Pavia family who moved to malta after 1861

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Dorianne

Pavia family who moved to malta after 1861

Post by Dorianne »

Hello everyone, I am trying to find some information about the first Pavia family who moved from italy to malta. I do not know much unfortunatley except for the fact that they left as a result of the unification of italy, but not why, where they were originally from and who they were. I have tried searching for a list of italian immigrants post 1861 but have not come across any info. Any help gratefully accepted. thanks Dorianne
pavias

Re: Pavia family who moved to malta after 1861

Post by pavias »

hi please send me email if you have any information
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Gol to www.google.com and put in title PAVIA SURNAME ON MALTA and a raft of websites will emerge. Pavia is listed among Malta genealogy and appparently has lineage there. =Peter=
~Peter~
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

I have an ancestor from Malta and this is what I've discovered in the course of my research: you can get vital/civil records at the public archives in Valletta, but only those after 1863. Here's the link: https://secure2.gov.mt/certifikati/default.aspx

For years before then, the vital records are kept by the parishes - you will have to know from which of these they hailed.

The national archives of Malta does hold customs records from 1724-1956. The Customs Department registered all arriving and departing ships in the Maltese Ports. The registration included "name of the vessels, names of captains, nationality, cargo tonnage, number of crew, and number of passengers etc. It also kept separate indexes of passengers."

It doesn't appear the Archives conducts searches does have contact info for overseas persons to send inquiries:

"Requests for Research from Abroad

It is not the duty of the National Archives to conduct research on behalf of its patrons. However, we do acknowledge that it might be difficult for certain non-residents to conduct research in Malta. In such cases we do give preliminary advice on the type of research, and the available material and finding aids. In such cases, correspondence needs to be addressed to:

Customer Care
National Archives Head Office
Hospital Street
Rabat RBT1043
Malta

One can also send a fax on +356 21 450078"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Sforza I have a few websites buried somewhere in my desk for Malta which should also be in your possession seeing that you take after me. They might be helpful to the Pavia inquirer. =Peter=
~Peter~
pavias

Post by pavias »

thx guys.
sforza
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sforza »

PeterTimber wrote:Dear Sforza I have a few websites buried somewhere in my desk for Malta which should also be in your possession seeing that you take after me. They might be helpful to the Pavia inquirer. =Peter=
Thanks, Peter. I've found that most of the Maltese genealogy sites are focused on nobility. I've found some indices of British military when Malta was under the crown as well. But no indices of other vital records, and no LDS microfilm (yet).

My GGGGF was married in Palermo. His daughter's death cert says he was from Malta. I'm pursuing the actual Palermo marriage records for him - I have no idea if the info on the death cert is accurate and if it is, what parish in Malta he lived under. Family oral history has him (or perhaps his parents) as British (they say his surname was Thomas, and changed to Tomaselli to marry his Palermitan wife). A possibility given Malta was under British rule - but the more likely story is that he traveled under British passport but was Maltese. His mother's name (Maria Concetta Lauro) sounds Italian-Maltese and certainly not British.

What's your story?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

My background is Basilicata and my family extends back to 1100AD(Roger 11) and Pope Celestino11 to City of Matera. I followed the history of the surname rather than individuals so that historical events and family surname came and went with highlight around 1400's when family emerged after 300 years with feudal fief in a nearby area of Matera, letter from King while collecting troops to fight off sarcens landing in Otranto and nobility authoring history of the city in that 14th century (could not locate his writings and keep statue of Saint Anthony turned upside down in hopes of uncovering a copy if not the original.) His descendants continued the writing tradition untilthe 1600's . The family later occupied positon of Mayor of Nobles and suddenly disappears and reappears in the church hierarchy and occupies titled church positions. Nothing eventful occurs until 1800 with birth of GGreat grandfather in 1820'S. My surname changed 6 times between time gaps. There are about 1000 with the surname inthe world today. Please to meet you. =Peter=
~Peter~