Is it possible to apply in another jurisdiction?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Is it possible to apply in another jurisdiction?

Post by beauac »

What exactly are the rules? I know one must apply in the jurisdiction where one lives...BUT what exactly does that mean? Where one lives at the current moment? Where one lived for the most of his life? Or where his ancestors lived? I have relatives in another jurisdiction where few people apply and I could get my answer much sooner and perhaps deal with nicer and more lenient people. Could I say that I am living with them and make an appointment with that consulate? I could bring a piece of mail with me from that address, but I do not think I could change my license or anything like that. Anybody have an idea? I live in CT and I would have to fly to Houston for my appointment.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Is it possible to apply in another jurisdiction?

Post by beauac »

If this seems like a far fetched idea just think about the lengths I am willing to go to get my citizenship. NYC is brutal. :evil:
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

You have to apply where you CURRENTLY reside. Meaning at your current LEGAL residence b/c this is the jurisdiction you are living in. You can't just bring a piece of mail with you, you'd need to legally change your address to be able to go to a different consulate. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(
Researching BARONTINI family from Tuscany
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

So you mean you need to apply where your address is listed with the government? I lived in Colorado for a year and had an apartment and paid bills there but I still had my CT license, never registered with the town or anything, never changed my license plates. So during that time I would have had to still apply in CT? How can I register my address as a different one?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The consulate will want proof of residency usually in the form of a driver's license, but a lease or a deed will do as well. Don't worry about NY. If your documentation is complete and accurate, you will not have a problem.

Correspondence addressed to you is not sufficient. The consulate will not permit you to "shop around" for a consulate. You must apply at the consulate that serves the jurisdiction of your legal residence.
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

Yeah, you're pretty much going to have to go with where your license is from.
beauac
Veteran
Veteran

Post by beauac »

Well if I could get the license it would be worth it to get a sooner appointment.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

You have to be able to prove that you are a resident in the consular district. You could use a piece of mail but only if it were from a government agency, such as Social Security, for example.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

More and more states are requiring significant proof of residency in order to obtain a driver's license. Why not simply go to NY and see what happens?
ForzaItaliaPgh
Elite
Elite

Post by ForzaItaliaPgh »

I agree with Mler, seems like it would be quite a process to avoid NYC. If you qualify for citizenship, NYC will approve you and same as Houston.
MiaCarelli

Post by MiaCarelli »

I think you only need a U.S. passport to apply, and my corrected passport was a heck of a lot easier to get than a NYS driver's license. http://travel.state.gov/passport/forms/forms_847.html

But before you go through the rigamarole of changing your official residence, I would thoroughly research the proposed consulate to be certain that they are faster or easier on the issues that are challenging you. They may not ultimately be that different. Maybe you should first take the time to see if you can clear up your document issues.

Ultimately, identity (and genealogy) can be a very flexible thing -- check out the 1970s counterculture book, The Paper Trip for more http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... &x=16&y=13

I have only read parts I and II and not the more recent III, which will probably be the most helpful to you.

Mia
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

They do indeed ask for a US passport (although it is possible to apply without one), but the US passport does not provide proof of residence, and the consulates will ask for that before they consider your application.

There has been a lot of anecdotal evidence that the Houston consulate is more flexible than some of the others, but ultimately your acceptance depends on the completeness and accuracy of the documents you submit.