Looking for ARENA, ROMEO, PRIMERANO and ZOCCOLI family info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MeghanGT

Looking for ARENA, ROMEO, PRIMERANO and ZOCCOLI family info

Post by MeghanGT »

Buongiorno!

I am trying to locate information about my great-grandparents, Salvatore Arena, aka Salvatore Romeo Arena, aka Salvatore Romeo, DPOB 12/24/1885 or 1886, Santa Cristina d'Aspromonte, Calabria, and Letizia Primerano, DPOB 05/01/1889 in Catanzaro, Calabria. I'm pretty sure about the places of birth, but they might be elsewhere in Calabria.

I have their naturalization papers and various census records, but I'm trying to find out who their parents were so I can continue to trace backwards. I believe that Letizia's parents were Maria Giannini and Francesco Primerano, but I haven't been able to find any civil records to back this up.

I have tried looking on Ellis Island, but I do not know when they came over and there are many people with their names. My nonna says that Salvatore's name was changed from Romeo to Arena when he came through Ellis Island because there were too many Romeos, so some of his records list one or the other or both last names.

Mille grazie for any and all help! I have more information about other family members (their children) and I'd be happy to help out anyone needing it.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Looking for ARENA, ROMEO, PRIMERANO and ZOCCOLI family i

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to the site Need a little info from you Where did they live in the United States that will help and there kids names and lived?
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MeghanGT

Post by MeghanGT »

Thanks for the welcome!

They lived primarily in Connecticut, in Hartford and New Britain, although I think that they may have lived in Philadelphia as well.

Children:

Maria Caterina aka Catherine (born in Italy in 1910ish, rest of kids born in the US, I think) Catherine married Vincent Luppino, son of Cosimo Luppino and Domenica Zoccoli
Nicholas
Angelina
Gloria
Marjorie
Maria Concetta
Francesco (died age 1 or 2)
Rose
Immaculata
Frederick
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Let start at the begining and work back Possible 1930 census Salvatore Arena
1930 United States Federal Census
about Catherine Arena Name: Catherine Arena
Home in 1930: New Britain, Hartford, Connecticut
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1911
Relation to Head of House: Daughter
Father's Name: Salvatore Arena
Mother's Name: Satetia Arena
Race: White
Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Salvatore Arena 45
Satetia Arena 42
Catherine Arena 19
Nicky Arena 17
Angeline Arena 16
Marg E Arena 14
Marie Arena 12
Elleanor Arena 8
Rosie Arena 6
Gloria Arena 4
Frances Arena 10/12
The census
http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6291/arenafm.jpg

Marty A
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MeghanGT

Post by MeghanGT »

Hi Marty,

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it. I already have all of the available US census records, unfortunately I can't seem to find any info about Salvatore and Letizia's parentage and that's what I'm trying to figure out. I've been trying to look for marriage and/or death certificates, which I think would list the parental info. They both died in Connecticut, and I'm waiting to get the certs from CT Vital Records, but I'm not sure where they were married (Italy or CT). If they were married in Italy, I'm not yet sure how to go about searching; do you have any ideas?

Thank you for your patience with a rank newbie!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Ok heres some info on Salvatore Romeo Arena draft card WWII
http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/417/arenadraft.jpg
So it says Santa Caterini Calabria Italy 12/24 1885 why do think he was born in Santa Cristina d'Aspromonte then?

Marty

Marty
MeghanGT

Post by MeghanGT »

That's what I'd always been told by family, perhaps they (or I!) mixed up this POB with somewhere or someone else. I'll have to see what the death record says.