Ship from Palermo story

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ArleneTami

Ship from Palermo story

Post by ArleneTami »

Was always told that grandma's relatives were coming over (likely from Palermo as she did headed for Ellis Island) but that the boat stopped in Argentina, they got off and could not afford to continue. Has anyone ever heard anything like this?
Thanks in advance :)
nazca
Elite
Elite

Re: Ship from Palermo story

Post by nazca »

Hi Arlene,
i know that boats departed from Palermo, Neaples and Genova to New York,New Orleans , Boston and maybe Philadelphia. From same port it was possible ship to South America but i never knew a line "Sicily-Argentina-USA". Maybe they try to establish in Argentina and after in Usa?

greetings.
I'm searching lost relatives and descendant of my greatgrandfather Vincenzo Genualdi (or Gennaldi or Genuardi) and my greatgrandmother Concetta Davola (their sons: Angela, Carmela, Antonio, Bartolomeo, Ernesto, Simone, Riccardo, Maria) went in Chicago,Ill., and New Orleans, in 1880-1920 from Sicily. Other family related : Jacobucci or Jacopucci (from Central Italy).
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I don't think you actually got the right story. Many immigrants just could not get a Visa for America but they had no trouble getting permission to go to Argentina. Most Visa's were issued for USA because the immigrant already knew someone there and in fact, was going to settle in the very same city as his relative or friend from back home in the old country who had immigrated before him.
jpetrelli
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jpetrelli »

nazca wrote:Hi Arlene,
i know that boats departed from Palermo, Neaples and Genova to New York,New Orleans , Boston and maybe Philadelphia. From same port it was possible ship to South America but i never knew a line "Sicily-Argentina-USA". Maybe they try to establish in Argentina and after in Usa?

greetings.
While not answering the question, but for what it is worth...

Having visited there on my honeymoon many years ago, I was surprised to learn that after the US, Argentina had the second largest population of Italian immigrants.

That's unsourced, etc., but leads me to believe travel routes from Italy to Argentina must have been somewhat readily accessible.
Researching Surnames:
Petrelli & Fumarola (Martina Franca); Camelio & Traniello (Gaeta); Aramini, Bruno & Guerra (Zagarise); Gusmano/Cusimano & Trapani (Corleone) and Caronna, Crisenza, Napoli & Torretta (Bisacquino)