naturalization papers were birth records needed?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

naturalization papers were birth records needed?

Post by debbie365 »

curious to know if when applying for naturalization did the person need a birth record 1940 to become a us citizen?
surnames,Basilone, Calascione,Campofredano, Deluca, Occhionero, Glave, Intrevado, Angelozzi Peta, Frate
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: naturalization papers were birth records needed?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I don't know for certain, but my guess is that by the 1920's or so (possibly earlier), they would have needed a passport from their home country.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I don't think so since the petiton would refer to his entry into the USA as an immigrant and refer to his admittance into the USA on the ships manifest with his age at time of entry and his place of birth or residence prikor to entry. His alien registfration card and or other entry document in his possession would be mofre acceptable than a foreign birth document. =Peter=
~Peter~
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

my grand father did have a passport so that would make sense i am trying to get a hold of that from my uncle. thank you i love the help. have a great day :)
surnames,Basilone, Calascione,Campofredano, Deluca, Occhionero, Glave, Intrevado, Angelozzi Peta, Frate
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Delving a little further, it seems that - at least in modern times - one needs proper identification (passport, for example) in order to obtain an Immigrant Visa which allows you into the US. Then, the Immigrant Visa serves as ID for your Alien Registration Card and, eventually, the Alien Registration Card serves as ID for the Naturalization Declaration of Intent.

And so on.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

At the turn of the century no passport was required for entry into the USA as an immigrant. Italian passports were internal documents to snare draft dodgers. This document might work I suppose but the ships manifest becomes a USA document and more valid for citizenship purposes than a non needed italian document for entry. =Peter=
~Peter~
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

do you think he would have needed this passport to get into brazil in 1929? my grand father didnt apply for naturalization papers until 1940.thanks for the help and information debbie :)