Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center

Post by brujaojos »

I volunteer at a Family History Center as well as teach a class there on how to begin your genealogy. I have written the information below for our FHC. I think it might be useful for everyone when they are trying to locate microfilm.

The proper way of obtaining microfilm from a Family History Center
1. You go to www.familysearch.org

2. Click on the tab on the top right called Library

3. Click on the words Family History Library Catalog

4. Click on the words Place Search and type in the town you are looking for. Then click the word search.

5. A list of the results will show up. (an example: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania)

6. Click on the link you are looking for such a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Vital Records. A new page will appear where it will show all the films for Vital Records

7. Click on the link you want such as Death Registries.

8. Click on View Film Notes and a list of the microfilm numbers will appear.

9. Click at the bottom of the page, For a printable copy, click hereand you will get a form to print out with all the film numbers.

10. Click print.

Ordering Microfilm

1. Now the FHC does not have all the microfilm in their possession.

2. You have to order the microfilm which takes 3-4 weeks for it to arrive.

3. It costs about $5.75 a roll for 30 days of viewing time.

4. If you need to renew the microfilm, it cost about $5.50 for another 60 days.

5. If you need to renew it after the 60 days, it will cost another $5.50 and the films can be kept on an indefinite bases.

6. Microfilm must be viewed at the FHC.

7. Copies are $0.35 a page.

Written and Created for the Family History Center of Cherry Hill, New Jersey - by PTCTM - Trish - 02/2006

This was updated!
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Steps on obtaining microfilm from a Family History Cente

Post by wldspirit »

I have a question regarding microfilm, actually, the process from start
to finish. How are records copied? What type of equipment is used, ect...ect.....
I have tried to locate info on this matter to no avail. I have pulled up a
number of commercial sites **SPAM** various products from scanners to cameras, but none of them expain the process.

the ever inquisitive,
wldspirit :lol:
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

I would contact forum member trevisan2, not only was he a missionary for the church at one time , but he still films records in Northern Italy on a regular basis. He pretty much can outline the exact process and equipment used.

:)
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

wldspirit wrote:I have a question regarding microfilm, actually, the process from start to finish. How are records copied? What type of equipment is used, ect...ect.....I have tried to locate info on this matter to no avail. I have pulled up a number of commercial sites **SPAM** various products from scanners to cameras, but none of them expain the process.
the ever inquisitive,
wldspirit :lol:
Dear Wildspirit

You can always contact the Main Family History Center in Utah. They have a toll-free number as well as you can email questions. They do answer all questions such as yours as well as all genealogical questions.

Family History Library Building:
35 North West Temple Street,
Salt Lake City, Utah, 84150-3400

Telephone number: 800-346-6044

email questions to:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... il_fhl.asp

Hope this helps.
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

At my FHC, we can copy documents of interest right onto a CD. They format the CD for you, and from there you can copy as many pages as you need right from the film. Make sure you make a copy of all the birth, death, matrimony indexes available on that roll of film. This will allow you research from your CD once you get home. Paper copies of certain documents (marriage or birth ) also make nice gifts when framed.

Great page Trish!

mfjp
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

mfjp wrote:At my FHC, we can copy documents of interest right onto a CD. They format the CD for you, and from there you can copy as many pages as you need right from the film. Make sure you make a copy of all the birth, death, matrimony indexes available on that roll of film. This will allow you research from your CD once you get home. Paper copies of certain documents (marriage or birth ) also make nice gifts when framed.

Great page Trish!

mfjp
Wow, your FHC is really advanced! I know a few other FHC that have the capability as yours does. The FHC I volunteer at doesn't have that capability, however, we do have a fantastic microfilm printer.

The Main FHC in Utah is constantly updating their records as well as their technology so always check their website for microfilm.

Good to hear from you and keep up with the great posts!
Smile for me! :D
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Thank you all for your post, and I will call the library. I had sent an e-mail
about two weeks ago to them for this inquiry, but have not recieved a
reply.

wldspirit
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Dear mfjp:

I am curious about how the copies work at your FHC. Do you get to take the CD home with the images on them? How do they charge you for copies? Or do you just pay for the CD and make copies as you need at home? It sounds wonderful to be able to save any images you need directly to a CD and print and use later. YOu must end up with a much better image than printing a copy from microfilm, scanning the copy and saving as a jpg file. Sorry if this is a little off topic. I am interested at how it works at the FHC you go to.

Thanks,
Debbie
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Our Family History Center here in Cincinnati also has the digital imaging system that allows you to make copies directly to a CD. You can buy a CD for 50 cents and go to town (or should I say comune). And yes you can clean up your copies at home if you have the software to do it. A tremendous advance.
Donna Pellegrin
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Thats wonderful. For 50 cents you can save as many images as you want onto the CD and review later. I am jealous you have such a wonderful facility available.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

As Donna said
You can buy a CD for 50 cents and go to town (or should I say comune)."
is right! Our FHC has only one machine / computer that has this feature.

One researcher had planned to stay on this digital imaging system for about 3 hours... I think she was about to copy the entire reel! It was an uncomfortable situation but we worked it out so that we had 90 minutes each.

If you plan to use this imaging device, please tell the appointment taker in advance that you would like to use this system. It may solve problems ahead of time.

mfjp
say
Rookie
Rookie

Post by say »

Donna,
Which library in Cincinnatti do you use? I see 3 listed. I would like to call to see if they have any films there I am working on. Thanks!
Sherry
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Dear wildspirit,
I also wrote 3 email to FHC in Utah, but they never answered.
I'm looking for the S. Pietro church, Trapani, Italy microfilm.
That is where my ancestors were baptised, married and maybe had funeral.
It is diffucult to have a permit to have a look for church records in Trapani. (any suggestion or idea ?) :roll:
I attend the FHL in Trento, Italy. They have not printer or cd writer, in Trento I can just see the microfilm.
The man in charge is very good person.
Bye ricbru :)
jmtc77

Post by jmtc77 »

Wow, your FHC are great... Here in Italy we just have the reading machine and we can not even make photocopies... No digital sistem... Just a couple of old machines and no PCs...
I think you are 10 years ahead.
By
Joel
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I contacted the fhc in Utah, and was given the following information
with regard to microfilm. The answers to my questions were somewhat lacking in detail, and I have yet to recieve a reply to the e-mail I sent, which I suppose is understandable given the amount of e-mails they must
recieve.

There are 27 research teams working around the world. There is no schedule or timeframe as to when they will record any given place.
Before they can go in, contracts have to be drawn and signed. It is more difficult for them to recieve permission to record Catholic Churches. She further stated an individual with blood ties to that parish would have a better chance at documenting records.

They do not use scanners, and they are converting from microfilm cameras to digital cameras as the preferred choice, as flash is damaging to the documents. No further detail then the above.

So if I were to invest in a high tech digital camera, what are my chances at the parish priest letting me have a crack at the books, like a snowballs chance in *ell?? Although from what I understand the family name was on a plaque in the front pew, or was once upon a time........

wldspirit :?