Oliva-Rizzo family Milazzo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chicagomom

Oliva-Rizzo family Milazzo

Post by chicagomom »

Hello, I'm looking for information on my ancestors. Thanks for any help.

John (Giovanni) Oliva, born 1866 in Milazzo, Sicily, reportedly immigrated to the US in 1890 according to notes on a 1910 Philadelphia census. He was reported to have attended an Italian naval academy.

His parents were Joseph Domenico Oliva and Josephine Rizzo. Their other children included Salvatore Oliva, Maria Oliva, Regina Oliva.

Josephine Rizzo's father was Luigi Rizzo and was reportedly in the Italian navy in Venice during WW1.

Thanks for any help.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Oliva-Rizzo family Milazzo

Post by wldspirit »

What type of help do you need....are you looking to complete US records?
Italian records? Or just looking to connect with others researching the same lines?

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Microfilm is available for the town listed, dating back to 1820:

Microfilm

Italian Genealogical Word List

Guideline for using microfilm

Record extraction guide

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
chicagomom

Post by chicagomom »

Thanks. I'm looking to complete and correct information I have. I have no Italian records. I'll try the microfilm. Thanks for the suggestion.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Since Giovanni may have been drafted into the military service at the time Italy became a unified nation (1870's) and would have been 20 years of age in 1886 his military service records in the Italian Navy may be a form letter for his conscription records canbe requested at the Military section office of the provincial Archives at.... Archivio di Stato di Messina, sezione militare, Via 24 Maggio, Isol291-No.#18, 98122, Messina, Sicilia, Italy with request for conscription records in form letter located at www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html which will contain his biographical records and those of his immeidate family.

Further since he may have served in the Navy Academy you might wish to e-mail the Rome Naval archives at mstat.uagre.storico@marina.difesa.it and either write in simple english requesting any information about Giovanni, his bith year and possible service (1886=20 years of age). =Peter=
~Peter~
chicagomom

Post by chicagomom »

Thanks Peter for the helpful email and post addresses. I've written the Roman Naval archives and will contact the section office as you suggest.

Since Luigi Rizzo is something of a military hero, it was easy to find his date of birth and I'm now wondering if he was Josephine's son and not her spouse. I've found a link to a book on Luigi here, but the "how to order" link seems to be broken:

http://www.difesa.it/approfondimenti/ma ... 951%29.htm

Does anyone have another online source of information for him that includes biographical background? I'd like to know more about who his family members were (parents, children, spouse) to see if it is the same person mentioned in my family genealogy papers.

Thanks!
chicagomom

Post by chicagomom »

Hi Peter and all! I got a reply in Italian from the section office via email this morning. It sounds like I need to submit my request in writing, but can anyone translate for me? Thanks!
----------
in merito a quanto richiesto con l'e-mail in riferimento, si comunica che le notizie sul trascorso militare del Sig. Oliva possono essere ottenute inoltrando apposita richiesta di copia dell'estratto del foglio matricolare alla "Direzione Generale del Personale Militare - 5° Reparto - 17ª Divisione, Viale dell'Esercito n.186 - 00143 Roma - tel. 06 50230086" , cui è devoluta la custodia dei documenti matricolari.

Cordiali saluti.