Got Naturalization record, should i quit?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
oakdale

Got Naturalization record, should i quit?

Post by oakdale »

So i am pursuing citizenship through my maternal grandfather. My grandfather was born in italy in 1905. in 1921, his father, my great grandfather was naturalized.

On the naturalization record, item 6 states he is married, states the name of his wife, and lists the names of his children, including my grandfather, states he was born in italy, and his 3 other children, all born in the US.

While my great grandfather clearly renounced his allegiance to Italy, my grandfather did not sign anywhere on this form. He was a minor at the time. Did he renounce his citizenship by virtue of his father's naturalization? Am i finished here? or should i continue to gather documents?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Got Naturalization record, should i quit?

Post by ricbru »

Dear Oakdale,
yes, you are finished because your father became a US citizen when he was minor, because his father decided for himself and for his minor children. Since citizenship via blood right can be gained when an ancestor never naturalized or naturalized after the birth of his child, in this case your father naturalized before you were born.
The only way to get the italian citizenship via blood right is to move to italy, get a resident permit, and live in Italy for 3 years, at the endo of 3 years you apply in italy, and wait here in italy until you get you italian citizenship (2 more years).
I hope it helps
bye Riccardo
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I concur with Riccardo's analysis. Your grandfather's younger siblings, who were born in the US, were not affected by their father's naturalization despite the fact that their names are listed on his documentation. They received US citizenship through birth so were able to retain their Italian citizenship as well.
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

Actually what about the 1912 rule. It sounds like no one can get their dual citizneship in this case.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I hope you can prove you have at least $75,000 a year guaranteed income from reliable US government sources such as pensions, annuities, social security, etc., and a letter of invitation from an Italian citizen living in Italy because that's what it takes to live legally in Italy, except perhaps if you have a student visa, which would require permission from your parents.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

The 1912 rule is for those who naturalized before that year, in this case the great grandfather moved to USA after 1905, and got his naturalization on 1921, so there is not problem for the descendants of his grandfather's siblings.
ciao Riccardo
corrado wrote:Actually what about the 1912 rule. It sounds like no one can get their dual citizneship in this case.