Candela in Salaparuta

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
tortoisekeeper

Candela in Salaparuta

Post by tortoisekeeper »

I discovered from my Grandfathers (Rosario Candela) obit that he was from Salaparuta. I am trying to find his birth date. I know it was around 1891. I am also looking for any information on his father Philip Candela and the maiden name of his mother Jennie. Can someone please help me locate this information?
vj
Master
Master

Re: Candela in Salaparuta

Post by vj »

You could write for his birth record (in Italian) since you have an approximate date and his parent’s names

Italian form letter generator with instructions:
http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... civile.asp

Or other helpful form letters:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Address:

Comune di Salaparuta
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Regione Siciliana 10
91020 Salaparuta TP
ITALY

http://www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/14-salaparuta/

Website for finding comune addresses:
http://www.nonsolocap.it/

---

parents' first names

Philip = Filippo
Jennie/y could be Giacoma
(or Genoveffa, Giacomina, Gianetta, Regina)

Giacoma appears to be the most common on Ellis Island from Salaparuta
tortoisekeeper

Post by tortoisekeeper »

Thank you for this information.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Salaparuta is one of my ancestral towns and has some of the best microfilmed state civil records I have ever seen. Their indexes are usually very legible. You can actually rent a roll of microfilm from the town for the years of 1820-1860, for example, which has large legible indexes and find all of the info you may need just in those indexes without even renting the films with the actual records. I highly recommend you try to research the records in this town yourself from microfilm, if you have access to a local Mormon church which has a family history library.

You can search for further information about family history centers on the following website:
www.familysearch.org

Registri dello stato civile di Salaparuta (Trapani), 1820-1910
Authors Salaparuta (Trapani). Ufficio dello stato civile

The following is an email address for the anagrafe office, there where the town's vital records are housed. I have only written to that office once, and I did provide very specific information, and pretty much got a reply overnight. You do need to correspond with that office in Italian though

servizidemografici@comune.salaparuta.tp.it

I have in my database only one individual with the Candela surname from the town. He may eventually connect to your ancestry, as the first name is Filippo or Philip.

Filippo Candela
date of death in Salaparuta: 23 Feb 1846; I don't have his parents' names though, as I was researching his wife's maiden name which was Calamia.

His wife was a Rosaria Calamia who died in Salaparuta on Oct 27. 1849. Her parents were a Giuseppe Calamia and Anna Marinello.
tortoisekeeper

Post by tortoisekeeper »

Thank you so much. I have been trying to contact LDS in my town but no one answers. Your link gave me times they are open. I have searched for years for anything about my great grand parents. All of my relatives have died and I just found out yesterday where my grandfather was born.

Thanks again
Betty
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The local centers are staffed by volunteers, so if you found your local LDS listed on their website, that should give you the days and times they are open, but always best to call before making a trip there, to make sure that the center is not closed for vacation. You need to go there to order and pay for microfilm rentals. The microfilms cost abt $5.50 to rent for the first month and take 2 to 3 weeks to be shipped to your local center from Salt Lake City.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Do you have any U.S. records for your ancestor Rosario Candela? Where did he live in the U.S.? I know a lot of the Salaparuta immigrants settled in the New Orleans area. You say you have his obit. When and where did he die?
tortoisekeeper

Post by tortoisekeeper »

Rosario Candela died 12/25/1939 in New Orleans. He was married to Rose Piazza (died 5/1/1988). Their children were Philip (my father died 5/5/1963), Salvatore (died 5/23/1998) and Gloria (died 1/13/1980). The obit did not say anything about his parents but mentioned 2 sisters. Mrs Rose Cicchino and Mrs Rosaile Jeucois from Chicago. His family lived in Chicago before he came to New Orleans.

It seems that children were often named after their grandparents. The information you gave me could be my great great grandparents with Rosario being named after Rosaria. I have searched Rosaria Calamia and Filippo Candela but came up with nothing.

I was born in New Orleans 1/1/1962 and by the time I was interested in my family history there was no one for me to ask questions . I have traced my grandmother Rose back 7 generations. My mother Betty Freed Candela (died 7/6/2001) was adopted so I also have no family history for her. I really want to find out about the Candela history.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/640/Default.aspx

This website will allow you to search for his death certificate (you need to do an advanced search to see the info) and order it, if you want to get a copy. There is one Rosario Candela who died in 1939, and I was wondering if it could be him. I have no idea whether his parents' names will be on that certificate, including his mother's maiden name.
tortoisekeeper

Post by tortoisekeeper »

maestra36 wrote:http://www.sos.louisiana.gov/tabid/640/Default.aspx

This website will allow you to search for his death certificate (you need to do an advanced search to see the info) and order it, if you want to get a copy. There is one Rosario Candela who died in 1939, and I was wondering if it could be him. I have no idea whether his parents' names will be on that certificate, including his mother's maiden name.
Thanks again I have ordered it.
banisternation

Post by banisternation »

Tortoisekeeper

This is my first day at this. My grandfather was also Rosario Candela. You can google his wikipedia information by googling his name. He was from Montelepre, about 20 miles from your Rosario.

I got a lot of help from Sal Serio in New Orleans salserio@aol.com he is a member of an Italian American association in town and is related to us.

Let me know if he can help, or idf we are related.

Steve Candela