scalese

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jcgays

scalese

Post by jcgays »

hi there

I am looking for my great grandfather´s birth location in Italy. His name was Gaetano Scalese (born between 1873 and 1875), and his parents´ names were Salvatore Scalese and Filomena Cuccurullo. He moved to Argentina.

This is the only info I have. Is there any way to find any info, or any leads on how to start the search?

Thanks
drrainaldi

Re: scalese

Post by drrainaldi »

jcgays wrote:hi there

I am looking for my great grandfather´s birth location in Italy. His name was Gaetano Scalese (born between 1873 and 1875), and his parents´ names were Salvatore Scalese and Filomena Cuccurullo. He moved to Argentina.

This is the only info I have. Is there any way to find any info, or any leads on how to start the search?

Thanks
I have a Nicola Scalese in my family tree, born in 1876 and residing in Moutauro, Italy, in the Calabria Region of Italy just before immigrating to Pittsburgh, PA, USA, in 1906. Hope that helps. That's all I know about him. Maybe you can find your relative in that region. -Leslie
Saviane

Post by Saviane »

I tried to find your surnames on the site gens.labo.net
It appears that both surnames are from the south of Italy (forget the area around Torino, beause it shows only that there were a lot of immigrants going to work there).
Cuccurullo is mainly from the area arond Naples, whereas Scalese families are from Puglia and in Calabria, as said by drrainaldi.
Scalese is not a common surname... now you find it mainly in Catanzaro province.
You should try to look in Catanzaro, first of all...
Good Luck!
jcgays

Post by jcgays »

Thanks a lot. I will look at that region. Be aware that it is actually Cucurullo, with only one C; I guess that will shortlist the search, who knows...

Is there a site which you may suggest so I can get info of the comunas that I will send a request for info?

thanks
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
by 1895 census :
Name: Cayetano Scalese
Residence: Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina
Estimated birth year: 1872
Birth province (term on form): Capital Federal
Birth province: Capital Federal
Provincia de nacimiento: Capital Federal
Birth nation (term on form): Argentina
Birth nation: Argentina
País de nacimiento: Argentina
Marital status: Married
Estado Civil: Casado
Film number: 722774
Digital GS number: 4162468
Image number: 376
Record number: 3683
Collection: Argentina National Census, 1895
born in Argentina...(?); married at Teresa...; mechanic profession;I cannot find a immigration record for a Gaetano Scalese or Scalise in Argentina...
you found the immigration record?
Besat regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
RizRich

Post by RizRich »

I have an Angelina Scalesi on my grandmothers' side. They lived in Serrastretta, Catanzaro, Italy. Angelina was born approx. 1868 - 1870. She emigrated to the US, through Philadelphia, in 1913, but her husband, Peter Molinaro was not with her.

You might want to try looking in the commune of Serrastretta. Also, I think I found the marriage banns of an Angelo Scalesi who married June 5, 1860 (I think) to someone with the last name of Pirri. Angelo's father was named Bruno.

The record was difficult to read and my Italian is not very good.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi there :-)

There are many here who are MARVELS at reading the old records in Italian. If you can post it here through an image sharing site such as www.imageshack.com maybe we can give you the full translation.

T.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

I am extracting documents from Pianopoli in Catanzaro, and Scalise is a Pianopoli name. I'll keep it in mind as I go along. So far, there is an Isabella Scalise born about 1889 and she emigrated to NY.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
RizRich

Post by RizRich »

Donna:

I am also searching the Rizzo name, but in Gualtieri Sicamino, Messina, Sicily. Giovanni Rizzo, born in 1876, married to Rose D'Angelo from San Pier Niceto, born in 1877.

Tessa:

I'll post the page later today.
RizRich

Post by RizRich »

Tessa:

I'm trying to post the Marriage Banns for Angelo Scalise. I hope it works.

RizRich

Post by RizRich »

I think I did this wrong. The image is too large. Sorry about that.