Info on Faggiani family in Brooklyn/Staten Island?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
heggieq

Info on Faggiani family in Brooklyn/Staten Island?

Post by heggieq »

Hi there,

I'm looking for information on my gggrandfather, Antonio Faggiani. He was born around 1847 in either Italy or Sicily, and emigrated to NYC around 1857. He also fought in the Civil War under the pseudonym George Tomaselli. (I believe he did this because he was only 15 when he enlisted and didn't want anyone to know his real age.)

However, I do not know for sure the names of any of his siblings or parents.

What I do know is he married Mary Fagan around 1880, and had three children--Isabel (my ggrandmother), Joseph, and William. He died around 1922 in Staten Island.

I believe he may have had a brother named Telesforo who went by the name Lester. His parents may have been named Vincent and Isabella, though I only know this from looking at the Mormon site--I don't know for sure.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Heather
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Info on Faggiani family in Brooklyn/Staten Island?

Post by ptimber »

Odd that all faggiani in Italy are currently in the northern half of Italy and Sardinia leaving the south and sicily without any faggiani. Do you happen to know the province he came from if you dig around a nd come up with some old foto, letter or cancellation stamp on an old envelope.erhaps family oral history can be conujured up with more info.Someone here may be able to dig up some arrival record but you have to know the town of origin before you can do anything. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

In the meantime also go to www.NASRA.gopv and click search then type in the rectangle CIVIL WAR RECORDS then click first line that shows up and then click civikl war records and how to file for information about his enlistment. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi: are this record Brookyn directory 1879:
FAGGIANI Lester hairdresser 64 Carlton av, and married to Martha Selana
FAGGIANI Salvator musician h 132 N. Elliott pl

http://www.bklyn-genealogy-info.com/Dir ... 879/f.html

About Telesforo are this record on Ancestry:
--------------------
Tellesforo FAGGIANI Birth: <1855> - PALOMA ITALY
Birth: 1854/1855
Residence: 1880 - Kings (Brooklyn), New York City-Greater, New York
and Martha wife

Martha FAGGIANI Birth: <1855> - PALOMA ITA
Birth: 1854/1855
Residence: 1880 - Kings (Brooklyn), New York City-Greater, New York
Source: Census - 1880 United States Federal Census
-------------
Well: Paloma town I think exist not in Italy... someone can see this record for better reading of Paloma name birthtown..

about Anthony:
Anthony Faggiani; George Tomaetlli(Tomaselli)
Mary Faggiani
Other: New York
Source: Military - Civil War Pension Index
regards, suanj
heggieq

Post by heggieq »

Thanks everyone for your help! All good stuff.

And yes, one of the troubles I had encountered was that some records said Antonio Faggiani was from Paloma, Italy (which I don't think exists anymore, if it ever did), and Palermo, Italy (not Sicily). The reason I say Italy is because they differentiated between Italy and Sicily on the Brooklyn census record I saw, but made it a point to call it Palermo Italy on his.

Has anyone ever heard of Paloma, Italy or Palermo, Italy?

For what it's worth, I heard from a Sicilian family friend that the name Faggiani is primarily in Palermo, Sicily, so that may be the answer after all. Still, very strange.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Got it! The town is Ceresole Alba, Provincia Cuneo, Piemonte region. Palermo is a "frazione" or suburb of Ceresole Ala. I feel sure but 100% certain this is the town of origin. Peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

suanj wrote: Anthony Faggiani; George Tomaetlli(Tomaselli)
Mary Faggiani
Other: New York
Source: Military - Civil War Pension Index
regards, suanj
I can tell you how wonderful those Civil War Pension documents are.
They give a amazing personal details about the soldier, and I have yet to see a file which doesnt contain at least 20 pages of records, and affidavits.

http://www.oz.net/~cyndihow/pensions.htm#B

This link will help you obtain copies from his pension file.
Things you will definitely find :
1. Soldiers date and full place of birth, marriage and death.
2. Record of all his natural children, with birthdates and places.
3. Detailed record of his service and any (even minor) injuries or hospitalization from the point of service forward.
4. A listing of every place of residence with period included since service.
5. Affidavits from soldiers who served with him, as well as of family and friends to prove his eligibility for pension.

You MUST get this file if possible, you won't be sorry.

Jim
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Thanks for giving me the opportuinity to give the correct website for the same information. Ity can also be found at www.Nara.gov for all miliatry records and pensions as well. Select rresearch and then write in what you are seeking and then select from the list. So if you want info on civil war pensions just write it in and then select from the listing. peter
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

ptimber wrote:Thanks for giving me the opportuinity to give the correct website for the same information. Ity can also be found at www.Nara.gov for all miliatry records and pensions as well. Select rresearch and then write in what you are seeking and then select from the list. So if you want info on civil war pensions just write it in and then select from the listing. peter
I was merely explaining what my experience has been with Civil War Pension records, and guiding the person to a site in which someone shares the same experience..with a multitude of useful links. And if you were to scroll down to the bottom of the site I linked you would find the Nara link(only one more directly targeted at Civil War Pensions Instead of "Nara.Gov"), and a bit of an explanation. So what are you talking about the "Correct Site"????
heggieq

Post by heggieq »

I think what he meant was that on his original posting he put the wrong web address.

Thanks to everyone for writing. And so promptly! I haven't has as good luck on other forums.

It's killing me that I can't do the research right now because I'm at work! (shhh)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

heggieq wrote:Thanks everyone for your help! All good stuff.

And yes, one of the troubles I had encountered was that some records said Antonio Faggiani was from Paloma, Italy (which I don't think exists anymore, if it ever did), and Palermo, Italy (not Sicily). The reason I say Italy is because they differentiated between Italy and Sicily on the Brooklyn census record I saw, but made it a point to call it Palermo Italy on his.

Has anyone ever heard of Paloma, Italy or Palermo, Italy?

For what it's worth, I heard from a Sicilian family friend that the name Faggiani is primarily in Palermo, Sicily, so that may be the answer after all. Still, very strange.
Hi: Paloma not exist; Palermo -Italia and Palermo-Sicilia is same town; Not exist another Palermo in Italy, only Palermo in Sicily region-Italy country...
Sure the birthplace is Palermo, Sicily... in this town was Faggiani and also Tomaselli..
About Tomaselli surname I think that is the Anthony mother surname.. very possible...
regards, suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Suyanj il pese e CERESOLE ALBA, Provincia CUNEO, Piemonte dove ce un frazuione PALERMO. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear james sorry to make you twitchy but I did not mean correct correct.ade a typo error and I corrected the website address not you !!!. Peter
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ptimber wrote:Suyanj il pese e CERESOLE ALBA, Provincia CUNEO, Piemonte dove ce un frazuione PALERMO. Peter
Peter io penso che sia proprio Palermo della Sicilia, anche perchè su altri documenti è scritto chiaramente Palermo-Sicilia..
ciao suanj
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

la ragione perche ho meso provincia cuneo e che in questi giorni no esiste faggiani in Italia meridionale soltanto nella zona centrale e nord Italia. Peter