Decieco, DeCieco,deCieco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
CERTACETO

Decieco, DeCieco,deCieco

Post by CERTACETO »

Is anybody researching this family which i think originate in Caserta, Italy?
They emigrated to both England and USA. I think I have traced part of the extended family to Detroit, Michigan
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Decieco, DeCieco,deCieco

Post by johnnyonthespot »

That spelling does not seem to exist at all in modern Italy, making the likleyhood that it is a corrupted version of the original spelling quite possible.

The nearest I could find is "de Cecco", which is present throughout Italy ( http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html ), but not at all in Caserta province and only in small numbers in the entire region of Campania ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... &om=0&td=4 ).

"de Cicco" is also quite common, even in Caserta. Perhaps this is more likely your original spelling, with the correct pronunciation being something like "day CHEEK-ko" I believe.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Tomo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Tomo »

I have a relative with DiCicco or De Cicco in their tree, but they descended primarily from Monte Cassino in Frosinone.
The DiCico's first came to Wolverhampton, in the UK. Later moved to Walsall UK.
Any connection? let me know and I'll share more.

Steve Thompson
UK
Marchione Laurentini Castellucci Capobianco from Sora Italy
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

johnnyon the spot and tomo thanks for giving me your take.

I am sure that these ancestors were probably illiterate hence all the differing spellings.

My own Grandmother on different documents (Birth Certificates of her children/Death Certificate of her Father and 1911 Census for the family) all have differing spellings of the surname. As does her own Death Certificate, reported by an uncle who would not know how to spell it.

I have followed one Brother of my Grandmother over to USA and have his arrival at Ellis Island in 1920 and is recorded as Angelo Decieco. I think I have tracked his ancestors down to Wyandotte in Michigan.

I have Donald Deceico aged 79 and his wife Alice and their Daughter Kerry. Their son Christopher had a motorcycle accident in 2009 and died. I now have their telephone number and will shortly be trying to make contact.

I also have a long list from Ellis island of arrivals in 1901/1912 and 1913 with the spellings of the surname as listed in the Subject above.

Am on holiday at the moment and when I get back will give a bit more info and perhaps tomo we can see if either of our relatives are in fact from the same tree.

Regards

Brian
hockings

Post by hockings »

i am trying to trace my family.my father was bernard decieco son of lionel and cicily from penzance. they had fourteen children .they moved to launcestone north cornwall and then to bristol.i am looking to obtain any information about my family
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Robin

I take it we have already made contact? If you make a search on this site for deceico you will find some posts from me last year where I outlined our part of the family.

Lionel or Lyntert as he was listed in the 1911 Census was the brother of my Granmother Antionette Decieco. Their Father ran a Lodging house in Penzance.

Its a long story but my Grandmother married one of the lodgers Arthur Hall.

My Father was John Clifford Hall who is now deceased but I have been visiting one of his Brothers Kenneth Hall in Oxford who is a relative of yours.

One of the brothers emigrated to the USA and I have been researching their side of the family.

Lionel your Grandfather if I am right died at Dunkirk and his name is on the memorial at Launceston ? I had to write to the guy who ran the website at Launceston as he had spelt your Grandfathers name wrongly on the website.He changed it after he received my email.

Robin if it is you I will get some more detail to you asp once i get home after my holidaY

Regards

Brian Hall
BrianHall7@aol.com
hockings

Post by hockings »

CERTACETO wrote:Robin

I take it we have already made contact? If you make a search on this site for deceico you will find some posts from me last year where I outlined our part of the family.

Lionel or Lyntert as he was listed in the 1911 Census was the brother of my Granmother Antionette Decieco. Their Father ran a Lodging house in Penzance.

Its a long story but my Grandmother married one of the lodgers Arthur Hall.

My Father was John Clifford Hall who is now deceased but I have been visiting one of his Brothers Kenneth Hall in Oxford who is a relative of yours.

One of the brothers emigrated to the USA and I have been researching their side of the family.

Lionel your Grandfather if I am right died at Dunkirk and his name is on the memorial at Launceston ? I had to write to the guy who ran the website at Launceston as he had spelt your Grandfathers name wrongly on the website.He changed it after he received my email.

Robin if it is you I will get some more detail to you asp once i get home after my holidaY

Regards

Brian Hall
BrianHall7@aol.com
hello brian thank you for replying.this is not robin but his sister janice.the lionel you mention in launceston is our uncle not our grandfather.our grandparents moved to bishopston bristol in the late forties early fifties.we never met our grandparents which was such a shame so much family history lost.dad was one of fourteen i can only remember 11 names.dad had a family tree done when i lived at home i think it was someone from bristol univerity.i think it was lost when the family home went.i hope my little bit is useful to you.i will keep looking on this site for any more info janice
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Hi Janice

I was on holiday and I must have had a beer too many, of course there are two Lionels although on the 1911 census your Grandfather was not called Lionel but Lynert, they must have anglocised the names later.
If you send me your e-mail address (mine is above) I will send you a copy of the 1911 census for 21 Quay St, Penzance where the lodging house was plus the Death Cert of Joseph. I am interested in Bristol as I know that Antionette (Annie) my Grandmother lived there for a time along with some of her children at 27 Earl St, St James. I am going there in September to do some research.

She took the name of Shirtcliffe and then married Arthur Hall who appears on the 1911 census at 21 Quay St as a 21 year old Lodger.

Annie had a child at age 13 whilst in Quay st, he was brought up as a Decieco however I think there is a strong possibility that the Lodger (Hall) may be involved !!!! His name was Peter Ambrose Decieco born 1914 died 1984 in Bristol I am not sure but think he married Dorothy Florence Emily nee Devonald known s Gould born 1916 died 1988 Bristol I think they had two sons Jonathan Peter Deceico and Philip Ambrose Decieco

The 1911 census listed
Joseph Deceica (note the difference spelling again) age 60 Landlord born Italy
Hester Deceica age 49 Italy
Lynter Deceica son 19 Born Italy
Angelo Deceica son 13 Born Italy
Annie Decieca daughter age 11 born Italy
William Deceica son age 5 born Penzance
Dominic Deceica age 3 born Penzance

After Annie there was Joseph born 1918 died ww2 in 1942 aboard the Empire Mica Middlesbrough in the Gulf of Mexico on a tanker (do a search on Empire Mica and you will get the full story)

Well thats it for now time for bed

Send me your e-mail add

Rgds

Brian :P
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

Hello,
I can tell you in the 1891 cencus, there were some Di cicco families living at the same house as my Family.
There was a Pasquale Di Cicco, born Italy, 1867, living with son's Benedetto (i think is right), born 1888, Redruth Cornwall, Angelo/Antonio, born Bristol, 1890/91.
Also Erico (i think is right), born Italy, 1863 with wife Maggie, born Bristol, 1871.

They all lived with my Family in 7 Lower Montague Street, St James, Bristol.
There were also a Fionda Family living there, which emmigrated to Detroit, USA, which some of my Family (capaldi's) went to visit!
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Hi Jamie

Thanks for your reply, its very interesting.

I am sure the name of my family has been corrupted over the years, although the more modern spelling for all the extended family id Decieco.

The spelling of the family name on the 1911 Census had it spelt as "Deceica" and there are many variations on Death Certificates etc probably caused by the person reporting not knowing the spelling of the surname at all.

One thing that stood out in your reply is St James, Bristol which is where my Grandmother Anntionette (Annie) Decieco lived, 27 Earl Street. At various times we keep comming up with Bristol as being a place they all lived at some time.

My great uncle Angelo emigrated over to Detriot in 1920 and his extended family live over there to this day in Wyandotte, Michigan.

When you mention the 1891 census is that the UK one?

Regards Brian Hall
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you google.com and put in the title "Decieco Surname Genealogy Caserta Italy" there are numerous (600 references) inputs which deserve your research for this suranme whch is not listed inthe Italian surname dictionary indicating it was orignally either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. The closest listing is De Cicco,

The english website www.findmypast.com which is a paying website is available for name checks free of charge which can supplement the other website www.worldvitalrecords.com. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

If you google.com and put in the title "Decieco Surname Genealogy Caserta Italy" there are numerous (600 references) inputs which deserve your research for this suranme whch is not listed inthe Italian surname dictionary indicating it was orignally either local in origin or imported from abroad and italianized. The closest listing is De Cicco,

The english website www.findmypast.com which is a paying website is available for name checks free of charge which can supplement the other website www.worldvitalrecords.com. =Peter=
~Peter~
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Peter

Thanks for the information, will have a look asp.

Regards

Brian
jamiecapaldi
Master
Master

Post by jamiecapaldi »

You are right about different spellings.
My original family name is 'Capaldo' not 'Capaldi', but i found that on Italian Certificates. Like yours 'Decieco', i seen plenty of Di Cicco or Di Ciceo family names in the Italian Birth Records between 1857-1864 in Cassino.
My worst spelling i found is in the 1896 Bristol Directory, which is meant to spell 'capaldi' but it is spelt 'Caldalpy'.
I also have it spelt; Capalto, Capalti, Capoldi, Copaldi, etc.
The Beneddeto spelling i used in the above forum is a guess. It shows the spelling on the cencus as 'Benrietta' but shows him as a Son?

The Bristol i am on about is in the UK.
Do you have any connections with;
Velardo, Fionda, Capaldi, Salera, Cordani Valente?
NAMES: Capaldi-Tedesco-Tamilio-Minchella-Verrecchia-Tomasso-Franchitto-Innelli-Arpino-Caringi-Colacicco-Macari-Pinchera-Salera-D'Orazio-Ambrosino-Di Mambro-Sigliocolo-Masello
PLACES: Cassino- UK, USA, Ireland, Canada & Australia
http://www.cassino-families.co.uk
CERTACETO

Post by CERTACETO »

Yes I am in the UK and its the Bristol over here.

One of my Great Uncles (Angelo) arrives in Ellis Island and spells his name Decieco. On doing a further search at Ellis Island I find other Decieco arriving as early as 1900.

So its has been really confusing Joseph Decieco or Deceica as its spelt in the 1911 Census in Uk still has his name spelt Decieca on his death certificate by my Granmother in 1918. However by 1920 his son Angelo who applied for Uk Citizenship in 1920 then immediately set sail for the US was using Decieco.

I have not as yet come across any of the names you mentioned. Josephs wife Hester was Tomasso as far as I can ascertain.

I need to get some time trying to track the family over in Italy. I do know that Josephs wife left him and took two of the children back to their home town.

I do know that lots of the extended family lived in Bristol and still do. However I am told that the St James area is long gone.

My one remaining uncle and I are going to Bristol in September to try and trace more of the family

Regards Brian