Photo Identification - CAFARELLIS from Accettura?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Photo Identification - CAFARELLIS from Accettura?

Post by lcafarel »

I recently obtained the attached family wedding photo from one of my husband's CAFARELLI cousins, and we are trying to identify the people in it. My husband's great grandparents, Vincenzo and Grazia Cafarelli, came to the United States from Accettura, Matera, Basilicata, in 1893 with several of their children. Initially, they lived on the lower east side of New York, and later moved to West New York, NJ, just across the Hudson. We suspect that the older couple in front at far left and right may be Vincenzo and Grazia (the man bears a resemblance to some male decendants). We think that the young man in the rear, second from right, may be my husband's grandfather, Nicola Giovanni Cafarelli. We've been told (by her great granddaughter) that the bride is not Nicola's sister Giulietta, but she may be another sister, or the older couple may be the groom's parents (though I doubt it). Other siblings included Domenico, Maria, Giuseppe (Joseph John), Angela (Mildred), Sussia (Susan, Sadie), and Florence.

The photo could be of a different family, however, including a branch of the family still in Italy. If you recognize anyone here, please let me know. Many thanks!
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Photo Identification - CAFARELLIS from Accettura?

Post by bkworm10 »

I don't know anyone in the photo, but I do have a question. Was the photo taken in Accettura or here in NY?

My family is from Accettura, but I have no photos from that town (yet). 12 of my surnames come from that town, but none of them are Cafarelli.

What a beautiful photo!

Annette
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

We don't know where it ws taken, but I suspect it was in New York between 1910 and 1920. Yes, it is a beautiful photo! In higher resolution, some of the faces are especially beautiful.

If you have so many family members from Accettura, there may be a family connection. We don't have any other surnames from there yet.
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

I am going through microfilm right now from Accettura. It is the Marriage processetti for the years 1863-1885. If I see any Cafarelli's, I will let you know the names. If they are relatives, I can make copies for you. I have the microfilm on permanent loan. In fact, all the microfilm I get, will be permanent since it appears all my Italian side came from this small town.

I also have the indexes of births for Accettura in 1883 and 1872 on my computer. I will look through it and see if there are any Cafarellis.

I am ordering 4 more microfilms tomorrow and have 2 more that are on back order right now.

If Vincenzo and Grazia were married in Accettura between the years 1863-1885, there is a good chance I will find them on the microfilm. Then you will know Grazia's maiden name and their parents names. Unfortunately, some years are missing (for example, 1881 and 1882). Do you know approximately when they were married?

My surnames (so far) are Laraia, Sarricchio, Valentino, Filippo, Gioscia, Piliero, Lacovara (twice), Canuso, Mariano, Dinota and Divona. My family settled in Philadelphia (Laraia and Sarricchio) and the rest stayed in Accettura.

Annette
lcafarel
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcafarel »

This is WONDERFUL--thank you! I will check my records and send you some dates. Is there a way to do this via email?

My husband thought that Grazia's name was Maria, so it might appear as Maria Grazia or Grazia Maria. The oldest daughter was named Maria.

I found a wonderful website on the Canuso family from Accettura. Were you involved with that?
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

Check your PM.

Annette
bkworm10
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bkworm10 »

I just checked my birth indexes for 1873 (sorry, it wasn't 1872 as I originally thought) and 1883 and no Cafarelli's.

Tomorrow, as I go through the microfilm, I will look for Cafarelli's. Unfortunately, the processetti has no index. So it will take awhile as I go page by page, looking and deciphering the names. I will probably only get through 2 years in 3 hours. I plan to make an index of these years, eventually. But for now, I'm just trying to find any records with my ancestors surnames.

Annette