grandmother's birth certificate

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

grandmother's birth certificate

Post by themilitantcatholic »

I am in the process of acquiring the necessary documents in order to apply for Jus Sanguinis. I had no problem receiving my grandfather's Italian birth certificate. The problem is with my attempts to get my grandmother's birth certificate. On the Ellis Island website, the Ship's Manifest shows that she was 10 months old and came over with her parents and older sister. The town of Cirigliano was written down as their residence. I contacted Cirigliano, they have no record of her birth. It is possible that her parents did not get an official birth certificate for her, before they left for the U.S., what would be my next option? to acquire a "no record found" document for her birth?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: grandmother's birth certificate

Post by PeterTimber »

Did you send an italian language form letter requesting the birth record so that there is no problem with their interpretgation?

If not send another letter in AItalian found at this website:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... action.asp

There is no charge for a birth record but requests must be in Italian language..When requesting ther birth record request a long form=Estratto di Nascita= which has more information.

The only possiblity if there is no record is that she was born in another comune before departing Italy for the USA with her parents. =Peter=
~Peter~
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

PeterTimber wrote:...When requesting ther birth record request a long form=Estratto di Nascita= which has more information...
The name of the document which contains a larger number of information is: "estratto per copia integrale" (dell'atto di nascita, or matrimonio or morte depending in what kind of information you are looking for)

L.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Welcome to the forum, :D

Her last town of residence is not necessarily her town of birth. Were you able to (or did you ask for) birth or marriage certificates for her parents?

If you would like us to help track down place of birth, post the manifest or provide us with some details (Name, date of immigration, parents siblings, etc.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I usually prefer to use the estratto di nascita since it hasd parents names and thats about what most people seek. They can always request for more information if they so choose. In this above case they donot know where the 10 month old child was born which is what is being sought. =Peter=
~Peter~
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for the quick responses. The Estratto dell'atto nascita was used to obtain my grandfather's birth certificate. And the same was used in the attempt to obtain my grandmother's. Both requests were sent in Italian, I paid for the service to have it done, since I am not fluent in writing Italian. That is a good idea about getting her parent's marriage certificate. This is a strange case of "the missing birth certificate" reason being is that my grandmother came here at a very young age, so maybe her parents did not get a birth certificate for her. Also, my father never had a birth certificate, even though serving in the Navy. In 1980, after my grandmother died in 1975, he had to get a "Delayed Record of Birth" and on this document it says that my grandmother was born here in the U.S., yet there is no record of her being born here either. Misbris, I will give you the necessary information in a later post. Again, this is a strange case, yet I hope to solve it.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

PeterTimber wrote:...In this above case they donot know where the 10 month old child was born which is what is being sought. =Peter=
I didn't refer to this particular case, but it was a general information being that an "estratto per copia integrale" has always more information than a simple "estratto".
L.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

misbris wrote:Welcome to the forum, :D

Her last town of residence is not necessarily her town of birth. Were you able to (or did you ask for) birth or marriage certificates for her parents?

If you would like us to help track down place of birth, post the manifest or provide us with some details (Name, date of immigration, parents siblings, etc.

Her Parents:
Mother: Antonia Dangoia
Father: Vincenzo Dangoia
Passenger Record: June 17th 1903
Ship Name: Lombardia
Port of Departure: Napoli
Last known address: Cirigliano

My grandmother's birthdate: 5/10/1903
Three different possible names for my grandmother:
Anna Theresa Dangoia
Maria Theresa Dangoia
Theresa Dangoia

Considering that she came to the U.S. as an infant, it is possible that her parents did not get a birth certificate for her, before leaving Italy.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

I sent you a PM :wink:
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the link for the manifest...

Teresa (line 7) is listed as 10 months old which might put her birthdate at August or September of 1902.

They are going to Chicago to join Antonia's father, Francesco Laurenzano.

T.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

I am going to try and acquire Antonia's Marriage Certificate.
themilitantcatholic
Rookie
Rookie

I have my father's "Delayed Birth Certificate" and it shows that my grandmother was born here in the U.S., I am concerned that if I do in fact trace down my grandmother's Italian birth certificate, that will show conflicting information, which will cause the Consulate to deny me the dual-citizenship.
TiffanyLamkin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TiffanyLamkin »

Themilitantcatholic- I believe that we are related. My great-great grandfather was Angelo Dangoia, brother of Vincenzo. Angelo's son Guiseppe was my great grandfather. He married Maddeline Laurenzano in Manhattan in 1908. I have not been able to find a record of his passage to America, although I was able to find two of his brothers (Gennaro and Giovanni) coming to America at different times and listing their brother Guiseppe in NYC as their final destination. If anyone could help me find a record of Guiseppe's passage, I would be grateful.
Thanks!
Tiffany Dangoia Lamkin
dsthompson

Post by dsthompson »

Hello! I am Vincenzo and Antonia's great-granddaughter, Dianna. Rocco, your uncle, was my grandfather.