renew passport

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gaetano1

renew passport

Post by gaetano1 »

hi can any one tell me what to do as i have sent my passport to the italian consulate and they want my ex wifes signurture as i have a boy onder 18 years old but i have not seen them for five years and dont know where she has gone to .tryied to find them but with no luck what can i do to get my passport can any one help me
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: renew passport

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Your wife's signature is required only if you want your son listed on your passport. Since this would make it possible for you to take your son out of the country, Italy requires that both parents be in agreement.

If you leave your son off (or remove his name from) your passport, you will not need your wife's signature.

PS: If you are determined to have your son listed on your passport, you will probably have to get your custody lawyer and/or a court involved.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

No, the Italian government wants the wife's signature on the application even if the child's name is not listed on the passport. It's an anti-child abduction measure.
teddi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by teddi »

No, the Italian government wants the wife's signature on the application even if the child's name is not listed on the passport. It's an anti-child abduction measure.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Teddi, you appear to be correct.

How odd. I don't see the point; if the first parent agrees not to list his son on the passport, how is he going to abduct him out of the country? To say that an adult male cannot obtain a passport for himself without his ex-wife's consent makes no sense at all.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
gaetano1

Post by gaetano1 »

so what do i do about getting my passport i can not trace where they are it has been 5 years since i have seen them she has moved out of the area with out telling me where she has gone to
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Which consulate? Have you explained the problem? What was their response?

You may need an Italian advocate to assist you. The New York consulate, for example, under Consular Services -> Legal Office ( http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/Consol ... /Notarile/ ), has a link to a list of law firms in the area ( http://www.consnewyork.esteri.it/NR/rdo ... re2009.doc ) which may be able to help.

I wish I had some other ideas; this seems grossly unfair to me.
Carmine

gaetano1

Post by gaetano1 »

i live in england and the consulate are in manchester they are makeing my life hell and i dont know what to do next. i need my passport as i have a sick mother in italy. all they keep saying is i have to have my ex wifes signurture and i keep telling them i can not find where she is
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Do you have citizenship other than Italian (Great Britain, perhaps)? If so, why can't you travel to Italy on another passport? Or just an ID card if EU/Schengen?

I suggest you post a message on the Expats in Italy "Bureaucratic Situations" forum. Someone there will likely be able to offer advice.
Carmine