Gardella Family of Cornia, Genoa, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
carabella

Gardella Family of Cornia, Genoa, Italy

Post by carabella »

Il mio grande - il nonno era Louis Gardella, sopportato il 10 marzo 1851 in Cornia, Genova. Il suo padre era Luigi Gardella che è stato sposato a Maria- che il cognome è sconosciuto. Louis ha immigrrato negli Stati Uniti in 1870 ed ha sposato Rosa Dondero. Finalmente si sono depositati nella città di Natick, Massachusetts, S.U.A. Era il primo immigrante italiano nella città ed è diventato un uomo molto sucessful di affari. Sto cercando le informazioni sulla famiglia di Luigi Gardella o tutta l'informazione sulla città. Grazie

My great grandfather was Louis Gardella, born March 10, 1851 in Cornia, Genoa. His father was Luigi Gardella who was married to Maria- last name is unknown. Louis immigrated to US in 1870 and married Rosa Dondero. They eventually settled in the town of Natick, Massachusetts , USA. He was the first Italian immigrant in the town and became a very sucessful business man.
I am looking for information on the Luigi Gardella family or any information about the town.
Thank you
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Gardella Family of Cornia, Genoa, Italy

Post by liviomoreno »

Cornia does not exist. Where did you find that name?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Livio, Villa di Cornia is a "frazione" of MOCONESI 16047 (GE)

www.tuttitalia.it/liguria/35-moconesi is town adminstrative website. Go to MUNICIPIO for address of both civil records and census files.

Form letters in Italian to these offices, usually free of charge, can be found

at http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html =Peter=
~Peter~
carabella

Post by carabella »

I have cited the source of my information regarding the place of birth for my great grandfather. Following is an excerpt of the article.
Gardella , Louis (late) - Born Cornia , Genoa, Italy, March 10, 1851. Son of Luigi and Maria Gardella. Came to U.S. in early 70’s settling in Boston , where he started in the fruit business in a small way, it grew to the largest fruit and produce business in the town[of Natick, Massachusetts, USA], on same location on Main St for 38 years.

Source: Leading Americans of Italian Descent in Massachusetts
Author: Joseph William Carlevale, 1946,
Viewed 22 Nov. 2009 Ancestry.com

If I might ask - is Cornia a neighborhood within a city/town? I am not sure I understand the geographics yet. Thank you for the information regarding contacts and forms.
Sincerely,
Cara bella
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

carabella wrote: If I might ask - is Cornia a neighborhood within a city/town? I am not sure I understand the geographics yet. Thank you for the information regarding contacts and forms.
Sincerely,
Cara bella
As Peter mentioned above Cornia is a hamlet of Moconesi, in the province of Genova see: http://maps.google.it/maps?hl=it&num=20 ... 1&t=h&z=11

This site http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/liguri ... ornia.html may give you some insight, in English.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
by death certificate the parent's name are a bit different:
Name: Louis Gardella
Death date: 27 Jan 1914
Death place: Natick,,Massachusetts

Race or color (expanded): White
Age in years: 63
Estimated birth year: 1851
Birth date: 1851
Birthplace: Italy
Marital status: Married
Spouse's name:
Father's name: Bartolameo Gardella
Mother's name: Rose Beachi ( maybe Bianchi)

Film number: 2404363
Digital GS number: 4284200
Image number: 02082
Reference number: 446
Collection: Massachusetts, Death Records, 1841 - 1915
http://img163.imageshack.us/i/42842002082.jpg/

1880 United States Federal Census
about Louis Gardell
Name: Louis Gardell
Home in 1880: Natick, Middlesex, Massachusetts
Estimated birth year: abt 1850
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's name: Rose
Father's birthplace: Italy
Mother's birthplace: Italy

Neighbors: View others on page
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Cannot read/write:

Blind:

Deaf and dumb:

Otherwise disabled:

Idiotic or insane: View image
Household Members: Name Age
Louis Gardell 30
Rose Gardell 30
Andrew Gardell 7
Tommy Gardell 5
Rojerry Gardell 3
Mary Gardell 1

Antonio O'Barti 27
Peter Bartoldi 33
Carsti Cumio 20

Carsti Cumio

regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
carabella

Post by carabella »

Thank you for your response. The death info is very significant. My info had his parents as Luigi and Maria. The census info belongs to another gentleman. A Mr. Gardell who is no relation, but I thank you for forwarding it to me. I am now in a quandry and will need to search both Luigi and Maria and Bartolomeo and Rose to figure out who belongs to who.
Many thanks!
Cara bella
carabella

Post by carabella »

I Have had time to look at the image that you sent and it is indeed my great grandfather. How did you find this record? I am truly amazed! I thank you so very much. :)
jflore

Post by jflore »

I am interested in your research on Louis Gardella. I am researching my great grandfather, Andrea Gardella, who was born in 1862 or 1863, the year varies depending on what document I'm looking at. Anyway, I noticed that a number of the boy's names are the same. If you are aware, most often in those days the eldest son is named after the paternal grandfather and the second son is named after the maternal grandmother. You have brought to me a new town to look in - Moconesi. The name Gardella is one of the oldest names in the valley Fontanabuona. Are you familiar with a man named Pier Felice Torre in San Colombano? He is considered the expert on genealogy in the Fontanabuona Valley. He is currently trying to find my grandfather's birth certificate for me. He can be e-mailed at pftorre@libero.it. He speaks English but e-mails in Italian. You are welcome to respond to me directly at jflore@bizwi.rr.com if you have any questions or information that you think we could share. Thanks!
carlotta

Post by carlotta »

My grandfather, Luigi Giovanni Volpone, was born in Cornia, Genoa, Italy around 1861. He emigrated to the U.S. (Newburyport, Mass.) near the turn of the century along with his wife, Carlotta (born Dondero). My father, Stephen Volpone, had three siblings: Charles, Rose, and Mary (who died when she was 10). Their cousins were Donderos. One family of Donderos lived in Newburyport on Dexter St. These were children of Angela (who I met as a child). I don't know their father's name. Most of the family remained single. Charlie, Louis, Jenny, and Charlotte. Mary Dondero married an Irishman whose name I forget. Another family of Donderos lived in Amesbury, MAss. They were the children of John (Carlotta Volpone's brother) and Pina (Luigi Volpone's sister). I remember Joseph, Jane, and Charlie, my father's cousins. I also remember the name Cassassa and imagine that the person (Carabella?) who posted about the Gardella family may be related to my family since she mentions a Dondero and the village of Cornia. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may have a connection to my family.
carabella

Post by carabella »

Interesting...All I know of the Donderos Family is that my G-G-grandmother was Rosa Dondero and that she married Louis Gardella and that they lived in Natick Massachusetts. The Gardellas came from Cornia. It would be wonderful to make a connection! My itlaina connection is the most difficult one so far.
stewey75
Rookie
Rookie

Post by stewey75 »

carlotta wrote:My grandfather, Luigi Giovanni Volpone, was born in Cornia, Genoa, Italy around 1861. He emigrated to the U.S. (Newburyport, Mass.) near the turn of the century along with his wife, Carlotta (born Dondero). My father, Stephen Volpone, had three siblings: Charles, Rose, and Mary (who died when she was 10). Their cousins were Donderos. One family of Donderos lived in Newburyport on Dexter St. These were children of Angela (who I met as a child). I don't know their father's name. Most of the family remained single. Charlie, Louis, Jenny, and Charlotte. Mary Dondero married an Irishman whose name I forget. Another family of Donderos lived in Amesbury, MAss. They were the children of John (Carlotta Volpone's brother) and Pina (Luigi Volpone's sister). I remember Joseph, Jane, and Charlie, my father's cousins. I also remember the name Cassassa and imagine that the person (Carabella?) who posted about the Gardella family may be related to my family since she mentions a Dondero and the village of Cornia. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who may have a connection to my family.

Hi, I have a connection to the Donderos from amesbury. My great uncle was Charles Dondero. He had a sister Jane who lived across the street from them. His parents were Gio Battista Dondero and Guiseppina "Josephine" Volpone. I live in this area still and would love to fin out more! :). Tammy
carabella

Post by carabella »

Hi,
I really have very , very little information about the Gardella/Dondero families. I wish I had listened more when I was a child. All I know about Rose Dondero- who was my great grandmother - is that she was married to Louis Gardella and they lived in Natick, Massachusetts. I know nothing about the Donderos. I don't recall my Nana ever mentioning anything about any aunts or uncles. It is very frustrating. I keep hoping that a death certificateor death notice or something will show up with Roses parents names or siblings. Rose died in Natick in 1922. My nana passed away in 1978 and my Mom passed in 1991 and there are no documents, letters or anything to start a search with.
shelleymae

Post by shelleymae »

Hi,
My husband's family are also Gardellas and still live in Neirone Italy in Genoa. Here is a link to a website with more info on the family and town. Hope this helps some!

http://www.guarnieri.com/neirone.htm

Regards,
Martha
carabella

Post by carabella »

Martha!

Wow! Thank you so much for the link to your homepage. My Nana's family must be from the area - Gardella and Dondero families-. I am having a very hard time finding the death records of my great grandmother Rose Dondero in Natick, Massachusetts, USA. If I can get her information then I will be able to get back further. In the meantime I have to tell you that due to your website and all the work and donations that you received, I feel Like I have a bit of my heart there in Italia. :D
Sincerely,
Carabella