searching for Maria Iannaccone, Italian Immigrant

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dedee152

searching for Maria Iannaccone, Italian Immigrant

Post by dedee152 »

I am trying to find any information about my grandmother Maria Iannaccone. No one seems to know when she came to America. I know that she was already married and had a child in May 1920. So she had to come here before then. I also know she cam here when she was a young girl from Serino Avellino Italy. I thought I could get this information from the National Archives and Records Administration, but unless I know the port of entry and approximate date of arrival, they are unable to help me. Does anyone know any other websites or anywhere I can get additional information. I am trying to do a family heritege album for my children. This is the only missing piece of the puzzle. If there is anyone that can help me please contact me at dedee152@hotmail.com. Thank you very much.......Judy Raulerson
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: searching for Maria Iannaccone, Italian Immigrant

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Judy,

Is Iannoccone Maria's married name or maiden name? Can you provide an approximate year of birth? Have you checked census records for her? Do you know where in the USA the family lived? In 1920 you stated Ohio. What about before and after? Do you know her parents names, siblings names? Her husband's name and children. This information will help identify her on the census and immigration records.

Debbie
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Hi Judy,

I received your private message. I am going to be out most of today. I would recommend you post your information to this site, rather them PM. It will enable more folks to help you. YOu did provide me alot of information details and I am going to summarize some here.

Just a brief summary of your objective.

Maria Iannocone is the maiden name and you are looking for her passenger record for when she entered the USA. Father is Amato and mother is Angela Marie Mignone ?spelling of her surname. She had siblings Raffaela and Domenico come to USA in 1906, whoose record you have found.

What census (years and place) have you found her on? The census will give you a year of immigration and her naturalizationn status.

Since you have not been able to find her on Ellis Island that may help narrow things down.

Debbie

PS: There are some folks here that are fantastic with finding passenger records. Perhaps, with this additional information, the record can be found. Good luck.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Using sounds like many:

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... e=1&fail=0

1 Iannaccone,Maria Serino, Italy 1921 20
2 Iannaccone,Maria U.S.A. 1907 45
3 Iannaccone,Maria Avellino 1903 41
5 Iannaccone,Maria 1902 9
6 Iannaccone,Maria S. Angelo alife 1902 40
7 Iannaccone,Marianna Avellino, Italy 1907 22
8 Iannaccone,Mariantoni Elena 1907 24
9 Iannacone,Marianna Avellino, Italy 1920 16

Using soundex pulled 84 results:

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... e=1&fail=0

wldspirit
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Give us the full name of her husband and where she lived in the US....then we can find her in the census and find out the year of her arrival....
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

[I am trying to find out when my grandmother came here to america. She was born Dec. 20, 1895 or 1896. She came to america as a young girl. She married my grandfather Pasquale Spinosa. I don't know when she married but she had her first child April 28, 1918. She lived in Hawthorne New Jersey, She was buried in Paterson New Jersey. Her Fathers Name was Amato Iannaccone and her mothers name was Angela Marie(Mignone) Iannaccone. My grandmother came here from Serino Avellino Italy. She had one sister Raffaela(Iannaccone) Vigorito and one brother Domenico Iannaccone. They both came to America on August 16, 1906. They both went to Paterson New Jersey to join Raffaela's husband Fiore Vigorito. I tried to get this information from the National Archives and Records Administration. But unless I know the exact date and port of entry when she came here they said they can't help me. Anyone that can help me please contact me at dedee152@hotmail.com Thank you ....Judy Raulerson]

Copied and Pasted from another thread.....
wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Sorry, just realized the links above did not work :oops:

Hopefully this one will.....this is the manifest for Raffaela and Domenico,
thought maybe it would help provide clues.......

http://ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup_wei ... &line=0017

wldspirit
dedee152

Post by dedee152 »

I already found her sister and brother. I know when they came to america, but thank you anyway. Judy Raulerson
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

OK.....

There is no Pasquale Spinosa listed in the census for NJ that I can find. Did Pasquale go by another name? Found no Pat or Patsy which are usual. But I did find a Charles Spinosa, married to a Maria whose first child listed was born about 1918 named Maria? Is this the family? Did Maria live next door to her mother-in-law? There is a woman next door that might be the mother of Charles Spinosa..but not sure if this is the same person as Pasquale.

Was she called Maria? Could she have gone by another name? What are the names of the children??? It will help track them back...

We need the "specific" information on her husband and children in order to locate Maria in the census.........we need to know where she was in 1920 and 1930...

Let us know...
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

J A N N A C O N N E..... and T A N N A C O N E ..... thanks to the manifest that wldspirit posted!!! :P It certainly helped... when you look at the script... There are people from Serino... with those names...

It's that "J" and the "I" that look like a "T" as well...

Did find an Amato... maybe Maria's father??

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 4339020636

First Name: Amato
Last Name: Tannacone
Ethnicity: Italy
Last Place of Residence: Serino
Date of Arrival: July 21, 1892
Age at Arrival:  37y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:    
Ship of Travel: Olympia
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0238

going to New York, also traveling with a Vincenzo Vigorito...

Also note a Miglione Donato age 20 on line 246 (please note spelling as Judy was not sure)...

mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I only posted Rafaella and Domenico's manifest so others could search for
clues......they are much more experienced than I..... :oops:

wldspirit

Edit for P.S.

See.....what did I tell ya....Mfjp is on the trail!!!!!!!
And Essgee is on the census......this site is fantastic!!!!!!
dedee152

Post by dedee152 »

First I want to thank all of you for trying to help me find the information on my grandmother. Thank you all very much. My grandfathers name was Pasquale Spinosa, for some strange reason he changed his last name slightly when he got to America. He changed the last letter from an a to an o, making his last name Spinoso. From the information I have his mother and father never came to America. My grandmother went by the name Maria Carmela (Iannaccone) Spinoso. They lived in Hawthorne New Jersey at 131 Royal Avenue. Childrens names were Natalo Spinoso April 18,1918......Philamena Spinoso May 12, 1920......Amato Spinoso Jan. 4, 1922......Angela Spinoso July 21, 1923......Leonardo Spinoso Aug. 19, 1926......Pasquale Spinoso Feb. 13, 1932. What I have is that they lived in Hawthorne New Jersey. She died in April, 1944 and was buried in Paterson New Jersey. I believe that maybe my grandmother at some point in time joined her sister Raffaela(Iannaccone)Vigorito who lived in Paterson New Jersey. My grandfather also lived in Paterson New Jersey when he first came to America. I hope this may be of some help. If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know. Again I want to thank all of you. Judy Raulerson
Buona
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Buona »

I'm sure someone will be able to give you full details but there is a Spinosa Family on the 1930 NJ census.
Pasty Spinoso name Spinoso city, Passaic, info abt 1895 location info
Mary Spinoso name Spinoso city, Passaic, info abt 1898 info
Natale Spinoso abt 1919 info
Phieline Spinoso abt 1921 info
Arnoto Spinoso abt 1922 info
Angeline Spinoso 1924 info
Lenard Spinoso info abt 1927

There is also a Gaetano Iannaconne in 1921 going to his son Domenico in Patterson,NJ, leaving behind a son Francesco.

Good luck
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Found them in the census.

Indexed in 1920 under the name of Patsy Spinga..
1920 census of Pateson, Passaic, NJ ED 120, page 8 A
Spinozo, Patsy,age 25, born Italy, arrived in 1913, papers applied for
---------, Maria, age 22, born Italy, arrived in 1916, alien
---------, Natale, age 7/12 born NJ
-Domini, Sylvio, boarder in home

In 1930 census of Paterson, Passiac, NJ, ED 16-55,page 17 (?)B

Spinozo, Patsy, age 35, married at 22, born Italy, arrived 1916(?)
---------, Mary, age 32, married at 18, born Italy, arrived 1916
---------, Natale, age 11, born NJ
---------, Philomena, age 9, born NJ
---------, Amato, age 8, born NJ
---------, Angelina, age 6, born NJ
---------, Leonardo, age 3y9m, born NJ

Pasquale arrived on the ship The Berlin out of the port of Naples on March 18, 1913. He was on his way to his uncle, Leonardo Pastuso, in Patterson, NJ. Stated his home town and place of birth as being Alberobello, which is in the Province of Bari in Puglia.

I can find no record for Maria. There was a cousin...and Annunciata Iannoccone who did arrive in 1916, on her way to what is listed as a cousin...going to the family of Raffaela it would appear..."Fiore". Lists her father as Antonio. But no signs of Maria. Either with Iannaccone, Yannaccone, Jannaccone, or variatons like Iamacone, etc. The last name must be butchered very badly at this juncture. The NARA should be able to find it with her name and the year of 1916. There is no doubt that she came into the Port of New York when you ask them to look it up. There is a slim to nothing chance she came in via another port...but treat it like you know it was New York. This way they will search for all variations...and if they find nothing, you can try again with different alternative ports of entry.

Now, you need to find the marriage records for these two people. According to the census, they must have married in 1917. The listing of their names and that of the parents and witnesses might give you more information. One thing we know is unusual here. Pasquale came from Bari...and you believe she comes from Serino in Avellino. Which means that they probably did not meet in Italy. The families did not arrange the marriage in all likelihood. They probably met in New Jersey. This is against the common practice of the times.

Secondly, he applied for papers between his arrival and 1920...meaning he had intention of naturalization. Yet by 1930 he is not a citizen and neither is Maria. There is a notation on his arrival record that his arrival was checked for legality...#3-73778 which is the reference number of the request for natualization documentations. This will help identify his eventual naturalization if it occurred. The important note, however, is that she was not naturalized by 1930...if she eventually became a citizen herself...she would have had to apply under her own name...after 1922 women had to apply separately. If she had done so, when she arrived and the boat she came in on would be listed. This is something you can look into....if she voted, she was a citizen.

Sorry that I cannot find the record. Maybe on of the great manifest locators will lend a hand knowing the year. Found not Carmela either, by the way...just so you know I looked.

Hope this helps a little...hang in there.......you will solve it eventually
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

HI Judy,

YOu have been given some good advice and things to think about.

If the couple married in NJ you can go to the state archives in Trenton. The marriage records are available to search on microfilm. They are alphabetical by groom and by year. Last time I was there copies were 50 cents each. The archives have a web site and good directions. Easy parking (free) and area well monitored by police. Makes it easy to get the marriage record if you want it.

Debbie