NY, NY Naturalization Records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

NY, NY Naturalization Records

Post by KarenChristino »

I called the NY County (Manhattan) Court today so just want to pass along their info. To ask for a Naturalization Search, write to NY County Clerk, 60 Centre Street, Room 161, New York, NY, 10007, Attn: Old Records. There is a $10 fee which is payable with a certified check or M.O. only. He said they would send a certified copy or letter of no record.

They have Naturalization records before 1924. The guy also said that the immigrant had to reside here for 5 years before they could apply at that time. My GGF arrived in 1895 and my GF was probably born in 1896 so he couldn't have been naturalized yet. But I don't know how to prove that, so I'm just getting the courts and USCIS to say they have no records.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Re: NY, NY Naturalization Records

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Karen, there are indexes to the NY County Supreme Court Naturalization Records. If you'd like to give your GGF's name, I'd be happy to search the index at Ancestry for you. Much easier/faster to get the records (if they exist) if you have the volume and page number.
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
KarenChristino
Veteran
Veteran

Post by KarenChristino »

Debi, I appreciate the help! But tried Ancestry, Footnote, etc. and came up with nothing. I am just trying to get a "No Records" letter from Manhattan. (And I guess I am old fashioned, but I never quite trust that the online indexes are completely complete or that I am not making some kind of error!) But the clerk did not need anything other than the name -- he did the search while I waited on the phone. He came up with a few other people with the same surname who were naturalized in 1891 and 1914. I had the same experience when I went down to the Record Room in Brooklyn -- they also seem to have it indexed by name. Then the clerk brought out a big old book and photocopied the page for me.

Now when I write them someone else will check it a second time so I will feel even more confident that they really don't have anything for me! :)
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Okey-doke! :)
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata