Appt open for New York 930am May 27

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
fiat82

Appt open for New York 930am May 27

Post by fiat82 »

I have an appt for NYC that I realized last night I cannot use because USCIS transposed the month and date of my ancestor's birth date , so I am sunk. I am not going to present my application without everything perfect. I am so stupid for not being more careful. Does anyone want this appointment? If no one responds by May 21 at 4pm, I will call to cancel.
acupxpa

Re: Appt open for New York 930am May 27

Post by acupxpa »

Hi Fiat82!

Is that something that is fixable? I thought I have read from others who have experience with this that naturalization papers can not be corrected. Can anyone confirm that?

If they made a mistake on the naturalization papers and you have all other supporting documents that have the correct date of birth how can you be faulted for that? How do you know they will turn you down? I, like you want everything to be perfect when I go, but what is the worse thing that can happen, they say no- and tell you what you need to do. You may want to reconsider giving it a try anyway, esp. if the next appointment is a year away. You never know, things might go your way... :)

The other thing is, if you are certain you do not want to go- is is very nice of you to offer your appointment for someone else to go, but...have you confirmed that they will they see someone else if the appointment is in your name? I would just not want to see someone show up and not be seen. Anyone else ever try that on this board?

Good luck with whatever you decide,
Gina
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Go to the appointment. It might be a minor problem and/or there may be other questions as well. Get in the process and system while you have the chance. Almost no one's papers are perfect. :wink:
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Ive read that others got to the appointment to basically start the process and then the consulate will tell you what needs to be fixed or what other documents they need. I would just go and have them give you a complete list of anything else they require.

Alicia
fiat82

Post by fiat82 »

Well, maybe I will reconsider. To Acupxpa, the error is not on a naturalization doc ( which I agree would be nearly impossible to fix if the person is dead),the error is on the certification of no record of the naturalization from USCIS.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Just to add my own experience at NYC in mid-2008:

At my final consulate visit, there were a few minor items which were out of order. The official placed all the "good" documents into a large envelope, sealed it with extra tape, and warned me not to open it under any circumstances. I was then to gather up the fixed/missing documents and put them together with the sealed envelope into another envelope and drop the entire package at the consulate or send via registered mail; I did the latter since a trip to NYC is an all-day effort from this part of Connecticut.

One month later I received the letter telling me that my application had been approved, etc, etc.

So, I would suggest keeping your appointment.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

Go to your appointment..... if there are discrepancies,at least they will let you know what you will need to do to correct them and you will be able to just mail the corrected documents needed back to the Consulate, instead of having to make another appointment! Good luck!
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
fiat82

Post by fiat82 »

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know the results after my meeting there.