Family from Montenerodomo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
familyfromtheboot

Family from Montenerodomo

Post by familyfromtheboot »

Both of my mother's parents were from Montenerodomo. Both sides also have all of the same surnames too! I am researching the Rossi's, D'Antonio's, and Carozza's from Montenerodomo. My great grandmother was Rosaria Carozza. She was born in 1891 to Ludovico Carozza and Gelsomina Rossi. Rosaria had a brother (Antonio Carozza) that I am looking for more info about. He was electrocuted while working in the coal mines in Washington County, PA somewhere between 1915 and 1917. Maybe the Vesta #5 mine??
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Family from Montenerodomo

Post by pink67 »

On the site Ancestry.com I found this military enlistment for the First Worl War for Antonio Carozza, Could have been your relative?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
about Antonio Carozzo
Name: Antonio Carozzo
County: Allegheny
State: Pennsylvania
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 13 Oct 1890
Race: Caucasian (White)
FHL Roll Number: 1852335
DraftBoard: 8

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqLh5aA

date is June 5, 1917
address was 1134 Ridge - Clairton -Allegheny County - PA
He stated he was a naturalized citizen by his father's papers, born in Italy in Montenero D? .
He stated he was working for the Monongahela Tube Co. in Wilson PA
Had wife and two children...

from: http://www.15122.com/YOHOGANIA/Clairton ... istory.htm

The works of the Monongahela Tube Company were opened in 1899. Both the Oliver and Monongahela mills were located on the river plain between the Clairton-Glassport Bridge and the present benzol plant of the Carnegie-Illinois Steel Company.

Laura :D
familyfromtheboot

Thank you for searching for info for me. I do not think this is my direct relative. My great grandmother was the first born in 1891. I think Antonio Carozza was born abt. 1895. This is probably a relative though. Montenerodomo is a very old and very small town of about 1000 people. I appreciate your efforts.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Do you have ship's manifests for Rosaria and Antonio?
familyfromtheboot

I do not have either manifest. I do know that Rosaria Carozza Rossi came to the U.S on November 5, 1926 on the Conte Biancomano with her 3 daughters.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

familyfromtheboot

Thank you. I will have to save this manifest. This could be him.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

familyfromtheboot wrote:I do not have either manifest. I do know that Rosaria Carozza Rossi came to the U.S on November 5, 1926 on the Conte Biancomano with her 3 daughters.
Looks like June 8, 1926 to me:

Carozza-Rossi Page 1

Carozza-Rossi Page 2

Rosa Carozza, aged 34, travelling with her daughters Giuseppina Rossi (14), Teresina (10), and Maria (7). All from Montenerodomo, meeting husband/father (Giovanni?) in Aliquipe, Pennsylvania.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
familyfromtheboot

That is them! My Grandma is Teresa. Where did you find that??? Thank you!!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

familyfromtheboot wrote:That is them! My Grandma is Teresa. Where did you find that??? Thank you!!
ancestry . com

Here are more surprises; Giovanni's Certificate of Arrival, Declaration of Intent, and Petition for Naturalization.

Certificate of Arrival/Declarition of Intent

Petition, Page 1

Petition, Page 2
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
familyfromtheboot

I found it on ancestry.com now. Sine I had the wrong date, I could not find the ship. Thanks so much. This site has been so helpful.
familyfromtheboot

Thank you Johnnyonthespot! Those were great surprises. I just recently subscribed to ancestry.com and am still learning how to better search for the info I am looking for.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

You're welcome.

Giovanni's manifest is going to be very difficult to find as many of the microfilms for his voyage (SS Pannonia arrived Ellis Island April 5, 1920) are badly focused and only partially transcribed.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: Once again, we see that what we think we know for certain often turns out to be incorrect. Rosa arrived June 8, 1926 not Rosaria November 5, 1926, for example.
Carmine

misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Johnny is right,

People's memories are not as accurate as they think. It is always better to do a little wider search, you find all kinds of goodies. :wink: