Discrepancies

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Discrepancies

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Ciao tutti,

How important is it to have no discrepancies in an application for Jure Sanguninis Citizenship? I only have a couple and they seem really minor.

First, my GGF was born with two middle names, neither of which he used in the USA. Instead, he used his baptismal name "Luigi" as his middle name on his marriage license and on his childrens' birth certs and "Louis" on his naturalization record. His first name is consistently correct, as is our family name through all generations.

Second, my GF really messed up my GGF's death record. My GGF's father's name is wrong, the mother's first name is correct but has no maiden name, and his birth date says August 14 instead of August 4 (correct year though). And of course the middle name is Luigi.

I'm not sure how important the death rec is. My GGF would be 114 yrs old, so he's obviously dead.

Also, my GF insists the death record is correct (even though he has a copy of my GGF's birth cert showing the correct info) but he's old and doesn't like to be argued with. :)

So my question is do these things matter? I've heard a change even in spelling of the last name is a problem, but does a middle name matter? And how much of a problem do you think the completely botched death rec is? I'd hate to have to change it, what with my GF being against the idea, but I can prove that it is incorrect.

Any thoughts?

Grazie in anticipo.
mler
Master
Master

Re: Discrepancies

Post by mler »

Yes, a middle name change could be a problem. What seems like a minor discrepancy to the applicant can cause the consulate to question whether they are dealing with the same person. A "Luigi" that pops up on later documents but does not appear on the actual birth certificate may raise red flags. Do you have a copy of the baptismal certificate? That might help. In any case, it's best to amend any document it is possible to amend.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I have a picture of the baptismal handwritten record from the church. Do you think that will be enough, or do you think I'll need an actual record?

Thanks.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It's always better to be overprepared. If it's possible to get the certificate, get it. It can only help.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Thanks for the suggestion Mler. I'll write to the church this week. Like you said the more documents the merrier.

What do you think about the death cert situation? Is it really important?
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

The NY Consulate lists all kinds of birth and marriage documents as necessary (many of which we've been told by experienced posters we don't need). At the end of their list they request "any pertinent death certificates." It seems like an afterthought, and as you say, obviously he's no longer with us. I don't know what they'd need it for if you have his birth record and marriage record. (I'm glad I have my GF's death cert since I could not find his civil marriage record and this gives his wife's name, matches my Dad's B.C.)
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

I have all kinds of discrepancies that I either can not or do not have time to change and I will be applying like this. I can report what happens after my appointment november 8th. I know we are applying for something very official but lets hope this does not get in the way of human logic and common sense. After all most of our discrepancies are very minor.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

I would just not offer the Death Certificate if its problematic unless they ask for it. I've repeatedly read on these boards that applicants have been asked to amend old records that the consulate MUST by now know are unamendable. They must know that not all Italians living in NY a century ago registered their births or marriages with the City. They must know that at times our ancestors were illiterate, did not know the language and made mistakes with the spelling of their names and their birth dates. I know the government is strict, but sometimes I think they just want to put us through the paces to see how much effort we'll put into establishing our lineage and how determined we are to overcome the obstacles.

I'm sure we are all interested in hearing what happens with your appointment!
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Yeah, I'm thinking the death record won't be a big deal. I mean the whole point is to prove we are directly descended from Italian citizens and that no one renounced the citizenship. I can see the marriage records, if there is some kind of "legitimate" birth requirement, but the death record of someone born in the 1880's is kind of extreme. At least I have it, but I think I'll keep it in reserve unless they ask for it. Thanks for the suggestion Karen.
mike123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mike123 »

from what i understand it is not required to present a death certificate. as in the law does not say you must present it with your case. however as an italian citizen living abroad technically someone is required to notify the consulate of the death.