What's the Furthest You've Gone Back

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What's the Furthest You've Gone Back

Post by piazza16428 »

OMG I have checked out the attached website and you have been doing some mighty work. I agree with you getting information out of Italy is sometimes confusing and frustrating and I feel sometimes that they piecemeal the information that they release. But your work seems to be pretty concise and I am so impressed. Wish you would get over to Vallelunga, Pratameno, Caltanissetta, Sicily and get their records before they disappear.

Great job and keep up the fantantic work you are doing.

Sam
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

1230??? Wow! That is fantastic. I'd love to trace the line back into the middle ages. My family is from Toscana, so I'll keep my fingers crossed that Tuscans saved their records better than their paesani to the south. Thanks for the info! I also, love the idea of publishing everything online. Thanks again.
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
piazza16428
Veteran
Veteran

Post by piazza16428 »

Here Here on the publishing on line. Hell these people have been dead for 100's of years and I am sure they would not mind one bit. LOL
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

Boscarato

http://w3.framespa.univ-tlse2.fr/malte/ ... .php?id=56
1333, 19 novembre
fratris Ymberti de Boscairato militis (4th line from bottom of page)

http://www.ostravetere.com/images/stori ... ca2007.pdf
Boscareto

Lou pichot tresor By Xavier de Fourvières (père), Rupert (Provençal priest.) page 105 bouscarato sf. petite forêt

http://webspobles.ddgi.cat/sites/bascara/default.aspx

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Abbazia.jpg
All local records were stored here before WWI
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

piazza16428 wrote:Well don't give up your search. Have you tried the Family History Library in your area? I know some people are put off with the Mormons, hell I am one of those, but they have resources that you cannot believe and once I receive information from a researcher in Italy I always confirm the information on microfilm tapes that I order from Salt Lake. I mean I am here in Orlando and I usually have a requested tape within a week. Great service so you might what to try them.
Sam
I ordered a microfilm one month ago and still have not received it. Do you know why it would take so long, especially since you get yours in a week? I actually ordered two (one from Ireland civil registration) and I haven't received either one.

Thanks, Annette
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

If microfilm is on backorder, it can sometimes take a month or more to get. You should call the local center at which you ordered the film and have someone there check on the status of it for you.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Yes, I tried that already. They didn't answer the phone when they were open (which is very limited hours) and they didn't return my phone call, when I left a message. My guess is they will give me the 800 number and tell me to call myself. That's what they did when I had a question about the film I was ordering. They don't seem very knowledgeable, unfortunately. I guess I will just have to go over there, the next time they are open.

Thx.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

My local center gets a status report after the order goes in, which is now done via internet. There is no reason why your local center does not get the same kind of status report. At my old center, the films used to be mailed to the home of the center's director via UPS rather than to the center itself, since it wasn't open everyday and had limited hours when it was opened. I am not sure what the procedure is at my current center since I don't go there very often. They always phone though when the films have arrived and leave a message about how long the films will be available at the center. You should not have to call SLC yourself to get an update on the status of your films. It sounds like the volunteers at your center are not very well organized.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Yes, I do have to say I had the same impression. I was very disappointed that they couldn't answer my questions (which in retrospect was very easy to answer and I got someone from the Ireland board to answer for me when I posted it) and they offered to give me the number and have me call myself! But what is really the most disappointing to me is that they didn't even answer the phone when I called during the 3 hours they are open a week and didn't return my call, when I left a message. They do have a number that you can during off-hours, but it looks like someone's private number and I didn't want to bother them. But I will try again tomorrow and if I don't get a response, I will call the private number and hope they answer the phone!
dragoni
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dragoni »

lots of church and notary records for two of my paternal lines from san salvatore telesino to the 1580 period and morrone to the 1570 period. for my maternal lines not as fortunate with the church records gioia sannitica to 1690 and civitella licinio to 1675.

as i understand from the gentleman helping me in italy there are diocese records for the areas but they are not archived and he has never been able to access them. such a shame as they risk deterioration with each passing year.

tommaso
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

ForzaItaliaPgh wrote:Ciao tutti,

Just out of curiosity, what is the furthest some of you have traced your line back? I've read that surnames in Italy started in the 1300's and harbor hopes that I'll be able to trace my folks back that far, but realize 1500's might be more realistic. Has anyone gotten back that far or know of someone who has?
On my Italian side, sadly, only back to 1850 (although I am confident I will go back further, soon).

On my paternal grandfather's side, as far back as 1660, to my GX9 grandfather who came here from England on either the same ship as William Penn or one in his fleet. I got lucky; a cousin of mine on that side (several times removed) researched our family history in the 50's and 60's. It was a huge undertaking, and he wrote two books about it, both of which I have a copy of.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito