Researching San Daniele del Friuli Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Obelix
Rookie
Rookie

Researching San Daniele del Friuli Records

Post by Obelix »

My wife's family come from the beautiful town of San Daniele and before the '50's lived there and in the surrounding villages for generations.

We will be going there for a short visit later this year.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get permission to inspect archives at the Commune? In theory, this would speed our research up, as it should be possible to trace several generations at one go while we are there, and give us leads as to what other communes the ancestors may have come from.

I would be interested in hearing your views as to the practicality of this.

We both speak and can read sufficient Italian to get by.
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Researching San Daniele del Friuli Records

Post by misbris »

When I visited my family's comune, I was able to see the actual records, but was not left alone with them. My cousin who lived in the town brought me and introduced me around. They were happy to help and I got my grandparents" birth and marriage certificates. They would have helped me look for more, but the records only went back to 1865.

If you still have family there, I think it would be fairly easy to do. Even if you don't, I think the fact that you speak Italian will ease your way.

Remember, though, there is confidentiality laws regarding recent records.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

http://www.tuttitalia.it/friuli-venezia ... del-friuli is the town website for basic information concerning the town so as not to overlook the obvious.

You will be dealing with a municipal government office of a national agency. This means that you will be seeking a waiver. The only person that comes to mind is the Mayor. Your approach to the Mayor for a waiver of the usual business practices of his comune may entail some creativity.

Perhaps getting someone's ear may be the best way to initiate matters. Perhaps a direct request to the officer in charge may be all that is needed.The local Library on Via Roma may be a worthwhile visit. Sorry that I cannot provide you with more tangible words of advice. =Peter=
~Peter~
Narduzzi

Post by Narduzzi »

did you ever have any luck finding vital records in San Daniele? My ancestors are from San Daniele and I am trying to make contact with someone who can help me get birth and marriage certificates so I can obtain Italian citizenship.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Don't sell yourself short. You can either write in advance of your trip and ask for records to be mailed to you or advise them that you will be coming to their offices to pick up the records you are seeking. Most records are free of charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
Narduzzi

Post by Narduzzi »

ok. I will write to the local office and request the records in San Daniele. Thanks
TessaG

Post by TessaG »

I just returned from San Daniele where both my parents were born. I got all my information from the parish office. I never made it to the municpality offices.

We made an appointment with the volunteer parish archivist and when we arrived, the monsignor showed up. My mother mentioned her brother (he was a former priest there) and the monsignor recognized the name. He told the archivist to help us with whatever we need. We were very fortunate to spend almost 6 hours with him over 2 days and we were able to go back to 1701. That means I was able to trace 4 sets of grandparents (and their families) who lived, were baptized, married, and died in that region for well over 300 years. No wonder I feel my bloodlines draw me/call me to the soil there.

The parish records are amazingly intact, despite wars, moves from other churches, etc. We didn't see any water or fire damage. The calligraphy of the clergy is beautiful. Some records are faint because the ink has faded but the archivist there is very knowledgeable and can read them. Note that pre-1850, the records were in Latin so some knowledge of Latin is helpful to pushing past roadblocks. For example, Giovanni is Johannes.

Also, what really helped us is that we found some family information using the nickname for the family, often similar to the surname. Nicknames in San Daniele are BIG; so important are they that the clergy recorded them next to the proper Italian surnames. Two of our families nicknames go back to the 1700s!

Lastly, while the archivist is a retired gentleman and a parish volunteer, my mother and I paid him for his time, about $300 mixed US and CDN funds. We also made a $200 CDN donation to the church. All monies were given in envelopes as is customary and respectful, according to my mother.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am very happy for your discoveries. I would make copies and snd them to family members known and unknown in the world outside of Italy so that these records are not lost in the family since some people may not be interested while others will appreciate them over the centuries. Peter
~Peter~
TessaG

Post by TessaG »

Indeed. EVERY family branch wants copies of my tree so I'll be busy.

What started out as a project I want to leave as a legacy to my brother's children is turning out to be much bigger and I'm so thankful. I feel it is drawing the family together in a small way.

I also intend to brush up on my calligraphy skills so that I can make more artistic versions of the tree that people might want to frame.
krash142
Veteran
Veteran

Post by krash142 »

Hello, my great-grandfather Luigi came from San Daniele del Friuli in the 20s and I have always wanted to know his family's history. However, I can only trace his ancestors to the about 1800 and this is through Napoleonic civil records, and I want to see parochial records. If you could give me a link to a database with parochial records from any time before 1870 it would be appreciated.