DiBacco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MelDiBacco

DiBacco

Post by MelDiBacco »

When I was younger I started researching my family history. It never got too far, so I am starting it back up again. I have only been able to trace back to my great grandparents.

I am trying to figure out other then Ellis Island where else they might have come into. They arent listed on the manifests, but I know they settled in Philadelphia.

So I am just putting it out there to see if anyone has any information that might be helpful!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: DiBacco

Post by adelfio »

Welcome a little info like names or birthdates of your great grandparents would help with the researching

Thank you
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
MelDiBacco

Post by MelDiBacco »

I do know their names, and some birth/death information.

Palma DiBacco was born in 1909 and she died in 1988. I was able to locate her exact birth/death date on the SSN Death Index. I believe her maiden name was Tufano.

Eligio DiBacco was born in 1901 and he died in 1952. I was not able to find him on the SSN Death Index, so he might not have had one. I don't know the history of social security numbers, so he might have died before they were mandatory?

I haven't been able to find anything on the Ellis Island website for the names or birthdates for them. Their oldest son was born in 1930 in Philadelphia, so I know they were here prior to that.

So I was wondering if there was another port, possibly in Baltimore or even Philadelphia, they might have come in on instead of Ellis Island.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Perhaps this one?

Atlantic Ports Passenger Lists, 1820-1873 and 1893-1959
about Eligio Dibacco
Name: Eligio Dibacco
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1901
Birthplace: Bagnaga, Italy
Ethnic Background: Italian
Arrival Date: 10 Sep 1923
Port of Arrival: Providence, Rhode Island
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ship Name: Patria
Friend's Name: Carlo Di Tommaso
Last Residence: Italy
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

And, if this census record is correct, we won't find passenger list for Palma as she was born in PA.

1930 United States Federal Census
about Alegro Dibacco
Name: Alegro Dibacco
Home in 1930: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
View Map
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1903
Relation to Head of House: Son-in-Law
Spouse's Name: Palmena Dibacco
Race: White

Education:

Military Service:

Rent/home value:

Age at first marriage:

Parents' birthplace: View image
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Lorenzo Tufano 63
Rose Tufano 61
Palmena Dibacco 21
Alegro Dibacco 27
Carmen Tufano 27
Elizabeth Tufano 17
MelDiBacco

Post by MelDiBacco »

Wow. Thank you so much. I don't know why I couldn't find anything on Eligio. I really appreciate it.

I don't think that is the same Palma. I'll have to ask my Aunt though. She started some history and actually visited Italy.

Now I can continue my research :)
MelDiBacco

Post by MelDiBacco »

You are exactly right. That is my great-grandmother. I looked up the census page and it looks like they just spelled my great-grandfathers name incorrectly. This is fabulous information! It looks like I have additional family to track down.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Oh, excellent! I thought perhaps the odds of more than one Eligio Dibacco marrying a Palma Tufano would be high. :)

(And the misspellings abound. My personal favorite to date is finding my g-grandfather, Pietro Roccanova, listed as Parks Borzahura. :) )