Names-Italian to American

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Names-Italian to American

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

I have a few names I was wondering if they translate over to American and what people in Naples would have used, if different than "book" translations for these names. Like my mother speaks "book" Italian, my grandmother on the other side spoke dialect and often their translations did not agree.

Anyway,
My father, Frank George is named after his uncle Frank and George after his grandfather Catello (he remembers his mother telling him that) he said they called Catello (George) does that make any sense?
Saverio-does that translate to an American name? They have Saverio as Salvatore in some records and he named his last son Salvatore?
As I am going through the trees I find the names all mean something, someone was named after everyone!
My uncle's middle name is Constantine does that equal Gus in American?
Thank you all again!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Names-Italian to American

Post by adelfio »

I think thats a hard one because every italian family changed names for there own reason named after someone is one and in trouble is another try to leave behind something in the old country.
heres a site
http://www.daddezio.com/genealogy/italian/names.html
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tzan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tzan »

I have a Saverio in my family also, some records from the US have him listed as Steve. It does get very confusing and makes it hard to find the
documents you need.

Punzo, I'm from Pittsburgh also....got to love those Steelers, that was a
great game last night.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Saverio is actually Xavier.
There was a Saint Catellus, he is Patron Saint of Castellamare near Naples. Catellus was also a King of Ancient England. S. George is the Patron Saint of England. Does that help, probably not.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
tzan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tzan »

LOL, some of this is so confusing it makes my brain hurt.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Are you kidding? Yes! That is very helpful. I am Catholic and didn't know about St. Catellus!!!
Italysearcher wrote:Saverio is actually Xavier.
There was a Saint Catellus, he is Patron Saint of Castellamare near Naples. Catellus was also a King of Ancient England. S. George is the Patron Saint of England. Does that help, probably not.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Yes, that was GREAT! :)
tzan wrote:I have a Saverio in my family also, some records from the US have him listed as Steve. It does get very confusing and makes it hard to find the
documents you need.

Punzo, I'm from Pittsburgh also....got to love those Steelers, that was a
great game last night.
onyxshadow13
Rookie
Rookie

Post by onyxshadow13 »

On a not so, but related subject... I have researched thousands of documents over the past five years and I need some help. My family name changed when my great grandmother and grandfather moved to the states because the name was too long... the name is now FRAIL but noone knows exactly what the original name was. Can anyone help??? to the best of my knowledge they came from Sicily sometime between 1910 and 1920.

Thank you,
Rocky
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

Hi Marty,

I hope you can help me with this, it has been bothering me all night. I found my grandfather Salvatore's original birth certificate (yes, my dad had it!) Well, I though records of birth had to be correct, I know when my husband and I had our children everything was to the T (granted that was in 1997, not 1914, but it was in New Haven, not Italy.) OK, here goes the thing that's been keeping me up all night:
Firstly, it states: Salvatore Ponzo (his last name was Punzo on everything else, WWII doc's, death certificate, his name on my father's b. cert.)
Secondly, HIS father's name is listed as George Ponzo (where is Catello?)
Thirdly, which was my big stumbling block was his mother's maiden name, listed as Louise Proto (Ponzo)
Fourth: There are NO records of a George Ponzo or Punzo in New Haven that are even close to his age. Nor any record of Louise Punzo/Ponzo or Proto.
Do you have any idea what went on? Though my father verified their names.

Thank you!!
Beth
adelfio wrote:I think thats a hard one because every italian family changed names for there own reason named after someone is one and in trouble is another try to leave behind something in the old country.
heres a site
http://www.daddezio.com/genealogy/italian/names.html
Marty
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

onyxshadow13 wrote:On a not so, but related subject... I have researched thousands of documents over the past five years and I need some help. My family name changed when my great grandmother and grandfather moved to the states because the name was too long... the name is now FRAIL but noone knows exactly what the original name was. Can anyone help??? to the best of my knowledge they came from Sicily sometime between 1910 and 1920.

Thank you,
Rocky
You better open your own post, this will facilitate both you and the people that may help you.
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

I just saw your link, your book looks so interesing. I am ordering it now. Not only does the story look terrific, it may help me understand my culture better to. I didn't realize we had famous people here! :)

Italysearcher wrote:Saverio is actually Xavier.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

You know Ive had death certificates right on and some not so good you have to remember this info is from a informat family member so sometimes its good and sometimes not so good dates could off and names americanized from there italian names. Start another post for Proto surname
Name: Louise Proto
Age in 1910: 17
Estimated birth year: 1893
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father's name: Raffale Proto
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Mother's name: Madaline Proto
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Home in 1910: New Haven Ward 5, New Haven, Connecticut
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of immigration: 1903
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Raffale Proto 58
Madaline Proto 51
Feliz Proto 26
Josephine Proto 22
Michael Proto 6
Lucy Proto 3
Andrew Proto 2
Amelia Proto 9/12
[0]
Michael Proto 15
Louise Proto 17

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
PunzoNewHaven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PunzoNewHaven »

That's it, you are officially my hero. And I have only said that to two people in my life. And my dad who I love more than life itself is one of them! Thank you AGAIN!
Seriously, if there is anything I can help you with, please tell me!