Search found 8 matches

by mg153
10 Sep 2006, 22:21
Forum: Italian Genealogy
Topic: Looking for Surname - Sabbio
Replies: 40
Views: 20586

Re: Looking for Surname - Sabbio

Is this the manifest you're speaking of: http://tinyurl.com/hkfv8 You should be able to look at this one. Looks like your "Guiseppa" (or Giuseppa) was travelling with a sister, Maria Stella (not sure about that second name) and they were both going to a sister, Antonina, in New York. Mike.
by mg153
10 Sep 2006, 21:06
Topic: Looking for Surname - Sabbio
Replies: 40
Views: 20586

Re: Looking for Surname - Sabbio

Well... long-shot time? Here's an "Emanuele Sapio" (it's trascribed in the database as "Emanneli", but it looks like Emanuele to me) arriving at Ellis Island in 1906: http://tinyurl.com/l963k He's 27, so the ages would match. He's single at that time, and travelling to a brother ...
by mg153
09 Sep 2006, 19:21
Forum: Italian language, handwriting , script & translations
Topic: International Reply Coupon
Replies: 18
Views: 18001

Re: [International Reply Coupon] The Wild West

It is true: you could walk into Calgary right now and get a full-time restaurant job paying ~15 dollar/hour, with signing bonuses (like hockey tickets and/or cash) and full benefits. Of course, it would probably cost $500k for a starter home... 8O It's probably one of the few places where you could ...
by mg153
09 Sep 2006, 07:39

Re: International Reply Coupon

So next time I need a coupon and can't get one in Toronto I'll email you...might be easier to send you the money and have you send them to me from Saskatchewan. :lol: :wink: nuccia :lol: Well, that would be a little bit round-about, but just say the word! :wink: Hard to believe that they (or anythi...
by mg153
09 Sep 2006, 01:38

Re: International Reply Coupon

My suggestion is: come to Saskatchewan, of all places! I've sent letters to Italy from two different post offices here and nobody even blinked twice when I asked for IRCs!

Now I'll be worried next time I go, though... :wink:

Mike.
by mg153
07 Sep 2006, 20:31
Topic: Sanzi
Replies: 17
Views: 13126

Re: Sanzi

Hi Karen, You didn't give your grandfather's name, but there is a Riccardo Sanzi, age 22, who came through Ellis Island on Jan 21, 1921. It says he's from Taverna and going to his father Desiderio in Providence, RI (there's a record of Desiderio coming in 1906 with some other Sanzi family). It also ...
by mg153
07 Sep 2006, 09:16
Topic: Caraffa
Replies: 41
Views: 23458

Re: Caraffa

Nobody has found an earlier census record yet? It's always possible that the census taker got it wrong in 1930...

Nuccia, you're doing better than I would. I'm not sure I could find my computer without my glasses! :lol:

Mike.
by mg153
06 Sep 2006, 23:17
Topic: Caraffa
Replies: 41
Views: 23458

Re: Caraffa

Hi Sharon, I haven't seen anyone mention the Ellis Island records. There is a record for a Domenico Carafa, age 18, coming through Ellis Island on Jan 3, 1914. The manifest lists his place of birth as Pollutri (in the Chieti province of Abruzzo). It lists his place of residence as Montecilfone (in C...