Italian music

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Italian music

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I listen to a lot of music from other countries. Id like to find some good Italian music to listen to just for enjoyment but also to help hear the language. Im looking for "todays" music. Whats popular with young people in Italy today, like pop or dance music?

Alicia
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Italian music

Post by Squigy »

DeFilippis78 wrote:I listen to a lot of music from other countries. Id like to find some good Italian music to listen to just for enjoyment but also to help hear the language. Im looking for "todays" music. Whats popular with young people in Italy today, like pop or dance music?

Alicia
Well, I've never listened to her, but a user on here (Italysearcher's) niece is a singer. Her name is Anna Tatangelo. I believe her music is popular with young people in Italy.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Thanks Squigy! She is expecting a baby due any day now. Her partner Gigi D'ALessio is very popular too.
Check out San Remo 2010 for the most recent songs.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I really enjoy listening to Filippo Neviani (performs under the name "Nek"). In particular, the first ten songs on his "Best of Nek: L'anno Zero" album. I shouldn't say that; I like them all - I just really like the first ten. :)

Some links:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nek

http://www.nekweb.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-be ... id72805127

Also, Laura Pausini's "Best of Laura Pausini - E ritorno de te"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Pausini

http://www.laurapausini.com/

http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-be ... id14860421

Tips: a) both of these artists record in more than one language. When buying, make certain you are getting the Italian version. b) There are innumerable sites on the web which publish the lyrics to popular music; I find it really helps to listen to these songs a few times while following along with the printed lyrics.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Hey Carmine,

I saw what your talking about...Laura Pausini sings in spanish too. So I was confused at first thinking I had the wrong one. I will have to check out Nek also. Im a big music fan and I find when it comes to learning another language it can be helpful. It depends on how fast they are singing though :)

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

The Nek album has a good mix of quick tempo and slow songs. My favorite is "Tu Sei, Tu Sai" ("You are, you know" ?); it has that great Italian lilt to it and is very sing-alongable if you get the printed lyrics.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I just downloaded the album on my ipod. Sounds good. And you say I can find the lyrics to go with it?

Alicia
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Gigi D'ALessio, is very good. And I love Eros Ramazzotti. He did a song with Tina Turner that was really good. His love song with Anastasia is one of my favorites.
When you say "today's music", what is your preference? If you can name some of the bands that you currently listen to it would give us an idea of what direction to point you in.
Lee

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thats a difficult question to answer. I guess by "today" I mean the top hits. Ironically I dont listen to Americas music from today. Im an Elvis fan, Doo Wop, Oldies, Beatles, type person. The old stuff although Im only 31.

The other music I listen too is arabic like egyptian, lebanese, etc. But that is only because I do egyptian belly dance.

I guess what Im looking for is dance music, something upbeat :)

Alicia
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Eros and Gigi are more like.....pop or soft Rock, by my standard anyway. I listen to everything....I can go from listening to a band like Shinedown and then put on Motown....even Country, like Trace Adkins.
Eros does have some danceable tunes...you can find an extensive listing of videos on Yahoo music for most of the names mentioned in the thread.

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I checked out Eros. Im not really digging his voice. Ill try Gigi.

Alicia
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Well, Biff, if we are going down that road, then we can't possibly ignore Concetta Rosa Maria Franconero - better known to people of a certain generation as Connie Francis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Francis

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... type=&aq=f
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Hey I love that old stuff. Keep it coming!

Alicia
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Posted this on Nuccia's site but worth repeating here and it's not that off topic because these Doo Wop songs are by groups whose members can trace their ancestry back to the old country. The following is a small sample. Hope you enjoy these as much as I do.

There's a Moon Out Tonight by the Capris
"The group originated in Ozone Park, Queens in 1957 when they were teenagers.[1] The original members were Nick Santamaria (aka Nick Santo, lead), Mike Mincelli (first tenor), Frank Reina (second tenor), Vinnie Narcardo (baritone), and John Cassese (bass). They were all around 15 years of age at the time and still in school. Vinnie, Mike, and John all went to John Adams High School, while Nick was a student at Woodrow Wilson and Frank attended Franklin K. Lane. Mike Mincelli, started the group and recruited the members. In the spring/summer of 1958 the final member was recruited and really got things together. They originally called themselves "the Supremes" but soon changed to "The Capris". It is often thought their name came from the island of Capri, since the boys were all Italian, but Nick confirmed in a 1993 interview with Greg Milewski, that they named themselves after the 1950's Lincoln Capri."--wiki

Hushabye by the Mystics
"The Mystics are a singing group which began in Brooklyn, New York, USA in the late 1950s. The group was known as The Overons, a quintet that, when signed to Laurie Records, consisted of Phil Cracolici (b. 1937, lead), Albee Cracolici (b. 1936, baritone), George Galfo (b. 1939, second tenor), Bob Ferrante (b. 1936, first tenor), and Al Contrera (b. 1940, bass). Under the direction of their manager, Jim Gribble, The Overons became The Mystics when each group member wrote a name they liked on a slip of paper, placed the papers in a hat and Al Contrera's choice was drawn."--wiki

You Belong to Me by the Duprees
"The group was founded in the early 1960s in Jersey City, New Jersey by William L. Dickinson High School students Michael Arnone, Joe Santollo, John Salvato, Tom Bialoglow, and lead singer Joey Canzano (later known as Joey Vann). George Paxton, a former big band leader was impressed by the group's style and signed them to his Coed Records label. Their first single "You Belong to Me" had previously been a hit for Jo Stafford in 1952. The Duprees' version was given a big band backing by Paxton and reached the US top ten in 1962."--wiki

I Wonder Why by Dion and the Belmonts
"Dion and the Belmonts were a leading American vocal group of the late 1950s. The group formed when Dion DiMucci joined The Belmonts - Carlo Mastrangelo, Freddie Milano, and Angelo D'Aleo - in late 1957."--wiki

Not doo wop but a great instrumental from 1959. A Ladies' Choice.
Sleep Walk by Santo and Johnny
'Santo & Johnny were an Italian-American rock and roll duo from Brooklyn comprised of brothers Santo Farina and Johnny Farina. They are best known for their instrumental "Sleep Walk" which became a regional hit and eventually reached #1 on the pop charts when it was released nationally."--wiki

Little Star by the Elegants
"This New York doo wop group earned notoriety for their masterpiece "Little Star" in 1958, which topped both R&B and pop charts. They were a White ensemble led by Vito Picone, With Arthur Venosa, Frank Tardogno, Carmen Romano, And James Mochella. All had been in other groups before uniting as The Elgins. They continued recording for Hull, United Artists, Limelight, Photo, IPG, and Laurie through the '50s, '60s and into the '70s, but never had another hit, despite cutting a number of solid ballads. There were two other editions in the mid-'60s, Vito Piccone with the Elegants and Vito & The Elegants."--Ron Wynn, All-Music Guide

16 Candles by the Crests featuring lead singer Johnny Mastrangelo aka Johnny Maestro
"One of the most successful integrated doo-wop groups, The Crests waxed the classic ballad "16 Candles" in 1959. Formed in 1956, they began recording the next year for Joyce, where they inched onto the pop lists with "Sweetest One." Moving to the brand-new Coed logo, Johnny Maestro's (b. May 7, 1940) warm tenor made "16 Candles" a national smash, and pop/R&B hybrids like "The Angels Listened In" and "Step by Step" also did well. Maestro went solo in 1960, scoring the next year with "Model Girl" on Coed, while The Crests attempted to survive on their own. Maestro eventually reclaimed stardom as leader of Brooklyn Bridge, an 11-piece aggregation that hit with "Worst That Could Happen" in 1968."--Bill Dahl, All-Music Guide

Denise by Randy and the Rainbows
"Randy & the Rainbows formed in the Queens section of New York City in 1962. The group included two pairs of siblings, brothers Sal Zero and Mike Zero and brothers Frank Safuto and Dominick "Randy" Safuto. Ken Arcipowski rounded out the quintet. The group evolved from the Dialtones, which in 1959 included the Safutos, Rosalie Calindo, and Eddie Scalla, the Safutos' cousin. After recording during the early '60s for Goldisc, the Safutos hooked up with Arcipowski and the Zeros in 1962 to become Randy & the Rainbows. Backed by the production team that also handled the Tokens, the group put out "Denise" in 1963."--answers.com

Unchained Melody by Vito and the Salutations with lead singer Vito Balsamo
"Vito & the Salutations is a New York doo wop group from the 1960s, whose first popular recording, "Gloria," was a regional hit. Vito & the Salutations scored a success in 1963 with an up-tempo version of the song "Unchained Melody," which reached number 60 on the Cash Box hit parade and made the top ten in many cities."--wiki

Once In a While by Lenny Cocco and the Chimes
Lenny Cocco - lead
Pat DePrisco - first tenor
Richard Mercado - second tenor
Joseph Croce - baritone
Pat McGuire - bass

You Can Call by the Delmonicos featuring Joe Cariati on lead vocals. Superb doo wop ballad.

Until You another Delmonicos' record

"The Delmonicos were originally formed in Manhattan in 1959. In their early years they performed in clubs such as the Copacabana, Peppermint Lounge and Camelot. In 1963 they recorded a couple of 45's and enjoyed considerable local success singing in the style of the classic 1950's NYC groups."

Never Let You Go by the Five Discs featuring John Carbone on lead vocals with Charlie DiBella, Paul Albano, and Tony Basile.
This one is my grand daughter Isabelle's favorite. She's been listening and dancing to Doo Wop with Pop Pop since she was born.

Morse Code of Love by the Capris

Again by the Mystics

Somewhere Over the Rainbow by the Demensions
"The Demensions are an American doo wop group from Bronx, New York. They attended Christopher Columbus High School. Over the years, there have been a number of lineup changes. The group that sung on most of their earlier recordings includes Lenny Dell, Phil Del Giudice, Howie Margolin, and Marisa Martelli.
At the height of their popularity in the early 1960s, The Demensions played often in Palisades Park, New Jersey, as well as on American Bandstand and The Clay Cole Show. They first scored radio airplay as a result of Cousin Brucie, a disc jockey at New York radio station WINS, who began spinning their version of "Over the Rainbow".[1] The song became a hit, peaking at #16 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1960.[2] Their only other chart hit was 1962's "My Foolish Heart", which peaked at #95 early in 1963."
--wiki

A Tear Fell by the Demensions lead by Marisa Martelli

Doo Wop All Night Long!!
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"