International Reply Coupon

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sbollin

International Reply Coupon

Post by sbollin »

I am sending letters to individuals in Palermo Italy that may be related to me. I've read in other posts that it is recommended to include an international reply coupon when requesting civil records but is it recommended to include one when writing to an individual? Thanks.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: International Reply Coupon

Post by wldspirit »

Depends on how many letters you plan on sending.....could get quite expensive!!!

It is not neccesary, but if just a few letters are being sent......I would include one just to encourage a reply.

wldspirit
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

I just wanted to mention someting that happened to me when I went to go buy International Reply Coupons last month here in Canada.

We have "sub" post offices here..smaller offices placed in businesses to offer you stamps, registered mail services etc. Well when I walked into one and asked for the coupons..no one knew what I was talking about.

Thankfully, having worked in a sub for 4 years I was able to direct the clerk to where they might have them (they need to order their supplies directly from the head Post Office.) Of course, as luck would have it, they didn't have any since they cost $3.50 each here and there isn't a big demand for them.

I had to go to a main Post office to get mine. The system may be different in the US but I just thought I would mention it anyone.

nuccia :D
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Nuccia,

Same here (sub stations don't have)....when I went to get the last one even the main post office was out. Took them almost a month to get a supply...after sending, got a certificate, not an extract as requested :x , abt 4 months later.

:)
jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Emmy
Master
Master

Post by Emmy »

Same here in Scotland I was told the reason that our sub-post office didnt keep International Reply Coupons in stock was because they had only been asked for one in the past 3 years. I was also told at the main post office that the international coupons that they do have at present will only be valid until December this year. Then a new version is being brought out. At present they cost 65p each here.

Emmy
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

So...it seems the problem is all over!

I guess our best bet would be to call around first to see who actually has them in stock and then find out how long they're valid.

Perhaps request they bring in some specially for us (depending on expiration) so that we'll have them if we need them.

Any other suggestions?

nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
mg153

Post by mg153 »

My suggestion is: come to Saskatchewan, of all places! I've sent letters to Italy from two different post offices here and nobody even blinked twice when I asked for IRCs!

Now I'll be worried next time I go, though... :wink:

Mike.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Now that would be an expensive IRC!....Would enjoy the trip though.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
JenR
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JenR »

mg153 wrote:My suggestion is: come to Saskatchewan, of all places! I've sent letters to Italy from two different post offices here and nobody even blinked twice when I asked for IRCs!

Now I'll be worried next time I go, though... :wink:

Mike.
So next time I need a coupon and can't get one in Toronto I'll email you...might be easier to send you the money and have you send them to me from Saskatchewan. :lol: :wink:

nuccia
mg153

Post by mg153 »

JenR wrote:
So next time I need a coupon and can't get one in Toronto I'll email you...might be easier to send you the money and have you send them to me from Saskatchewan. :lol: :wink:

nuccia
:lol: Well, that would be a little bit round-about, but just say the word! :wink:

Hard to believe that they (or anything, really) would be easier to get your hands on out here...
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

mg153 wrote:
JenR wrote:

nuccia
:lol: Well, that would be a little bit round-about, but just say the word! :wink:

Hard to believe that they (or anything, really) would be easier to get your hands on out here...
I hear Out West is the place to be right now so don't be surprised if things get easier to get out there. Calagary is also becoming very popular again. Lots of people are leaving Toronto to head out there..jobs are supposedly easy to get and pay good money..Is it true?

Just realized that I posted quite a few things under my daughters name... :x

nuccia
mg153

Re: [International Reply Coupon] The Wild West

Post by mg153 »

It is true: you could walk into Calgary right now and get a full-time restaurant job paying ~15 dollar/hour, with signing bonuses (like hockey tickets and/or cash) and full benefits.

Of course, it would probably cost $500k for a starter home... 8O It's probably one of the few places where you could go and find that a fair number of the homeless have full-time employment. :!:

It's a bit of a slower pace in Saskatchewan! :)

Guess this thread is well and truly hijacked now... :oops:

Mike.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Guess this thread is well and truly hijacked now...
I didn't even notice this but I guess you're right..we are Image

Sorry...

nuccia
maddief
Rookie
Rookie

Post by maddief »

Does anyone know the translation of "international reply coupon"?
Graz

Post by Graz »

>Does anyone know the translation of "international reply coupon"?

In Italy we call them "Buono di risposta internazionale".
I never buy it but I've trouble every time I spend one of this in my Post Office.
The last time they told me "No one use "Buoni di Risposta Internazionale" in the last years... "
"Sorry madame but you told me the same story just a mounth ago!!"
She was quite disappointed!!!

Change the Post Office, but the story is the same.....

Ciao a tutti!
Graz