Naturalization Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
riema86

Naturalization Help

Post by riema86 »

Hi,

I am looking for naturalization papers for my great grandfather, Antonio (also went by Anthony and Tony) Mincieli. I believe he naturalized in October 1930 in New York but I cannot find any of his naturalization documents online. He was born in Italy in 1904 and came to American in 1920 and his spouse's name was Isabelle.

Can any one help me?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Naturalization Help

Post by johnnyonthespot »

riema86 wrote:Hi,

I am looking for naturalization papers for my great grandfather, Antonio (also went by Anthony and Tony) Mincieli. I believe he naturalized in October 1930 in New York but I cannot find any of his naturalization documents online. He was born in Italy in 1904 and came to American in 1920 and his spouse's name was Isabelle.

Can any one help me?
Wow! I think all the Mincieli's must have come to the US; there seem to be only a few of them in modern Italy.

So, the image below may or may not be the index card for Antonio's Declaration of Intent (186456 would be the number assigned to the Declaration). You may want to go to https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... lRefresh=1 and begin by creating a user account. Then click the the "Order Reproductions" link on the same page followed by "Immigration and Naturalization Records" on the next page. Enter the information you have; don't worry about the missing stuff - put the information from the card in the Comments box. The nice thing about the National Archives is they are generally much faster and less expensive than USCIS. The bad thing is they do not have actual Certificates of Naturalization and, as stated above, they do not have all records.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
riema86

Post by riema86 »

Thanks! What about the certificate of naturalization? I believe I am entitled to dual citizenship and need to have a certified copy of his certificate of naturalization. Can I request the certificate using this number for his declaration?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

So far as I know, the actual Certificate can be obtained only from USCIS.

You can skip the National Archives and instead go to USCIS and make an Index Search request. Hopefully they will get back to you with a "C-File" number which you can then use in a Document Request to obtain the actual documents.

USCIS takes longer and I believe costs a bit more than the National Archives; howver the Archives cannot provide a copy of the actual certificate.

See http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Approximately when (where?) was your Antonio born?
Carmine

riema86

Post by riema86 »

He was born in Toritto, Italy and his birthday was in September or October of 1904.
riema86

Post by riema86 »

I'm not entirely sure that Toritto was his birth place though, but that was the place of residence listed on his passenger record from Ellis Island.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

If it's the same manifest I am looking at (SS San Guglielmo, January 12, 1915), then the numbers written next to Antonio's name, "2-285367" are a good indication that he at least began the naturalization process. So, the index card I posted earlier may in fact be him.

There is a lively discussion of these markings in this thread.
Carmine