Petition for naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
italianstall10n

Petition for naturalization

Post by italianstall10n »

Hello, I have a question about the difference between the petition for naturalization and the actual naturalization date. If my grandfather was born before my great grandfather was officially naturalized, but after my great grandfather signed a petition for naturalization, am I still eligible for dual-citizenship. To explain chronologically, my great grandfather petitioned for naturalization. Then my grandfather was born. Then my great grandfather became a naturalized citizen.

From what I know, I am eligible for dual citizenship, but I just wanted t make sure before I got my hopes up...
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: Petition for naturalization

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I believe the important date is the actual day of naturalization. I dont think they go by petition date. Thats the day the process was started but not the official date they became a citizen.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

DeFilippis78 wrote:I believe the important date is the actual day of naturalization. I dont think they go by petition date. Thats the day the process was started but not the official date they became a citizen.

Alicia
Correct. And, specifically, this is the date that the Oath of Allegiance was executed and signed by the applicant and administering officer and the date that the Certificate of Naturalization was issued.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
tessy21

Post by tessy21 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
DeFilippis78 wrote:I believe the important date is the actual day of naturalization. I dont think they go by petition date. Thats the day the process was started but not the official date they became a citizen.

Alicia
Correct. And, specifically, this is the date that the Oath of Allegiance was executed and signed by the applicant and administering officer and the date that the Certificate of Naturalization was issued.
johnnyonthespot...when a person is naturalized in
america, all children under the age of 18 are also.

if you were born in italy, you automatically are an italian citizen

tessy21