2 more potential bombs in my paperwork

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

2 more potential bombs in my paperwork

Post by cdevita »

Let me start by saying that I have been remiss in my research and have not fully checked dates-

I did this morning, as a last minute thought ( :oops: ) before I go to my appointment in Los Angeles on Friday!

The date shown for birth of my GGF on his Italian birth certificate is June 9, 1866. The birthdate shown on his death certificate (he died in New York in 1935) is December 15, 1868.

Now, knowing my relatives, I am sure someone asked them this question for the death records and not speaking much ENglish and in an effort to complete this process in a time of grief-some game them what they THOUGHT his birthday was...Unlike when my GGM died, they just left that BLANK on the death certificate.

ALSO--On my Grandfather's Birth certificate (born Connecticut) is March 9, 1912 and his death certificate is May 9, 1912.

HOW DO YOU HAVE THESE AMENDED FROM SO LONG AGO AND HOW LONG DOES THIS TAKE? Obviously I am not going to be able to have these done in time.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Re: 2 more potential bombs in my paperwork

Post by cdevita »

Also, I do have a record of his baptism and March 9, 1912 is correct.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

Do death certificates count?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Everything counts if the consulate wants it to count. The death certificate is not as important as some of the other documents, but if they want to make it an issue, they will. You'll simply have to wait and see.
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

thank you-It is clear what the actual birthdates are from other records, I am hoping they feel generous. Maybe a basket of cookies would help?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The primary use of the death certificate is to ensure that the ancestor is not living and therefore not able to "speak for himself" in regards to his naturalization status. Some of the consulates (New York City, for example), have a form (Form 3? Form 4?) which your ancestor fills out and signs if he/she is living or which the applicant fills out on behalf of his/her ancestor if deceased.

In the case of your great-grandfather, it would be obvious to anyone that he is certainly deceased, so the death certificate may not be an issue.

In the case of your grandfather, the consulate will note that it is conceivable that he is still alive (born 1912). Hopefully they will also find that the March ("Mar") vs. May discrepancy is a simple clerical error. It will help if all the other details point to the death certificate clearly being for the correct person.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

DO NOT BRING COOKIES or any other gifts! This may be viewed as an attempt to bribe the official and will not work in your favor.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

thank you all--looking forward to my appt.
mazzini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mazzini »

cdevita,
I can't find my maternal GF's NYC death certificate. I'm going through his daughter - my mother. The LA Consulate told me it is not a problem if I can't find it.

My mother wasn't speaking to her father when he died (very Sicilian) and she thought she knew the year and borough but I don't think so.

NYC is still searching 10 weeks later. My appointment is next month. LA told me not to worry - he was born in 1909 and is obviously dead - it's my mother that counts.

Don't sweat it!
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

Thank you!! They seem to be pretty relaxed there...
cdevita
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cdevita »

Just arrived back from Los Angeles meeting with Italian Consulate. Whole meeting lasted about 20 minutes. The representative was very nice, took and examined each generation of family documents, looked at the naturalization docs for a moment or two and then said, "Everything looks good, it will take me approx 8 months to get everything properly processed and you should be receiving your letter at that time. Then you need to come to LA for fingerprinting and go through the passport process."

Many thanks to all of you who have helped me prompt responses to my questions and talked me through my fears...

It all seemed a bit anti-climactic. She even forgot to get the naturalization docs until I reminded her she had not seen them yet! (She could not believe she had overlooked that! :)

Will everything now be gone through with a finer tooth comb? I felt she went through everything very quickly, told me how my husband was going to need to proceed if her wanted citizenship, and my mother, talked with my daughter about going to university in Roma. She did catch the fact that in AZ the parents names are not on the marriage certificates so she had me fill out a form right then and there. She also had me sign all of the consolato forms.

So-thanks it, I guess! The waiting begins anew!