Death certificate definitely needed?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Death certificate definitely needed?

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Do I definitely need a certified copy of a direct descendant? I was under the impression they needed it just so they knew for a fact the person was not alive. Being the person im talking about was born in 1860 its safe to assume he is dead. Im leery of getting a certified copy of his DC because his date of birth is wrong on it and it might be to far back to amend. Any tips?
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Death certificate definitely needed?

Post by Gianna75010 »

I had the same question about my GGF who was born in 1888. I emailed the Newark consulate to see if I really needed his death certificate (like your descendant he is clearly dead or the world's oldest living person in the world). The consulate simply responded that I could ask that question at my appointment - entirely useless answer.
So I decided to get the death certificate anyway and, like yours, it had the incorrect year of birth. It had 1868 instead of 1888, but it was simply a mathematical error because his age at the time of death was correct on the death certificate. I decided to have it amended to be on the safe side. In order to amend it (in NJ) I had to pay for a certified translation of his Italian birth certificate and submit that. It wasn't difficult, but it was time consuming.

I want to try to have everything in place before I go, so I amended it, but honestly, I can't imagine that they would ask for it.

When is your appointment? Mine is in November in Newark. I will post how it goes after, so I'll let you know if they asked for it.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

My appt is in June in Philly. I think what they are trying to say is bring in what you can and when your there they will tell you what they definitely need. Its a gamble but Ive been told by many on here that a lot of the documents are not even kept or even looked at. Especially the non direct line. People said they went through the whole effort with a non direct line certifications, apostilles and translations just to have it handed back to them. Did that happen to your friend who went to Philly?

I live in NJ and trying to get someone on the phone in Trenton VS is like trying to talk to the president. Can you tell me how you amended the death certificate. I do have the birth certificate from Italy they would need.
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

Vital Statistics in NJ is not good. Almost every time I request a document or asked for an amendment they did something wrong. Once they sent me the birth certificate for the wrong person. Another time they searched for a birth certificate instead of a death certificate. Another time I requested that a marriage certificate be amended and they sent it to the birth certificate amendment area where it was never heard of again. So basically you have to constantly follow up with them.

I got the form to amend the certificate online from their website and I mailed it to the address that was on the website. If the form is not filled out correctly, they will fill it out for you and mail it back to you. Then you sign and notarize it and mail it back. If the person on the death certificate was not born in the US, you have to have a certified translation of their birth certificate. I searched online for a service. I used USCTS. It cost $45 for 1 document and it only took a few days. I would say the whole process took about 6 weeks.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have other questions.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

It cost $45 for the translation but what did it cost you to amend it? I know there is a fee for that. And did you have to prove relation by sending in all the documents of people who came after or sending in the birth certificate and form to amend the DC was enough. I thought I would have to prove he is my g grandfather by sending in proof of all his descendants.
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

There was no fee to amend the certificate but you have to pay to get a new copy of the amended certificate (I think it's about $25 for the first and $2 for each additional). You do have to prove relation to the person your are amending. I amended my GGF who is my father's father's father so I have the same last night. I actually had my father send in the request so it was 1 generation closer. I had to send in copies of all birth certificates to prove the relationship. They also required copies of 2 forms of identification with addresses of the person making the request.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I knew it was more complicated then I thought. No one in my family is interested in helping in any way. So I guess I will have to send in all the birth certificates leading up to my GGF, 2 forms of Id, Italian birth certificate, translated certified certificate, and fee for certified copy of amended DC. Is that right?

PS- And I bet you 10 bucks they will hand it back to us and not keep it!
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

I don't think I submitted a copy of the Italian birth certificate, just the translation. Since you are farther away in lineage, you may want to call the NJ VS Corrections Unit first to make sure you are able to amend it. I don't know if they will accept an amendment from a 3rd generation relative. I think there might have been something on their website stating that only people who would have direct knowledge of the person could amend the documents. Double check the website and give them a call first.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I actually got someone on the phone and they said its ok but Im not sure they understood what I was talking about. They kept saying I have to prove his date of birth and I said I can, I have a BC from Italy. They couldnt quite grasp it. They are so dumb over there I cant stand it. So they said yes but I dont think they know what Im talking about!

Alicia
Gianna75010
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gianna75010 »

Haha. It sounds like a few of the conversations that I've had with them too!! I would just send in what they told you too. I would include a cover letter with your phone number too so they can call you if you are missing something. I did that and I got a call for some guy who actually seemed to know what he was doing. He told me exactly what I had to send back. Also if you have different types of documents to amend (e.g. death, marriage) I would send them in separate envelopes. I sent a death and marriage certificate (both for my grandfather) together and somehow after they arrived they got mis-routed to the birth certificate amendment department - don't even know how that is possible. It seems like the easiest you can keep things for them, the more likely that you will actually get what you requested!!!!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

They are plain dumb there. But Ill try!

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I just thought of another concern. MY GGF always just rolled with a birth year of 1862 even though it was 1860. Id like to get it amended but even on his tombstone it says 1862! Im afraid by amending it Im making it difficult for other generations to continue genealogy on him because Im making a document differ from a grave. Any thoughts?