Military records from Naples State Archive

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Military records from Naples State Archive

Post by ricbru »

Hello listers,
I would like to let you know that,unfortunately :? , the building where Naples State Archive is keeping military records is under restoration since last year and nobody is allowed to get in to look for this kind of records.
I tell you this because during this week I called Naples State Archive because I was looking for a military record, but the man who works as a secretary of the manager, told me that noboy knows when this restoration will be over :cry: , or when someone will be allowed to get in and to do researches.
Naples State Archives has all the military records and military draft card of those men who where born in the province of Naples, between 1842 and 1913.
From 1913 to today the military records are kept to Military District of Naples
Just to let you know :roll:
bye Riccardo
rpaolini

Re: Military records from Naples State Archive

Post by rpaolini »

Is there an update as to whether or not the State Archives in Naples for :?: military records archive is open?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

I just called lastweek, the place keeping all the military records is not available yet.: i'll call again during february
Riccardo
Truglio

Post by Truglio »

Riccardo,
Would I be able to find WWI records for a person who was born in Ciro, Itlay at the Naples State Archive? Also, is the archive currently open? My husband's grandfather (Francesco Donato Truglio) served as a corporal in the Italian army during WWI and was taken prisoner by the Germans. I am trying to find his military records. Any assistance you can offer would be greatly appreciated.
Cheryl Bucy
rcbucy@aol.com
Columbus, OH, USA
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Military records are held by the state archives. Since Cirò is located in Provincia di Crotone, you must write to the Archivio di Stato di Crotone. Strangely, such a place does not seem to exist...

Livio, are these records then held by Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro instead?

Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro
Piazza Rosario, 6
88100 Catanzaro CZ
ITALY

email: mailto:as-cz@beniculturali.it (remove the spaces)

More (related) info in this thread: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... +leva.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

johnnyonthespot wrote: Livio, are these records then held by Archivio di Stato di Catanzaro instead?
I would assume yes.
Truglio

Post by Truglio »

I sent a request to the State Archives in Catanzaro and they sent me the following reply. Can anyone help me? I am not understand what they are telling me.

Per il foglio matricolare di suo nonno deve rivolgersi

al distretto militare della provincia dove egli è nato

o all'archivio di stato della stessa provincia se il distretto militare ha lì versato la sua documentazione.

Cordiali saluti
Carlo M. Fiorentino[/color]
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

i got this from google translator. i'm not sure how accurate the translation is. maybe someone who speaks italian can answer this. but this is what i got.

For the package of military service of his grandfather should contact

the military district of the province where he was born

or of the State Archives of the same province where the military district there has
paid its documentation.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

It appears to say that you need to contact the provincial archives having jurisdiction over the comune where your ancestor was born.

Of course, this is usally the case. I suggested the archives of Catanzaro because Cirò was, until reently, a part of Catanzaro province and because I could not find any contact information for Archivio di Stato di Crotone leading me to believe that it had not been set up yet (Crotone province only came into existence in 1996).

The only suggestion I have at this time is to write to:

Archivio di Stato di Crotone
88900 Crotone KR
ITALY

and hope the local mail carrier will know where to deliver your letter.

You might also ask forum member liviomoreno, suanj, or ricbru if they have any other thoughts for how to locate the Crotone archives.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
jmggeneo

Post by jmggeneo »

Are the military records available from the Naples State Archives yet? Can you also give me the address of where to write to them for WWI military records for Naples.Tks
Aussie Researcher

Post by Aussie Researcher »

Can any one please tell me how to contact the Naples State Archives?
I live in Australia so it would need to be an email address.
Thank you
Aussie Researcher