Gave up Italian Citizenship in 1981, can I regain it?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
fzanella

Gave up Italian Citizenship in 1981, can I regain it?

Post by fzanella »

I immigrated with my family from Bassano Del Grappa, VI in 1973. I was born in England in 1963, but was an Italian Citizen at the time, having lived in Italy from 1965 to 1973; in 1981 I became a US citizen, and renounced my Italian Citizenship. At the time Dual Citizenship was not an option. Both my parents were born in Italy and are now US Citizens.
I would like to gain Dual Citizenshi- Italian; we have a family home in Italy which will be mine someday soon, so this is a good reason to obtain an Italian passport. Is this possible, since I renounced my Italian Citizenship in 1981?
thanks, Fabrizio Zanella
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Gave up Italian Citizenship in 1981, can I regain it?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Perhaps this is what you are looking for:

[quote]

Reacquisition of Italian Citizenship
According to Italian law individuals born in Italy who automatically lost Italian citizenship by acquiring U.S. citizenship before August 16th 1992 are eligible, under certain conditions, for reacquisition of Italian citizenship.

1. The following documentation is required:
- proof of residency in the jurisdiction of this Consular Office (driver’s licence and
utility bill such as electricity or phone bill).
- birth certificate;
- marriage certificate and divorce decree, if applicable (if they occurred in the
United States, please consult our website under “Vital Recordsâ€
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
fzanella

Post by fzanella »

Thanks for the information! It seems like a lot of work. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems easier for someone born in the US who has Italian parents or grandparents to obtain Italian Citizenship than someone like me who gave it up to become a US Citizen!
The town of origin I would be choosing is the town where my father grew up. This is not the same town where I lived during my 8 years in Italy (there are no relatives or friends in the town I lived in).
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I suppose it is all a matter of point of view.

You actually gave up your citizenship knowingly; mine was taken away without my consent long before I was even born. :)

On the other hand, jure sanguinis applicants in most parts of the US have to wait a year or more just to get an appointment to present their documents, and then anywhere from months to years waiting for approval/rejection.

Your case could potentially be begun and completed within a few months total. I would urge you to contact your nearest Italian consulate to request specific details for your situation.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Actually, it's not difficult at all, and the time frame is considerably shorter than for those who apply jure sanguinis. You simply need to provide the basic documents the consulate requires, complete a form stating your desire to reclaim your citizenship, and then, within a year, go to Italy to establish residency--perhaps with a relative. Once you are in Italy and notify your comune, your citizenship should move very quickly.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Similar question regarding the above. I have an Italian passport. My companion does not but will be applying for an extended Visa to return to Italy with me. He will then apply for citizenship after three years because his grand-father was born in Italy. How long does he have to actually establish residency in Italy after the Visa is issued to him by the Consulate? I would think it might be in the range of six months to a year? Can anyone confirm this? Grazie.