Information of Uncle

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Information of Uncle

Post by 5zoe16 »

I am looking to my Uncle Anthony (Tony) Divito middle name could be John or Joseph. He was born 1914 in Bronx new york. He was a crew member, possible bell hop, on the Grace Liner cruise ship SS Santa Paula. He died from Malaria or Typhoid (?) after passing through the Panama Canal. As he was ill he was hospitalized and died somewhere in California, around 1937.
It has been noted he died at a Marine (merchant) Hospital at the age of 24. But I cannot locate any more. Thanks.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Information of Uncle

Post by johnnyonthespot »

A long shot, I am sure...

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Actually, never mind; you said he was born in New York, so he should not be on a list of alien crew members.

[edit]

Darn! I just looked again and see that he is listed as a US citizen.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Do you know the names of Anthony's parents? It would help in weeding out records.
Carmine

5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Thank you. Anthony's parents were, Joseph (giuseppe) Divito, his mother was Josephine (Giuseppina Giordano) Divito, They were from the Bronx.
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

It lists Anthony as a USC, I guess that means United States Citizen. This could be him. Any mention of the illness and death? As this could be the cruise he became ill on. Any info leading to the hospital and his burial etc is appreciated. I was told he was on the SS Santa Paula, but this could be wrong.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

It appears that you can request an "Informational Copy" of his death certificate for just $12.00. Might be a worthwhile investment.

See http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdea ... cords.aspx

When completing the form, just put "Unknown" in the City and County fields.
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi! :-)

For reference purposes...
1930 Census for Joseph and Josephine DeVito and family in the Bronx, including son Anthony...

1930 United States Federal Census
about Anthony Devito
Name: Anthony Devito
Home in 1930: Bronx, Bronx, New York
View Map
Estimated birth year: abt 1914
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's name: Joseph Devito
Mother's name: Josephine Devito
Race: White
Household Members:
Name Age
Joseph Devito 47
Josephine Devito 40
Antoniette Devito 20
Anthony Devito 16
Frank Devito 11
Colombo Devito 4

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/8043/devito1930.jpg

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I noticed on the manifest that Carmine posted that the name was crossed out and written above...
Looks like it could have been changed to only Vito...
You might consider also searching the last name "Vito" when searching for Anthony...

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

5zoe16 wrote:I am looking to my Uncle Anthony (Tony) Divito middle name could be John or Joseph. He was born 1914 in Bronx new york. He was a crew member, possible bell hop, on the Grace Liner cruise ship SS Santa Paula. He died from Malaria or Typhoid (?) after passing through the Panama Canal. As he was ill he was hospitalized and died somewhere in California, around 1937.
It has been noted he died at a Marine (merchant) Hospital at the age of 24. But I cannot locate any more. Thanks.
On the family tree you have on Ancestry I see that you list Anthony Divito's birth date as 1913, and his death date as 1934...

Why the difference from what you posted above?

T.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Need to consider a "De" prefix as well. De Vito is nearly three times as common in Italy as is Di Vito. Divito is quite rare, with only 23 listings in the current Italian telephone directory. See http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... o&dv=&l=en

Prefixes can be very unreliable, coming and going and changing over the years. As I implied at the beginning of this thread, "Divito" is almost certainly not your original family name. Also, some search engines distinguish between prefix-space-name and prefix-nospace-name, so you need to watch out for that as well.
Carmine

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

5zoe16 wrote: It has been noted he died at a Marine (merchant) Hospital at the age of 24. But I cannot locate any more. Thanks.
Where was this notation?

T.
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Not sure of city of hospital, or where he died. I was told of Typhoid fever or malaria. The manifest fits his age and the spelling could be off. Any Idea between the SS Santa Paula and SS Pennsylvania. Same cruse line? Perhaps a web site to locate marine history by ship name?

Thanks, I will try other spellings of last name.

Also, any info on Anthony Malanga and Anna Divito married aroud 1908. Children, Adolph, Angelo, Anne, and Albert. Lived 1746 Eastburn Ave, Bronx. Married 70 years. All the information I have.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

WWI Draft Reg Card
http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/4829/zzmalangawwi

WWII Draft Reg Card
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/252/ ... gawwii.jpg

Place of birth possibly Bella, province of Potenza - region: Basilicata

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
5zoe16
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 5zoe16 »

Uncle Anthony was born 1914, per all the census listings. My father said he died 1934, but the ships manifest, if this is he, is dated 1937. I cannot locate either birth or death records to certify dates correctly.

Thanks