Jockeys for the Trotters in Italy???

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Jockeys for the Trotters in Italy???

Post by taxi55 »

OK - I know this is a long shot, but can anyone point me in the right direction to research jockeys (for trotters) in Italy? (Has anyone even heard of this?)

I recently learned that my ggfather was a Trotter jockey in Italy and would love to research further (just not sure where to begin.) His name was Giuseppe Acierno and he lived in Baiano, Avellino, Campania, Italy. Since he immigrated to the US in 1907, his jockey years had to be prior to that time period.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all. Enjoy your day!
Sophia
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Jockeys for the Trotters in Italy???

Post by maestra36 »

I was just doing research about the history of one of my ancestral towns in Sicily and reading about how, during the three day Aug celebration of the feast of Saint Joseph every year, they have horse races through the town-the horses are mounted by jockeys called fantini in Italian.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

My cousins from Italy visited last fall. I took them past Monmouth Park and tried to explain race track. He got it immediatly, called it "ippodromo"

Try searching by that.
juanminbar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by juanminbar »

a few years back there was international competion for the best TROTTERS in the world.

italian horses won those races more than once. roosevelt raceway,ny, was the scene for the racing here in america

i'm subject to correction but i believe the racing was in the area of ''milan''.

good luck, j
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

taxi55 wrote:OK - I know this is a long shot, but can anyone point me in the right direction to research jockeys (for trotters) in Italy?
Ciao Sophia.

You might try contacting a few of the links on this page http://www.equine-sports-medicine.com/italy1.htm and see if someone can point you in the right direction.

More links here (scroll down to the Italy section: http://www.jockeysite.com/links/europe_link3.htm
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
taxi55
Veteran
Veteran

Post by taxi55 »

Thanks All! As usual - great input!!! And those websites - very interesting... will take a better look and will let you know if I have any luck.

Have a good one!
Sophia