Name Discrepencies On Documents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Name Discrepencies On Documents

Post by ande »

Hello again forum members. I wonder if anyone knows the answer to this. When I go to apply for citizenship through my mother's side, she had used different names. My birth certificate has her maiden name as Jean Messina and so does my parent's marriage certificate, both in New Jersey and both incorrect. Her birth certificate from New York City however has her correct name as Giuseppina Masino, completely different. This is the correct family name of my grandfather on his immigration and naturalization papers. HERE'S THE QUESTION.
Do I need to have both my parent's marriage certificate AND my birth certificate corrected or just my birth certificate which shows her maiden name as my mother?
Thanks, Ande
smasters

Re: Name Discrepencies On Documents

Post by smasters »

I just came from the LA Consulate appointment and was concerned about name discrepancies on the documents. For example, my grandfather's last name on his birth certificate is Fruscella. However, various other documents had his name spelled as Frucelli, Fruschelle, Fruscella, etc. And these were documents that we could not amend. However, it was not a problem as the lineage was clear. We were very upfront about the discrepancies because I wanted them addressed while we were there. Consulate personnel are very well aware of the name changes when the immigrants came over thru Ellis IS. Many names were even butchered, so the key is showing the lineage. Masino ==> Messina is certainly within reason. If you pronounced the last name to 10 people, the above 2 spellings would most likely show up. Also, if you go to the appointment and they want it changed, which I doubt, then you can change it and send it in to them without having to remake an appointment.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

On the other hand, many consulates are very picky about such things, especially when both spellings result in valid Italian names as in the case of Masino / Massina (many listings for both in the Italian telephone directory).

I would worry less about the marriage certificate as there is nothing in Italian citizenship law which requires that parents were actually married. However changing your mother's maiden name on your own birth certificate should be a simple matter and well worth the time and effort.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

Thanks again Carmine. I'll work on getting as many documents as possible amended to match.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I concur with Carmine. My father's given name on his bc was different from the name he has used all his life. All his other documents are inconsistent, and the consulate insisted that this be changed. I changed it only on my birth certificate--as Carmine notes, an easy amendment--and that was accepted in New York.
ande
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ande »

Thanks for the info mler.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I wouldn't knock myself out trying to amend documents created in the USA because of family name discrepancies. I would present them as is and let the Consulate make the determination as to whether or not the mis-spelled names are within the same family line. I have a similar situation for the immigrant whose documents I'm now gathering. His Italian name ends in an "I". But it was anglocized and changed to a "Y". The Consulates are more than aware that common name discrepancies occurred due to American officials not being familiar with the Italian language.