Italian Birth Certificates pre 1866

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
robpisani

Italian Birth Certificates pre 1866

Post by robpisani »

Just started my Jure Sanguinis journey and am seeking Italian citizenship through my GGF. (My USA documentation is OK).

I wrote to the commune in Sestri Levante and requested birth and marriage certificates for my GGF (Bernardo Pisani - born in Sestri Levante @ 1836) and my GGM (Maria Nicolini born in SL @ 1837). The commune responded very quickly and advised that they do not have civil records that pre-date 1866. They also kindly provided a list of churches in Sestri Levante so that I might make inquiries. I plan on doing so, but wondered if there are other avenues I should try (e.g., Archdiocese in La Spezia or Genoa).

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Italian Birth Certificates pre 1866

Post by ricbru »

You may find Bernardo Pisani military draft card at the state archive, but, since there are not civil records before 1866, the only way to get a birth certificate is the bapt certificate from the church, hopefully the records still exist and they are still readable after sooo many years.
I guess Sestri Levante is not so big, so you may try to send the request to the main church
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
robpisani

Post by robpisani »

Riccardo,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my message. I'll definitely follow up and see if I can locate my great grandfather's draft records - although I wonder if any exist prior to the 1862 date when Italy became uinified (I think that was the year??).

I am also checking with the churches in Sestri Levante -- there are only about 5-6 churches, so maybe something will turn up there.

There is one other possibility that I am exploring -- my grandfather (who was born in NYC) was one of the first doctors in Little Italy. He was awarded the Chevalier of the Crown of Italy by the late King Victor Emmanuel III in 1917... I was told by an Italian friend that that honor might have some citizenship implications, so ma looking into that.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

This is the main church in Sestri Levante

Parrocchia Basilica Santa Maria Di Nazareth
Piazza Matteotti Giacomo
16039 Sestri Levante (GE)
Italy

Military raft card at Genova State Archive start from 1874, military record from 1884

I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
robpisani wrote:Riccardo,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my message. I'll definitely follow up and see if I can locate my great grandfather's draft records - although I wonder if any exist prior to the 1862 date when Italy became uinified (I think that was the year??).

I am also checking with the churches in Sestri Levante -- there are only about 5-6 churches, so maybe something will turn up there.

There is one other possibility that I am exploring -- my grandfather (who was born in NYC) was one of the first doctors in Little Italy. He was awarded the Chevalier of the Crown of Italy by the late King Victor Emmanuel III in 1917... I was told by an Italian friend that that honor might have some citizenship implications, so ma looking into that.

Thanks again for your suggestions!
robpisani

Post by robpisani »

Thank you again Riccardo!

I have just sent an email to the church so I will hope for the best.

I don't think it will help to write for the military records as my great grandfather came to the United States in 1858. Would you agree?

Again, I thank you so much for your help.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

Yes, I agree, I dont know if the priest will reply to you, usually they do research and issue certificates for a little donatiotion, like $ 10
Riccardo
robpisani

Post by robpisani »

Thanks again Riccardo - I just sent you an email.