Looking for Battel family, from Mazzin or Fontanazzo, Trento

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
battal01

Looking for Battel family, from Mazzin or Fontanazzo, Trento

Post by battal01 »

Around 1900, the family contained Maria Magdalena (born in 1891, moved to Canada to be married in 1924), Olivia, Ursula (or possibly, Rose), Minna, and John (moved to Argentina).
Minna died of the plague as a teenager or young woman. Their father's name was Sebastino, but I don't know their mother's name.

The passenger list for Magdalena's trip to Canada in 1924 says that she was born in Mazzin, and her father is Sebastino Battel, residing in Fontanazzo.

The list for her trip to Canada in 1932 says that she was born in Fontanazzo.

This is my mother-in-law's family. Magdalena is her mom, but she has very little information about them. I would really like to find out what I can, and quickly, as she has just been diagnosed with cancer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Looking for Battel family, from Mazzin or Fontanazzo, Tr

Post by Sal »

The online birth database for Trentino at www.natitrentino.mondotrenino.net (you have to register, but it is free) shows the following:

Maria Maddalena Battel, born Feb 24 1891 in the village of Campitello di Fassa, Trentino. Father was Sebastiano Battel and mother was Filomena Senoner.

Maria Maddalena had the following siblings (all born in Campitello di Fassa):
Giovanni Domenico born Nov 1 1889
Maria Filomena born May 22 1894
Maria Oliva born Apr 3 1887
Maria Orsala born Jan 28 1886.
Sebastiano born AUg 2 1888
Maria born June 18 1897
Maria Rosalia born Mar 23 1896

There were many Maria's, but as often the case, the birth register likely shows the middle name then the first name on most of the girls.

I also found a birth record for a Sebastiano Battel, born Mar 15 1843 in Campoitello di Fassa. His father was also named Sebastiano. Not sure he is the one you are looking for -- would have been 53 when the last daughter was born.
Researching Iob (Job, Yob), Dalpiaz, Zanon in villages of Cunevo and Flavon (Trentino) and Romano in Spadafora (Sicily).
www.trentinoheritage.com
Sal
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Sal »

This site --- http://www.dolomitinetwork.com/en/paesi/mazzin.htm will give you some info and photos of Campitello di Fassa, which, along with Fontanazzo and another village, make up the municipality of Mazzin.
Researching Iob (Job, Yob), Dalpiaz, Zanon in villages of Cunevo and Flavon (Trentino) and Romano in Spadafora (Sicily).
www.trentinoheritage.com
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

An adminstrative website for Mazzin can be found at
www.tuttitalia.it/trentino-alto-adige/72-mazzin and should you write for any documents scroll down to MUNICIPIO for the address of their Vital Records (Uffico di Stato Civile) normally free of charge. The "frazioni" or absorbed portions are listed below.

=Peter=
~Peter~
battal01

Post by battal01 »

Thank you very much!
Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Veronesi-Guardini »

I have a family connection with Mazzin

The name is De Silvestro. They still live there now, and have done for at least 120 years, probably more!

Using the site above, I found the names Sommavilla and Luchet in that area

If you come across any of these names, I would love to hear about it!