Chmet Family Name

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Leanne82
Rookie
Rookie

Chmet Family Name

Post by Leanne82 »

Hi There,

I am looking for any related Chmet's. I know of the first Chmet's that were born in Stridone - then moved to Trieste, Italy.
My grandfather then moved to Australia in 1955.
mazdaz

Re: Chmet Family Name

Post by mazdaz »

Hi Leanne
Are you Joe's daughter? My mother is Anna Bartole nee Chmet from Stridone. Is your grandfather's name Vincent? If so, then they were brother and sister and we are related. I live in Sydney and can also give you details of other relatives if you wish.
cheers
Marilyn
Leanne82
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Leanne82 »

Hi Marilyn,
Unfortunately no, my fathers name is Gianni and my grandfathers name is Edoardo. He did have a brother and sister but they both passed away at a young age.
I do know of an Anna Maria Chmet in our family tree but she died in 1948.
I have been able to go as far back to 1836 where our original name was Kmet (according to the church records in Stridone) where two people of the same surname married - perhaps your family is from the other side?
Their names where Mathias (or Matej or Matthew) Kmet who married Dominika Kmet on 18.2.1868.
Cheers
Leanne
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Stridone is in Croatia I believe. Its current name is ZRENJ. The Catholic parish church is where contact information may be requested. The address is ZRENJ, ZRENJ 1.Parish records cover the years 1571 to 1902

For your information RODENI=BIRTH/ VJENCANI=MARRIAGE/UMRLI=DEATH

If you wish to check the telephone directory for Croatia go to www.numberway.com
=Peter=
~Peter~
Leanne82
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Leanne82 »

Hi Peter

Thank you, yes Stridone is in Istria - Croatia. I have already written to the priest who responded with a handwritten family tree of all the records he has, which was rather special.
If anyone needs his name or address let me know.
Cheers!
mazdaz

Post by mazdaz »

Hi Leanne
thank you for your reply. I live in Newtown Sydney and am happy to meet up with you if you'd like. I have been to Stridone about 4 times since 2001 and have some photos that you may like to see and we can compare notes if you like. Is the priest that you corresponded with Don Lino?
We are probably related somewhere down the track but I'm not sure how far down the track - both my grandparents were Chmets - granddad is Giuseppe Chmet from Pizzi and grandmother is Maddalena Chmet from Boscheri. I'll call my mum this evening and check with her.
cheers
Marilena
mazdaz

Post by mazdaz »

Leanne82 wrote:Hi Peter

Thank you, yes Stridone is in Istria - Croatia. I have already written to the priest who responded with a handwritten family tree of all the records he has, which was rather special.
If anyone needs his name or address let me know.
Cheers!
Hello Leanne
I checked with my mother - My grandad Giuseppe Chmet's parents were Matteo and Marina Chmet. My grandmother Maddalena Chmet's parents were Pietro Chmet and Antonia Marchesi (they had four children - Stefano, Pietro, Maria and my grandma Maddalena). I know of other branches of the Chmet clan in Stridone too who were related to me but further back along the chain. My mother wonders whether your clan are from Boscheri which is one of the areas in the village as they had separate names to identify different parts of the village. Let me know if you are interested in meeting up some time.
cheers
Marilena
Leanne82
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Leanne82 »

Hi Marilena,

Apologies, I must have missed your last reply. I will check with my grandfather if he can remember the specific part of Stridone. I can't see so far any of your familys names in my research but should be interesting to see whether there is a connection somewhere. I'm in Concord so not far from you. Perhaps we could meet up or I could email through the early stages of my family tree. You can contact me on lilpenguin1@hotmail.com if you like and we can go from there.
Cheers
Leanne
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Matteo, Matej, Matias and Mathias are variations of the same name and are translated Matthew.