Passport Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
autumn4680
Rookie
Rookie

Passport Translation

Post by autumn4680 »

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to translate my great-grandfather's passport and could use some help. Some of it I have been able to translate using online translation generators to at least get an idea of what it says. Some things are a bit confusing though.

Specifically, I am trying to figure out what the first handwritten portion says regarding Francescantonio's brother and the year 1882. Based on the information below that section, the passport was issued in 1896, so I'm not sure I understand the reference to 1882. Also, I do not understand all the hand written portions in the left column regarding appearance. Can anyone read this?

The other thing I am trying to figure out is where he departed from and where he arrived, name of ship, etc. — but I am not seeing that information on this document, which is surprises me. The only stamp that gives me any clues is the one for Genova on the back, but I think it also says forwarder? Considering the location of his home town (Marsiconuovo) being so close to Naples, I would presume he debarked there and maybe the ship stopped in Genoa? I have no idea if he arrived in Ellis Island as I have not been able to find any manifests for him. I know he settled in Philadelphia and I have found one other reference to a brother, Antonio, living with him and their uncle in Philadelphia in 1900. Since I don't know anything else about this brother, I am interested in seeing if the handwritten portion of the passport appearing to reference him will yield any good information for me.

I appreciate any help you can give. Thanks so much!

I've attached JPGs of front and back. I had trouble posting better quality files because the file size was too big. Let me know if these are too difficult to read.

Michelle
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Passport Translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Michelle - Happy New Year! :-)

The handwritten section reads:

Masino Francescantonio (Francescantonio Masino) son of deceased Giuseppe going to ??? ???? with his brother Antonio born in year 1882.

Not sure if the birthdate refers to Francescantonio or his brother, probably his brother.

The Passport was issued in Potenza on 27 April 1896.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

When I enlarged the document, the left column became blurred, but it looks like he was age 21 or 24 (?), his hair was "chestnut" brown, and his eyes were brown. I'll defer to anyone who is better able to read the left side :-)

I can read the last three items in the left column...
Born in ... Marsiconuovo
Residing ... there
Signature of bearer... his name

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The writing on the back in the upper right is the signature of the official that he approved the departure of Masino on 2 May 1896...

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think he was going to New York.

age looks like 21 to me
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

maestra36 wrote:I think he was going to New York.
Yes, I think that's it... can't find a manifest though.

T.
autumn4680
Rookie
Rookie

Post by autumn4680 »

Wow, thank you everyone for your fast response!

I've enclosed a cropped version of the written part, this may be easier to read. Looking at the original, it definitely looks like 21 for his age.

Which word in Italian identifies that his father Giuseppe is deceased? This is something that I had been wondering about... why he and his brother came alone and took up residence with their uncle in Philadelphia.

I can't find a manifest either, it's frustrating, lol.

Thanks!
Michelle
autumn4680
Rookie
Rookie

Post by autumn4680 »

Here is a cropped version of the back. Does that Genova stamp mean his ship stopped there too or do you think he boarded there?

So, is it safe to assume that Francesco and his brother Antonio traveled using just this one document? If 1882 refers to Antonio's year of birth, than he would have only been 14 when they traveled... too young for his own documents?

Thanks!
Michelle
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I know he settled in Philadelphia and I have found one other reference to a brother, Antonio, living with him and their uncle in Philadelphia in 1900.
Could this be Francescantonio's family in Philadelphia in 1910?

Household
Frank Masino M 34y
Spouse Rosie Masino F 25y
Child Rosarie Masino F 2y
Child Anna Masino F 1y 3m

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Michelle,

After Francescantonio's name is "fu" which indicates that his father was deceased.

You may be right about Antonio being a minor and traveling under his brother's passport, but I'm no expert in that area. Hopefully someone here will clarify...OR...you can post that question in the "Immigration and Naturalization" forum so that it will get viewed by forum members who are more familiar.

You can ask your question about the Genoa stamp there as well. It was common for the ships to visit several ports (Genoa, Naples, Palermo, etc. before heading across the Atlantic)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Left Column...

CONNOTATI (distinguishing marks)

Height - 1.58 meters (about 5'3")
Hair - brown (castani means chestnut)
Eyebrows - same
Eyes - same
Nose - "just" (correct)
Mouth - same
Chin - same
Beard - without
Particular marks - "something" on left ear
Situation - barber
Born in - Marsiconuovo
Residing - there
Signature...

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

One thing about the Italian passport, according to Trafford Cole in his book about Italian Genealogical Records, is that it may have been requested months or even years before the actual emigration. So, the 1896 date on the passport may not be the year of emigration to the U.S. You can check with the anagrafe or registry office of the town in Italy though, as that office kept track of changes in residency, which included dates that residents left a particular town and their destination. You might ask the town to check their emigration registers for your ancestor's information.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The round red stamp on the back of the passport is the stamp of a shipping agent in Genova and holds a May 14, 1896 date, The other red stamped word is TOLDA=deck.
The passport was issued on April 27 1896 and was valid for 1 year.
Also on the back of the passport the handwriting reads: "Visto partire marsico 2 maggio 1896, firma del sindaco" = "Seen leaving, on May 2 1896, signed by the mayor"
I would assume that he traveled in 1896...
autumn4680
Rookie
Rookie

Post by autumn4680 »

Thank you everyone, you have been most helpful!