Grandmothers Birth Certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
redangie24

Grandmothers Birth Certificate

Post by redangie24 »

I need to get a copy of my grandmothers birth certificate for my Italian dual citizenship. The problem is that most of the people I have talked to can only help me if I know what comume she is from. All I know is that she was (and most of my uncles and aunts) born in Sicily. My grandmother will not tell anyone exactly where she was born, she has gone so far as to deny my aunts and uncles access to their birth certificates by not telling them their original names (her married name to her first husband). So none of them know where they were born either, other than somewhere in Sicily. I know she is still a citizen since she gets her pension from Italy and has to check in with INS every year still. She has been in the U.S. for about 45 years. I tried to contact INS to find out if they could give me any information. Since I figured they would have to know where exactly she came from. But the INS said they could not help me since she is still alive and that would be a invasion of her privacy. I ordered my mothers birth certificate thinking it might be on there, but she put she was from Nancy France which is where she lived before coming to the U.S. (where she met and married my grandfather). Please! Please! If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. This is all the info I have:
Grandmothers name: Ginette Nina Marobini (spelling came from my mothers birth certificate there is a chance it is misspelled and the spelling might me Marabini)
Her birthdate: 7-20-1930
Grandmothers fathers name: Antinio Marobini (possible misspelled and might be Antonio)
Grandmothers mothers name: Loni Albertine
Thank You
Angie
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Grandmothers Birth Certificate

Post by wldspirit »

Rather tricky as privacy laws come into play..........have the Aunts/Uncles tried to access any other documentation on themselves??
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Do you know which state they lived in when first coming to the US.....will help in narrowing down a search....
wldspirit
redangie24

Post by redangie24 »

No one else has really had any intrest. My grandmother came to the U.S. with my grandfather in 1958 to Spokane, Washington (he left her with his parents while he finished his service at Fort Ord in California).
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

wldspirit,

Could she get her grandfather's military service record? If nothing else, should have where he was stationed at overseas......possibly info on his marriage too.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
redangie24

Post by redangie24 »

They don't keep marriage records. I know they were married in Vasencourt, France outside of Toole AB in 1956 or 1957, but no exact date. The thing that is so frustrating is that I am so close to having all the information, but I am just a little bit away from having enough information.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

This is just a suggestion, but try getting their marriage record (not just a certificate, complete record) from the town in France., it may provide you with the information you need.
redangie24

Post by redangie24 »

You know for some reason I was thinking I needed the exact date, but I problably would not need it if I did it myself instead of using an agency. Don't know why I did not think of that before. Thanks for bringing it up. Thanks for your help.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

You're welcome.

If you don't get the information from marriage record, let us know & maybe another member will have another suggestion.

Good luck in getting your dual citizenship.

jcsm
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Try the marriage record first.......one of our Italian posters may have an additional suggestion for locating info on birthplace as she is recieving pension from Italy......it would seem to me that this must be coming from the town of birth???
wldspirit
redangie24

Post by redangie24 »

It most likely does come from her hometown, but I only know that she gets it no one other than her and my step-grandfather sees it. Again, Icannot get the information from the U.S. as long as she is still with us. Which I do understand since some children and grandchildren have been known to use personal information for negative things. But I am working on finding someone to write a letter in French for me to send to where they were married. I will check up if I need help again after that point. Thank you--you guys are very helpful.
Angie
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It may be that she was not too specific on her marriage certificate either. You may want to try searching for her baptismal records. The Church has always kept excellent records, and my guess is that there may be only one diocese that serves all of Sicily. (If there are more, there would not be many.)

Armed with names and a birth date and a claim of doing genealogical research, the diocese will likely be able to locate the baptismal certificate, and this will note the place of birth.

I honestly think it's your best bet, because it was the only record on which your grandmother had no input and could not keep information hidden.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Using the following link, click on each section of the map for diocese information........

http://www.chiesedisicilia.org/?pagina_ ... 5a9c515caf

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Also, here is a standard request for church records, however, not all priest are willing to accomodate request....... :?

http://italiangenealogy.atspace.com/ita ... tter4.html

wldspirit
redangie24

Post by redangie24 »

Thanks for those links will be sending out requests soon.