Bruzzei - What would the correct name be?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Stella1848

Bruzzei - What would the correct name be?

Post by Stella1848 »

I have only one document which shows this woman's name - the death certificate for her son who was born in Cimina, Reggio Calabria in 1874.

Marie A. Bruzzei is the name as it appears on the dc of Giuseppe Antonio Franco.

I have never been able to find Bruzzei as a surname, so must assume that the informant of Giuseppe's death was mis-informed.

Any ideas what Marie's surname might be? Bruzzi is the most likely, of course, but since I haven't found any references to Bruzzis from Cimina, I wondered if there was a more likely variant.

Any ideas or suggestions will be appreciated.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Bruzzei - What would the correct name be?

Post by maestra36 »

Possibly the surname was originally one of the following variations

Abbrizzese Abbrizzise Abbruggia Abbruggio Abbruzese Abbruzzese Abbruzzesi Abbruzzise

To search records for the Calabrian area-

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

You have to register with a username and password
Stella1848

Post by Stella1848 »

Thank you, so much. These new possibilities have made me hopeful that I will eventually find our Marie.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The link I gave you above is for the Province of Cosenza,which includes Calabrian records, but Cimina is in the province of Reggio Calabria and not in Cosenza province. There is, however, someone on the Cosenza site with the same name as your ancestor, That Giuseppe Antonio Franco married in 1814, so possibly the ancestry can be traced further north in Italy to the province of Cosenza.

I just looked at the Italian white pages for Cimina (RC)

http://www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html

The surname Bruzzi, sometimes spelled as Bruzzi', is there. Bruzzese is also there. There might be other variations of the spelling, but there is no way to do a sound search in the Italian phonebook.

If you've already seen these, I apologize.
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

The name "Bruzzi'" seems to be more prevalent in the town of Cittanova (which is about 10 miles north of Cimina', as the crow flies). There are a couple of people with that name in Cimina'.

I also have a Bruzzi' in my family tree. We come from the town of Ardore, about 6 miles south of Cimina'.

My suggestion is that you order the FHL film for 1874 for Cimina' for Giuseppe Antonio's birth registration. If Giuseppe was born in Cimina', his mother, most likely, was from there also. Women, generally, did not move away when they got married.

Mary
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi,

It is possible that the cognome Bruzzei has now died out in Italy.

If you do a search for the name on Ancestry.com you will find a Vincenzo Bruzzei crossing from Canada into USA. Also, there are 2 Bruzzei listed on Familysearchlabs.

Hope these are of some help.

Seraphina
Totonno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Totonno »

Why not consider BRUZIO as a surname? Bruzio was the ancient name of modern Calabria, Cosenza particular area and its inhabitants were named Bruzi or Bretti
Faber est suae quisque fortunae
Stella1848

Post by Stella1848 »

>>I just looked at the Italian white pages for Cimina (RC)
www.paginebianche.it/index_en.html
>>The surname Bruzzi, sometimes spelled as Bruzzi', is there. Bruzzese is also there. There might be other variations of the spelling, but there is no way to do a sound search in the Italian phonebook.

Thank you. I had seen that site once and was never able to find it again.

I'm going to write to the Francos in Cimina This is good. I finally feel like I'm going somewhere with this family.

Thank you, again.
Stella1848

Post by Stella1848 »

Thank you!

Seraphina wrote:Hi,

It is possible that the cognome Bruzzei has now died out in Italy.

If you do a search for the name on <a href="/http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-3166187-10456885" TARGET="_blank">Ancestry.com</a> you will find a Vincenzo Bruzzei crossing from Canada into USA. Also, there are 2 Bruzzei listed on Familysearchlabs.

Hope these are of some help.

Seraphina
Stella1848

Post by Stella1848 »

Now, that surprises me. Many hits for Bruzio. I had tried it with two z's and got only a few results.

Interesting that on a record of border crossing from Canada, just a few lines from a Giuseppe Bruzzio is an Antonio Brutsi, so I guess that will be another variation of the spelling for me to explore.
Totonno wrote:Why not consider BRUZIO as a surname? Bruzio was the ancient name of modern Calabria, Cosenza particular area and its inhabitants were named Bruzi or Bretti
andreacalabria

Post by andreacalabria »

Hi All,

most likely the right surnane should be Bruzzese which is pretty common in the area where is located ciminà.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are close to 200 surnames and variations listed for BRUZZI in the www.familysearch.org under ancestor search. The website is listed for a worldwide listing. Bruzzi can be researched from this listing for Italy easily enough and might have information you are seeking.

Piacenza Italy appars to be a concentrated location for the Bruzzi surname. Additonal surnames are listed at thebottom of each country with a number of additonal files which you can bring up by clicking on that number.

The only nameslisted in the Italian surname dictionary is ABRUZZO with just two variations: BRUZZESE and BRUZZESI. =Peter=
~Peter~