Jacaruso, Giuseppe

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Penguini

Jacaruso, Giuseppe

Post by Penguini »

I am just beginning to research my Italian roots. I know very little and would be grateful to anyone who might have knowledge of the Jacaruso's or be able to direct my search in the appropriate direction.

My grandfather was Joseph (Giuseppe) Jacaruso who was born on April 18, 1881/1882/1884 in Italy. He was married to a Lena Roberti/Roberts born around/on 5/16/1890 in Bridgeport, CT. I believe that Lena's mother was Christine Mio and her father was John Roberti and they were both from Ruoti/Ruoto Italy. Joseph and Lena had ten children. The first child, Jennie, was born on October 29, 1910 and they lived in Stratford, CT. I don't have exact birth dates or a marriage date but I seems unlikely that Joseph arrived in Ellis Island in late November or early December 1909 and had a wife and child less that 10 months later.

There are four Giuseppe's which I have located which arrived at Ellis Island. They arrived on 3/30/1903 Ship- Sardegna; 4/19/1904 Ship- Zeeland; 11/25/1909 Ship- Konig Albert and 12/8/1909 Ship- Berlin. All the ship manifests stated was that the place of origin was Foggia. I believe that my Giuseppe was from the Celenza Valfortore, Foggia Province of Italy.

Are there or how/where can I find information about these various identically named Giuseppes that would allow me to differentiate among them. Has anyone researched any of these Jacaruso lines that could be of help?

Jeannine
vj
Master
Master

Re: Jacaruso, Giuseppe

Post by vj »

Hi Jeannine
Welcome to the Forum!
We'll be happy to see what we can do to help.
Do you have your family's US census and military registration records?
They may contain clues to the correct manifest.
Valarie

for reference

1942 WWII Draft Registration Card
http://a.imageshack.us/img295/7397/1942b.jpg
---

His 1918 WWI Card indicates that he declared his intention to become a citizen
His naturalization paperwork should list his ship and arrival date

1918 WWI Draft Registration Card
http://a.imageshack.us/img15/1844/1918s.jpg
---

possible 1910 census
http://a.imageshack.us/img203/8506/1910au.jpg

Home in 1910:
Stratford, Fairfield, Connecticut

head Joseph Jajacuso 25, abt 1885 IT
- married once, 0 years, abt 1910
- immig 1903, Pa (filed 1st papers for naturalization)
- trimmer(?), silver
wife Lena Jajacuso 18, abt 1892 CT
- 0 children
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

Valarie,
Thanks for responding so quickly. I do have the information of the 1920 and 1930 census records. I also have a copy of the WWI & WWII draft card registrations. On his WWI draft card dated September 12, 1918, he does mention his intent to become a U.S. Citizen but how does one locate the naturalization paperwork indicating the ship and arrival date? I found out that he became a naturalized citizen on February 5, 1924 and on the back of this document it's indicated that he had applied at earlier date but the request was denied on 10/01/1918 due to lack of knowledge, Docket #909. I was unsuccessful in locating a 1910 census on several occasions but perhaps it was due to the weird spelling of the name. Jeannine
Penguini

Post by Penguini »

Valarie,
I did find the naturalization record yesterday and did not realize that was what I was looking at until 5 minutes ago when I rechecked it but it does not indicate any ship or arrival date. That line is blank but I'm sure it's the right record because of the Allen Street address. The Jacaruso's actually had two addresses. The front of the house faced 75 Feeley Street and the rear of the house faced 62 Allen Street in Stratford, CT.

I still have found no records of Lena Roberti/Roberts, her father John Roberti/Roberts or mother Christina Mio who were both supposedly born in Ruoti/Ruoto Italy. Maybe these names are not accurate but it is what I was told by a family member. I was was also told that Lena's father went by the name John Lyons but I found nothing there either. Lena and family supposedly lived in Bridgeport, CT prior to her marriage to Joseph Jacaruso. I can find no census records for Lena's family, no marriage license for Lena & Joseph, etc. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks, Jeannine
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Penguini wrote:...
I still have found no records of Lena Roberti/Roberts, her father John Roberti/Roberts or mother Christina Mio who were both supposedly born in Ruoti/Ruoto Italy. Maybe these names are not accurate but it is what I was told by a family member...
Jeannine
Here's a possible 1900 census for a Lyons family in Bridgeport
Lena's birthdate is in May, but off by one year (not uncommon)
John has a 2nd wife Teresa (married abt 1894)

page 1
http://a.imageshack.us/img59/1838/1900zc.jpg
page 2
http://a.imageshack.us/img812/263/190001.jpg
---

For Joseph and Lena's marriage record, you could request a copy from both Bridgeport and Stratford using the years 1909- May 1910. But I believe the cost is abt $20 each?
You can also request a 'genealogical' record from the state of CT
http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=31 ... Nav=|46940|
---

Joseph's manifest is probably one of the 1903 or 1904 ones that you've already found
Sometimes after more research into your family's records one of the names or addresses that Joseph was 'joining in the US' on his manifest will pop up on a record as a witness, on another family member's manifest, on a census, etc
I'd hang onto both for now.
On Joseph's naturalization paperwork - there was a spot on both his Declaration of Intention and on his Petition for Naturalization for his ship info.

Valarie
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Jeanine,

The Giuseppe Jacaruso arriving in 1903 at Ellis Island fits the bill, and the ship's Manifest states that he lived in Celenza. He also states where he is going to in Connecticut and the name of his cousin. I think his father's name is mentioned also.

When you go into the Ellis Island site, just type in the surname, not Giuseppe, and you should find him. If this is him, he was probably born in 1881, and that would tie in with his age on the Manifest.

Seraphina