Burlando Family in Genoa - Placido was a seaman

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
taylorron

Burlando Family in Genoa - Placido was a seaman

Post by taylorron »

Hi all. I am looking for members of the Burlando Family, Genova..... Placido Burlando was a seaman, Chief engineer and I think eventually a captain in the late 1800's early 1900's. One of the ships he worked was the Cerea. Connected to him is a Renata Brunorini. I believe that the Burlando name was her mothers maiden name.

Thanks.

Ron Cantoni
rcantoni@comcast.net
My Father Bruno Cantoni, is from Parma Italy, 1927.
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Burlando Family in Genoa - Placido was a seaman

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Ron, I've been hunting around for ages and have not been able to locate any records for seamen, or shipping records, as I also have one, though about 100 years earlier, from the port of Naples.
This has spurred me on to have another try, and I'll be interested to follow this and see if anyone comes up with a clue.
Good luck with your search!
Caroline.

I did just find this little item from the NY Times though - my search seemed more interested in producing results about 'cereal' but there were a few listings with the Cerea.
I've tried to attach it, but it didn't work, so here is the link to open the PDF.
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.h ... 946896D6CF
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
taylorron

Post by taylorron »

Hi Caroline, Thanks.... I have found two references to Placido Burlando in Ancestry.com, bothof them have him listed as a member of the crew. The first is on the SS Cerea, apr 1 1924, the other is on the SS Moncenisio, Jul 4 1919. I agree, trying to find Italian Merchant Marine history has been a challenge. The clue I had was a photo I recently obtained from a cousin. Her Mom had a photo of Placido Burlando and the picture had the name SS Cerea written on it. Hope this pans out!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

taylorron wrote:Hi all. I am looking for members of the Burlando Family, Genova..... Placido Burlando was a seaman, Chief engineer and I think eventually a captain in the late 1800's early 1900's. One of the ships he worked was the Cerea. Connected to him is a Renata Brunorini. I believe that the Burlando name was her mothers maiden name.

Thanks.

Ron Cantoni
rcantoni@comcast.net
I found some travel of Placido Burlando ( born abt 1866)

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Placido Burlando
Name: Placido Burlando
Arrival Date: 4 Jul 1919
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: european
Ship Name: Moncenisio
Search Ship Database: Search the Moncenisio in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 4
Microfilm Serial: T715

Aransas, Texas Crew Lists, 1912-1965
about Placido Burlando
Arrival Date: Sep 1919
Ethnic Background: White
Ship Name: Moncenisco
Port of Departure: Venice, Italy
Port of Arrival: Port Aransas, Texas
Microfilm Roll Number: A3398_2

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Placido Burlando
Arrival Date: 1 Apr 1924
Port of Departure: Ports Seeches S Piombeuo and Leghorn and Lisbon and Bermuda
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Ship Name: Cerea
Search Ship Database: Search the Cerea in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 5
Microfilm Serial: T715
Microfilm Roll: T715_3469
Page Number: 87

1° engineeer and chief engineer
no more infos...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
taylorron

Post by taylorron »

Thanks Very Much! The Aransas, Texas Crew Lists, 1912-1965 is new for me. He always lived in Italy, never migrated to the states so all the data I need to find on him I am sure is in Genova.
abaltierrez

Post by abaltierrez »

It has been a long time since your original post, but my great-grandmother went by Renata Brunorini, her married name was Renata Scarlatti. She was also from Genova. How was he "connected" to her?
taylorron

Post by taylorron »

Hello.... My greatGrandmother is Renata Scarlatti, stage name Renata Brunorini..... I am decended from her through her first daughter Anna. Which child of Renata is your grand parent? Ron Cantoni

rcantoni@comcast.net
abaltierrez

Post by abaltierrez »

That's amazing! Also, I have to correct my statement before, Renata was my great-great-grandmother. My Great-Grandmother was her youngest (child number 12 I believe) Rosa Scarlatti. I'm sure you've seen before, but I believe that Renata and Anna (your grandmother) are on the Ellis island registry. How was Placido connected with Renata? I will send you an e-mail with more questions/information. Thanks!