Help translating

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
traeumer

Help translating

Post by traeumer »

I just returned from vacation & I scored big time when my aunt gave me a copy of the family tree for my birthday. Unfortunately parts are written in old italian & none of us can read it. (I've looked at several of the on-line dictionaries, but some words still can't be translated.) I'd appreciate help with translating the following sentences & words:

NEL: (Either means marriage or death of the wife...)

DIS EDENZA DA: (This could be one word or more than one word--but it looks like it is two words... I think it means "the line of")

C?PITA????CAE VENETA NO A LAPAC: (Unfortunately the person who updated the tree in the 17th century obscured some words, so I can't read it. Some of these words could also be combined...because of the style of the artist, it's hard to tell which letters are together. It could mean "* * Venice no longer, to LAPAC." LAPAC could be more than one word or an abbreviation. Any clue where it could be?)
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Help translating

Post by mfjp »

That was quite the gift from your aunt!

I did spend some time looking for latin terms, even using wildcards * in my search of those partial words you listed...

DIS EDENZA DA does look like "descendant of" or "line of" as you had mentioned.....
descent \De*scent"\, n. [F. descente, fr. descendre; like vente, from vendre. See Descend.
Derivation, as from an ancestor; procedure by generation; lineage; birth; extraction

But as for the rest of the words..???.. could you maybe post a copy of the document somewhere....or give us a link, it's hard to translate your translation.... I always thought the word "nel" meant "in the"...

suanj - where are you???
traeumer

Post by traeumer »

Thanks for looking around for me. The document is 4.5 feet tall by 3 feet wide, so I can only take pics of small parts of it. I can post pics, but it will be a while since I don't have a digi camera.

Ciao,
Rick
traeumer

Post by traeumer »

You're probably right with NEL. I'll give you an example:

1691 FRANZESCO MASATO IN CATERINA ROCO NEL 1716 OB 1744

Another question:

I assume that the 1744 refers to his death and not her death. What do you think?
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

OB died/obituary ABBREVIATION OBITUS death LATIN

The words "IN" and the "1691" is confusing me! Is there more information to this sentence? I don't really want to assume... but it would look like it is referring to his death. Can you give a little more detail? (I'm learning with you)... that's the beauty of this forum...
traeumer

Post by traeumer »

Unfortunately there is no more info in that circle (The tree is composed of circles which represent people born to the family.) The format for each circle is almost exactly the same, except that they stopped using NEL in the mid 18th century. There is never more than one date of death listed in any circle.

(1691 is the year of FRANZESCO's birth & "IN" means that he married that person.)