Pte 17195 Francis VALENTINE. Died 23/03/18

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
potf

Pte 17195 Francis VALENTINE. Died 23/03/18

Post by potf »

Pte Francis VALENTINE was in the 1st Btn Gordon Highlanders. He died on 23/03/18, in France, aged just 19 years. He is buried in Bac-Du-Sud cemetary. He was the son of Louis and Mary VALENTINE. Louis was born in Chiacio (?). By the time he was 21 he was an Italian immigrant, an ice cream manufacturer. I believe starting off in the Manchester area, before moving to Leeds. I believe other children of Louis and Mary were, Rose, Rene, Frederick and Louis jnr. Louis (snr) possible had a brother and sister, Tom and Louise. If anyone has any knowledge of Francis VALENTINE, or the above mentioned family, would they possibly be so kind as to email me either thorough this site or on Liz.Jones@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
Many thanks,
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Pte 17195 Francis VALENTINE. Died 23/03/18

Post by suanj »

potf wrote:Pte Francis VALENTINE was in the 1st Btn Gordon Highlanders. He died on 23/03/18, in France, aged just 19 years. He is buried in Bac-Du-Sud cemetary. He was the son of Louis and Mary VALENTINE. Louis was born in Chiacio (?). By the time he was 21 he was an Italian immigrant, an ice cream manufacturer. I believe starting off in the Manchester area, before moving to Leeds. I believe other children of Louis and Mary were, Rose, Rene, Frederick and Louis jnr. Louis (snr) possible had a brother and sister, Tom and Louise. If anyone has any knowledge of Francis VALENTINE, or the above mentioned family, would they possibly be so kind as to email me either thorough this site or on Liz.Jones@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
Many thanks,
Hi: Chiacio not exist in Italy..
I know that: an Luigi(Luis) Valentino(Valentino) ice cream manufacturer In Manchester(UK) born in 1859 in Italy -Corio town (probable no sure to 100%...is misspelled) Torino province, but wife Antonietta, brother Joseph (Giuseppe) Valentine(Valentino) in Manchester -Trafford (?)RD..., and has this children sure : John, Nancy, Anna, Angelina...
Just this not is your Louis, but probable same italian birthplace, why are many equal points .....the name, the profession, the england town...
suggestions? suanj
potf

Post by potf »

Many thanks Suanj!
:D

Its bizarre but this could have some connection.

The Louis Valentine I'm interested in (or more so his son, Francis) WAS born in 1859! Going by our 1901 census, Louis was married to a Bradford born lady, Mary. In 1901 they were living in Stamford Street, Leeds. I believe they also resided in Grafton Street and Briggate, both in Leeds. In 1901, Loius and Mary had five children, Frederick (10 years old in 1901), Freusa (13), Rose (11), Louis (6) and finally Francis who was 3 at the time.

Francis died in the battlefields of France, along with 17 others from his regiment that day - 23/03/18. He was 19.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

potf wrote:Many thanks Suanj!

Its bizarre but this could have some connection.

The Louis Valentine I'm interested in (or more so his son, Francis) WAS born in 1859! Going by our 1901 census, Louis was married to a Bradford born lady, Mary. In 1901 they were living in Stamford Street, Leeds. I believe they also resided in Grafton Street and Briggate, both in Leeds. In 1901, Loius and Mary had five children, Frederick (10 years old in 1901), Freusa (13), Rose (11), Louis (6) and finally Francis who was 3 at the time.

Francis died in the battlefields of France, along with 17 others from his regiment that day - 23/03/18. He was 19.
Hi:
you have some possibility of to request death's certificate of Louis(luigi)? probally are wrote birthplace!
You are interested of descover italian birthplace of Louis? Also about Francis(Francesco)? which of Louis sons it was been born in Italy? Nobody? You know maiden name of Mary? More the connection between your and my louis descovered, are possible only on birthplace ..I think.. You think are possible that your Louis coming from Corio(Torino)?
Regards.
suanj
potf

Post by potf »

Thanks again suanj!

I got the information or place "Chiacio" passed from a friend who had taken it from the UK 1881 census. Although the writing could have been difficult to read - it could possibly be something different.

At the age of 21, Louis was lodging in Manchester with a family called Bond. I don't know when he moved to Leeds or when he married Mary. All their children, including Francis, and the others named above, were born in Leeds.

I've been on this case for a few years now! It's fascinating! One thing that mystifies me is the fact I've been unable to find Francis' name on any War memorial.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

potf wrote:Thanks again suanj!

I got the information or place "Chiacio" passed from a friend who had taken it from the UK 1881 census. Although the writing could have been difficult to read - it could possibly be something different.

At the age of 21, Louis was lodging in Manchester with a family called Bond. I don't know when he moved to Leeds or when he married Mary. All their children, including Francis, and the others named above, were born in Leeds.

I've been on this case for a few years now! It's fascinating! One thing that mystifies me is the fact I've been unable to find Francis' name on any War memorial.
Hi, really, are this: Census - 1881 British Census
Luis VALENTINE Household
Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Information:
Birth Year <1860>
Birthplace Chiacoi, Italy
Age 21
Occupation Ice Cream Manufacturer (Confec)
Marital Status U <Unmarried>
Head of Household John BOND
Relation Lodger
Disability

--------------------------------------------------
Now: Chiacoi not exist, but perhaps is possible read Mormon's microfilm:
Source Information:
Dwelling 86 Church St
Census Place Lancaster, Lancashire, England
Family History Library Film 1342020 ( http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/library ... no=1342020 )
Public Records Office Reference RG11
Piece / Folio 4264 / 34
Page Number 17
-----------------
If I've the possibility of reading as Chiacoi are wrote, I'm able to know probable italian exact name town.... similar name town is CHIAUCI..also are the Valentinos from Caccuri/Catanzaro province(similar sound)
More: about Francis are possible to write to cemetary of Bac du Sud??
are this records, but nobody Francis around foreign soldiers dieds in France:

Nom Prénom Guerre Commune Dépt Source
VALENTINE Robert 1914-1918 La Ferté-sous-Jouarre 77 Mémorial britannique 1914-1918
VALENTINE William Joseph 1914-1918 La Ferté-sous-Jouarre 77 Mémorial britannique 1914-1918
and others....
regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I know you are seekinginformation on the family as well as Francis valentine. There are 73 references and lists of casualties in BAC DU SUD MILITARY CEMETARY (title to use) in www.google.com. I recommend that you research these entries for Francis (R.I.P.). Please let me know how you make out. Peter
potf

Post by potf »

Many thanks suanj and ptimber.

I'll keep trying and will post here as and when I come up with anything!
potf

Post by potf »

Many thanks suanj and ptimber.

I'll keep trying and will post here as and when I come up with anything!
potf

Post by potf »

Amazingly I found on the Internet the other day a photograph of one of
the houses where Francis and his family actually lived! On the same site there was also a photograph of his mothers shop.

It would appear the family remained in Leeds. I believe with the Valentine's ice cream company running till at least the 50's or 60's. My guess is that they were bought out by one of the major ice cream companies.

I'll keep nipping back and updating here!