Musacco Name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dominic1000

Musacco Name

Post by dominic1000 »

I have for several decades attempted to find the meaning of my last name, Musacco. I recently bought a book from Amazon.com titled "The Musacco Name in History", which in its online advertisement stated it provided the meaning and origin of the name Musacco. However, the book published by ancestry.com did not provide either the meaning or origin of the name in the book contents. Amazon.com provided me a refund, and I did not have to return the book.

My question, therefore, is: Are there any genealogical experts in this forum who can find the origin and meaning of the name Musacco?
Thank you for your help.

Steve
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Musacco Name

Post by Biff83 »

Steve,

Perhaps one of our Italian speaking members can translate.

http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 0011us.htm

Musacchi è tipico del ferrarese di Argenta e della stessa Ferrara, Musacco è specifico di Trani e Cerignola nel barese, dovrebbero derivare dal nome/soprannome medioevale Musaccus di cui abbiamo un esempio a Pisa nell'atto con il quale i Pisani giurarono di mantenere l'alleanza fatta con Siena, Pistoia e Poggibonsi, dove compare un certo Ranerius Musaccus, tracce di queste cognominizzazioni le troviamo a Conversano (BA) in un attodel 1709: "Acta pro reverendo canonico don Giacomo Musacco contra reverendum don Roccum Susca".

Buona Pasqua!
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Musacchi is typical of the province of Ferrara, in rthe town of Argenta and Ferrara itself. Musacco is specific of Trani and Cerignola, near Bari. They should have origin from the medieval name/nickname "Musaccus", of which we have an example in an affidavit in Pisa, when the Pisans swore to keep their alliance with Siena, Pistoia and Poggibonsi, where is mentioned a "Ranierus Musaccus". Traces of this name after becoming a surname can be found in an affidavit of 1709 in Conversano, near Bari.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
dominic1000

Post by dominic1000 »

Thank you both, Buona and Guiseppe. This helps with the origin of the name. What about the the meaning of the name?

Steve