Introduction from me, new member, Sicilian ancestry.

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Introduction from me, new member, Sicilian ancestry.

Post by darthsmozers »

Hello everyone,

I didn't see a board for introductions, so I thought I would just post an introduction here.

I have really enjoyed beginning to research my family's ancestry in the last few months. What helps to narrow it down is that out of my 4 grandparents, three of them are of Sicilian ancestry! They include Santo Stefano di Camastra, Favignana, Floridia, and Palermo. I seem to have traced back to one and two generations in Sicily via family memories, microfilmed obituaries, census, and immigration records, but getting further will be the challening part (being in the USA) and am not quite sure where to begin. I currently am reading Lynn Nelson's book "Genealogists Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors".

I'm not quite sure how this forum works just yet. Are there folks from Italy here as well? In any case, I hope to poke around here and perhaps post a few questions in time.

Thanks!
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Introduction from me, new member, Sicilian ancestry.

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum, :lol:

Members here are from the US, Canada, Italy, many South and Central American countries as well as other parts of Europe. I think your strategy of poking around, reading other posts, and asking questions is a good one.
Gather what information you have and then ask whatever questions you need answers to. Again, wecome.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps if you familiarize yourself with Italian genealogy then poking around will have more relevance for you.

Go to http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... earch.html

=Peter=
~Peter~
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

Will do. As I mentioned I've been reading, and having success here in the states to start. I'll take a look at your link. Thanks!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi and Welcome..

I thought you might be interested in this site - Palermo City Marriage Index, 1820 to 1895

Code: Select all

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~tornabene/index8.htm
I am having trouble linking it because of the ancestry.com portion which automatically creates a link of its own so copy and paste this link in your browser (the A in Ancestry should be lower case).
Hope this helps.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

Wow, very interesting! I see 3 matches total for two surnames in my family. Could be a new lead to follow. I'll definitely look into this further. This is awesome, thank you!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

You're Welcome! Good luck and keep us posted.
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

How did you come about that Palermo marriage index page anyway?
Researching Surnames:
Smolinski, Erwetowski, Natoli, Stella, Cianci;
Tammaro, San Germano, Scarna;
Lott; Van Valkenberg
Josten; Janorschke
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Huge, the person who extracted the files, is a member on this forum so the site has been posted here before.

If you use your search engine to google keywords you get some interesting hits. Play around and look at different sites..you will be surprised at what you can find.

Oh, and ask questions..members here are always willing to share their info with others. :)
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

thanks!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Hello, if you are interested, I have a friend who attends Trapani State Archive and can extract for you (for free) documents about Favignana civil record office, if you are interested let me know bye Riccardo
darthsmozers wrote:Hello everyone,

I didn't see a board for introductions, so I thought I would just post an introduction here.

I have really enjoyed beginning to research my family's ancestry in the last few months. What helps to narrow it down is that out of my 4 grandparents, three of them are of Sicilian ancestry! They include Santo Stefano di Camastra, Favignana, Floridia, and Palermo. I seem to have traced back to one and two generations in Sicily via family memories, microfilmed obituaries, census, and immigration records, but getting further will be the challening part (being in the USA) and am not quite sure where to begin. I currently am reading Lynn Nelson's book "Genealogists Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors".

I'm not quite sure how this forum works just yet. Are there folks from Italy here as well? In any case, I hope to poke around here and perhaps post a few questions in time.

Thanks!
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

ricbru wrote:Hello, if you are interested, I have a friend who attends Trapani State Archive and can extract for you (for free) documents about Favignana civil record office, if you are interested let me know bye Riccardo
darthsmozers wrote:Hello everyone,

Thanks!
That is very nice of you. Thank you very much! The particular ancestor (my great-grandfather) is who was from Favignana. I am currently trying to obtain specific information about him from my grandfather. I will PM you with any information I obtain. Thank you very much fror your offer!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

It is my pleasure,
my friend Rosario Salone will be happy to help you
I will wait for you to contact me
bye Riccardo
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

Your post prompted me to take a second look at an online obituary from here in New Jersey, USA. It is for my great-grandfather's brother, who passed last December. It lists their parents names! So I now have names and rough dates, but no specific dates yet.

Information is as follows:

Mother and father (my great-great grandparents): Pasquale Tammaro and Brigida Torrente Tammaro
Unknown dates or places of birth.
They had 11 children.
My great grandfather was one of their sons, Giuseppe Tammaro, born supposedly 2/22/1900 in Favignana. He married Philomena (Filomena?) Tallone, but unsure if that occured in IT or USA.
Giuseppe and Philomena, either together or seperately (I am uncertain) became USA citizens and gave birth to their children here in USA.

I will PM this to you as well just in case you don't see this reply.
darthsmozers
Rookie
Rookie

Post by darthsmozers »

This probably deserves its own topic by now, but I wanted to update and say after another check on Ellis Island, I discovered that Pasquale and his son Giuseppe immigrated to the USA on May 03, 1920 (date of arrival), having left the port of Palermo on April 18, 1920. Pasquale's age is listed as 43, so he should have an estimated birth year of 1877. Maybe this will help to narrow down any documents in Favignana?