Need help with manifest

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mfjp
Master
Master

Need help with manifest

Post by mfjp »

With thanks!
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Need help with manifest

Post by ptimber »

The only numbers that show up is the amount of money he had in his possession upon arrival. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Peter, thank you for your quick reply. Ok, it does have a faded "no" as to whether he was in America before. But next to that faded "no" has a 902-905 (assuming it is 1902-1905?) with a line running through it... and "ditto" marks for the word Rossland. Was this an error of some sort?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I suspect that he was in transit in those years and never was admitted to the USA as requested in the "have you ever been in the USA before". Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Thank you for your help Peter.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Records for Canada USA border crossing were kept starting 1895. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Go to www.Nara.gov and select search and then insert immigration in keyword and then select 2nd line and then among other things are Canada-USA border crossings 1895-1924. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Hi Peter, this is so wierd!! I was just at the Nara webset for the last hour or so looking up information about immigrants and manifests... got frustrated and left that site. Went to this italiangenealogy site... and there you were... you had just posted your message seconds after I got to this site... can you read minds too???

ok... how do you access records - records of people in transit... many of my paesanos went to Ellis first... and then to British Columbia.. were there any records of them crossing the border from U.S.A. to Canada??

I love to research the Ellis Island Manifests... at least it gives you results... but the Nara site drives me crazy... what online documents can one view at the Nara site??

mfjp